What's new

Korg Opsix & Wavestate Native!

Now I'm leaning towards getting neither one of them.

Nothing I heard so far produced enough GAS to purchase. Plus at $149, they aren't the most economical virtual synths, and I already have a great selection of hardware, and virtual synths. I think I will keep my wallet happy.

What do you guys think of Wavestate? I've downloaded the demo and though I was excited about the hardware version of it the software version seems very similar to but not as good as Pigments.

But, I'm still testing and hoping.
I downloaded the demo of Wavestate and decided to pass. I thought it would be a great addition but was underwhelmed after demoing. The demo timed out in 20 minutes so I didn't get to explore much but I've decided to put my money into the new Native Instruments Playbox release.

I downloaded the demo of Wavestate and decided to pass. I thought it would be a great addition but was underwhelmed after demoing. The demo timed out in 20 minutes so I didn't get to explore much but I've decided to put my money into the new Native Instruments Playbox release.
Yeah, I bailed on Wavestate before it timed out. It's actually a great instrument that is easy to use. The ability to arp the layers independently is very interesting. It's more of a musical instrument than I expeceted....but the sound is weak. I think that the hardware amps contribute more to the sound of the real Wavestate than I understood because the vst version sound wise didn't even compare to other VST sample based synths I have. Disappointed.

Playbox huh? Sounds interesting.

Same here
so in Logic, Wavestate seems to ply OK most of the time without clicks, but the Logic performance meter shows significant CPU load, spiking to the top when you release notes. In Cubase or S1 native, it creates audible overload artifacts.

This is on my M1 after reinstalling MacOS 12.3

Yeah, I bailed on Wavestate before it timed out. It's actually a great instrument that is easy to use. The ability to arp the layers independently is very interesting. It's more of a musical instrument than I expeceted....but the sound is weak. I think that the hardware amps contribute more to the sound of the real Wavestate than I understood because the vst version sound wise didn't even compare to other VST sample based synths I have. Disappointed.

Playbox huh? Sounds interesting.
Same. It's fun in an old school Rompler kinda way but sonically it doesn't compete with the big boys in VI land. $200CAD is way too steep especially when Cherry Audio is releasing gems at like $35

I couldn't even demo them! Installed the Software Pass and it listed only the synths I have. Uninstalled and installed again! Nothing! it is the same damn problem I had when they released Triton!!

Korg support is shit! I wrote them several times and they ignored me! Nah! It is over with Korg now! I don't even want to buy or use anything from them anymore :(

This is what appears on my Software Pass! I'm going to delete everything! I don't want to see their name again! I purchased the upgrade to Arturia Collection 8 from my v7 for $99 and spending a good time with it instead!

Attachments

• Korg Software Pass.jpg
    Korg Software Pass.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 3
I ended up grabbing it. Once I eq’d it a bit and hit up some of the prefx I was having a good time - you can definitely get it sounding big without a lot of effort.

Last edited:
so in Logic, Wavestate seems to ply OK most of the time without clicks, but the Logic performance meter shows significant CPU load, spiking to the top when you release notes. In Cubase or S1 native, it creates audible overload artifacts.

This is on my M1 after reinstalling MacOS 12.3
I was thinking about upgrading to 12 so please keep us informed if you’re able to chat to Korg about it.

I have a MacbookPro with a M1 max chip. I'm on 12.3. I don't use Logic anymore, I use Bitwig. I launched 4 instances of the wavestatenative and programmed in a 4 bar sequence and set it to loop continuously. There were no audible pops clicks or artifacts. The DSP Performance Graph did not look like the system was stressing out at all. There would be a quick spike from time to time, but Bitwig seemed to be as cool as a cucumber. Now, take that with a grain of salt, because it was a super casual test and it was by no means a real world setting.
When I opened Logic to test it, I did the same 4 bar loop over 4 tracks. My CPU meter was ok, except when I hit stop, then 1 Core would stay pegged at 100% and would gradually drop down to 75%, then back up to 100, then drop to 50% then up to 100. I waited for 45 seconds and this behavior still continued. Bitwig did not exhibit the same behavior. As I said, grain of salt. It's 4:27AM and I'm still suprised I can type.

When people are talking about cpu meters, are they tracking each of the cores? (4 efficiency, 4 performance on a standard M1)

I didn’t see them at first but I had to update the Korg Software Pass to have them appear.
Anyway, if you already went for Arturia Collection 8…
Good collection from Arturia.
I don't know really why I have such problem?! There is a glitch in my account as well that prevents me from upgrading! Korg doesn't want to correct it (or even answer me!).
I loved Korg in the past but because of their attitude, I lost interest in any product from them! There are good alternatives, so luckily I don't need them :)

Arturia has a good products and support, so that I like to buy from them. The digital synths are amazing together with some of the analog emulations. Even the first (rather weak) synths are not bad and still usable (Modular and CS 80 for example).

I have a MacbookPro with a M1 max chip. I'm on 12.3. I don't use Logic anymore, I use Bitwig. I launched 4 instances of the wavestatenative and programmed in a 4 bar sequence and set it to loop continuously. There were no audible pops clicks or artifacts. The DSP Performance Graph did not look like the system was stressing out at all. There would be a quick spike from time to time, but Bitwig seemed to be as cool as a cucumber. Now, take that with a grain of salt, because it was a super casual test and it was by no means a real world setting.
When I opened Logic to test it, I did the same 4 bar loop over 4 tracks. My CPU meter was ok, except when I hit stop, then 1 Core would stay pegged at 100% and would gradually drop down to 75%, then back up to 100, then drop to 50% then up to 100. I waited for 45 seconds and this behavior still continued. Bitwig did not exhibit the same behavior. As I said, grain of salt. It's 4:27AM and I'm still suprised I can type.
Interesting. I also have a Bitwig license (although I don't use it often) and I tried Wavestate there just now. I agree it is much better behaved there than in Logic or Cubase. I can see an occasional spike after note release, but it causes no audible issues. The CPU repeatedly spiking after notes are released in Logic is exactly what I see as well. I don't have issues while actually sending MIDI notes - it is while at idle or during note releases the CPU goes nuts. It is very well behaved if the tracks are not record armed or monitored. I tried turning ASIO Guard off in Cubase just to see if that had an effect, but there was no change

I don't know really why I have such problem?! There is a glitch in my account as well that prevents me from upgrading! Korg doesn't want to correct it (or even answer me!).
I loved Korg in the past but because of their attitude, I lost interest in any product from them! There are good alternatives, so luckily I don't need them :)

Arturia has a good products and support, so that I like to buy from them. The digital synths are amazing together with some of the analog emulations. Even the first (rather weak) synths are not bad and still usable (Modular and CS 80 for example).
I'm sure they aren't ignoring you on purpose.

Top Bottom