What's new

Kontakt 6.8?

Yes, of course. You can even see the samples are loaded into RAM from the screenshot.
You were right. But that's frustrating, because it proves that the samples could still be read by Kontakt 5. It's voluntarily that they block it. So I downgraded back the library to keep on using it with K5. A quick browse gave me the impression that the interface was more funky, but the content more or less the same.

It's voluntarily that they block it.
Who are you referring to with "they"? It's at the nki encoding level, so it's not a matter with NI but the sample library developer. Maybe you are confusing opening nki files and reading samples which are 2 different things.

If the nki was saved for Kontakt 7 then only Kontakt 7 and onwards will be able to open the nki (I'm not talking about playing the samples even though you need an nki file to play them). But if the library was released for Kontakt 5 and granted you still have the corresponding nki files and didn't delete sample files, you should always be able to open your library with K5.

That's why you should always save your nki files before updating.

Again, regarding opening older project, you shouldn't have this issue as the old nki is stored inside your project file so every old project will (should?) play fine.

Who are you referring to with "they"? It's at the nki encoding level, so it's not a matter with NI but the sample library developer. Maybe you are confusing opening nki files and reading samples which are 2 different things.

If the nki was saved for Kontakt 7 then only Kontakt 7 and onwards will be able to open the nki (I'm not talking about playing the samples even though you need an nki file to play them). But if the library was released for Kontakt 5 and granted you still have the corresponding nki files and didn't delete sample files, you should always be able to open your library with K5.

That's why you should always save your nki files before updating.

Again, regarding opening older project, you shouldn't have this issue as the old nki is stored inside your project file so every old project will (should?) play fine.
Yes, by "they", I was implying the developers. The proof that it's not a mandatory move: others, such as Sonuscore, don't do that way, by allowing several iterations of the library (one K5 and one more advanced K6 or 7, for instance).

Yes, by "they", I was implying the developers. The proof that it's not a mandatory move: others, such as Sonuscore, don't do that way, by allowing several iterations of the library (one K5 and one more advanced K6 or 7, for instance).
It's up to you to backup old nki, any nki released for a specific Kontakt version will be able to open this same library even if it (the library) was updated for Kontakt 14... unless samples were erased ... "somehow"?? Even so you will have an error message stating samples are missing, not that your Kontakt version is too old.

The NKR and NKXs might also be updated in library updates though, and if those are encoded for K6 or K7, your K5 NKI can no longer access them.

The NKR and NKXs might also be updated in library updates though, and if those are encoded for K6 or K7, your K5 NKI can no longer access them.
Not saying this never happened, but I personally have never seen a nkr or nkx file being replaced. They all have name with number iterations so the new one doesn't replace and erase the old one.

This may also have never happened to me because I backup almost every nki and nkr (not nkx) prior to updating.

It's up to you to backup old nki, any nki released for a specific Kontakt version will be able to open this same library even if it (the library) was updated for Kontakt 14... unless samples were erased ... "somehow"?? Even so you will have an error message stating samples are missing, not that your Kontakt version is too old.
Do you know what happens with older nkis when updates fix the actual samples? I’ve wondered about that situation.

Do you know what happens with older nkis when updates fix the actual samples? I’ve wondered about that situation.
To my "knowledge", when there are "fixes" to samples, the deprecated samples are not replaced but added to a new nkx container, so your old samples are still on your HD.

To still use Symphobia as an example, their libraries have been updated countless of times with several GB new samples. If you open your sample folder, you will see that the nkx containers have numbers in their file names like 113 (this was for the 1.1.3 update), 150 (1.5 update), 16 (1.6 update), 200, 210 etc. Resources files also have different names.

It means that if you load the nki from 2009-2010 like in my previous screenshot, everything will be playable even though new samples were recorded for the same but updated patch.

This being said, I'm not sure all this applies to Kt libraries not compatible with Kt player because the devs will have more liberties with how they handle their samples... often for the worse because they don't use a logical and strict protocol. In this case *maybe*, samples can get replaced if filenames are identical.

I've just had this exact problem though, I kept the K5 NKI and NKR, but the new K7 NKXs are unreadable by K5.

Top Bottom