What's new

Kontakt - Is there a way to batch resave with samples?

Guy Rowland

I have a Kontakt library where I only really use about 2% of the patches, about 70 nkis. I'd love to make a version with just those patches for the macbook. I was hoping they'd all use samples from just one of the nkx files but alas, they are liberally spread all over the place, even though they only use a couple of samples per patch. Grr.

I've been merrily using batch resave for years, but there's no obvious way to batch resave with samples (either in a separate folder or as monoliths). Anything I've missed or any tricks? Thanks in advance.

You cannot save as patch+samples an officially encoded Player library. That's a part of the deal when going for Player encoding.

You cannot save as patch+samples an officially encoded Player library. That's a part of the deal when going for Player encoding.
Well that's the weird thing - on an individual patch basis saved as a monolith, it seems to work in 7.8.0. It did ask for a missing .nkr file, but when I pointed it at it the patch loaded very happily.

Maybe I should have kept quiet about this - mods, feel free to delete if this is a major issue.

Oh well if it's a non-Player library then of course those can be saved as monoliths, and then later broken back into patch+samples. The thing is that if the instrument uses an NKR, the path to it is not stored as a relative one inside the monolith, so if you move things around it will ask for missing NKR even if you moved them together, as a consequence.

But yeah you cannot batch resave with patch+samples directly from a menu entry. You technically could do it in K7.5+ by using a Kontakt Lua API script to go through a particular folder and resaving all of NKIs in it as patch+samples. But this then puts those NKIs as requiring K7.5 or above.

This is happening with a player library on a Mac 7.8.0. Intriguingly, it doesn't let me save it in Kontakt 6.8.0.

Whoops....

This is happening with a player library on a Mac 7.8.0. Intriguingly, it doesn't let me save it in Kontakt 6.8.0.

Whoops....
So you could re-save the samples with K7.8 but then use the original K6 nki to open those newly saved samples. As Mario said; also making sure that you save the nkr resources.

So you could re-save the samples with K7.8 but then use the original K6 nki to open those newly saved samples. As Mario said; also making sure that you save the nkr resources.
No that wouldn't work because once you've saved in a newer version it won't load in the older version.

After some more testing, saving as an instrument and separate samples works and reloads just fine in K7.8.0. BUT - it does not work on a library downloaded through Native Access. This is a third party Player library that I located through Native Access. That DOES work in K7, but not K6.

So - tedious though it is - the answer is to do this one-by-one, then collate all the samples into a single folder, then batch resave. It will only open in K7, but it will reduce the library size for me by about 99%. A delightful future weekend of fun awaits.

Those are all Player encoded libraries. Exporting as patch+samples is NOT allowed for any Player library using NKX monoliths.
So what's the difference between a player encoded library downloaded through Native Access, and a player encoded library that is downloaded from the developer but located through Native Access? The former doesn't work in K6 or K7, the latter doesn't work in K6 but DOES in K7. With the monlith the nkr file isn't liked, but it all works first time saving it as a patch plus samples instead.

Doesn't matter, encoded is encoded. If it uses NKX monoliths you cannot save it as patch+samples. I have a bajillion of such libraries, you can't do it on any of them, at least not on an official version of Kontakt. Proof, here's a non-NA deployed library from Impact Soundworks, relative recent K7 release:

1709125428609.png

You cannot pick the "patch + samples" nor "monolith" options!

Doesn't matter, encoded is encoded. If it uses NKX monoliths you cannot save it as patch+samples. I have a bajillion of such libraries, you can't do it on any of them, at least not on an official version of Kontakt. Proof, here's a non-NA deployed library from Impact Soundworks, relative recent K7 release:

1709125428609.png

You cannot pick the "patch + samples" nor "monolith" options!
Well that's not what I have here with one library, and it's all most definitely official. I'll PM as this could be commercially sensitive.

No that wouldn't work because once you've saved in a newer version it won't load in the older version.
It will work and I've done it many, many times to get rid of unwanted mic positions etc!

Once K7.8 has re-saved, disregard/delete the new K7.8 nki (but not the samples). Copy the old K6 nki somewhere else (so it doesn't look in the original location for the samples) and then open and direct it to the newly saved samples. I would also copy the nkr to the newly saved sample location as well.

EDIT:

If you are also deleting mic positions, to avoid the "ignore this time" and "one or more kontakt instances can not be recalled...." (present from K6.2 onwards):

Open the instrument(s) edit view, go to Mapping Editor then right-click in the mapping area and choose the option "Remove all zones with missing samples". Then re-save the project (& instrument if you chose to).

It will work and I've done it many, many times to get rid of unwanted mic positions etc!

Once K7.8 has re-saved, disregard/delete the new K7.8 nki (but not the samples). Copy the old K6 nki somewhere else (so it doesn't look in the original location for the samples) and then open and direct it to the newly saved samples. I would also copy the nkr to the newly saved sample location as well.

EDIT:

If you are also deleting mic positions, to avoid the "ignore this time" and "one or more kontakt instances can not be recalled...." (present from K6.2 onwards):

Open the instrument(s) edit view, go to Mapping Editor then right-click in the mapping area and choose the option "Remove all zones with missing samples". Then re-save the project (& instrument if you chose to).
Ah gotya, yes that would work. One more step but could be worth it...

Top Bottom