What's new

Just how big do Logic files get these days?

The instrument on a disabled track still contains all the data Kontakt saves in the project. The data is there, but Logic doesn't load it with the actual instrument into RAM.
On this issue, or at least in this thread, it seems VIC is a write-only medium ;)

(remember: disabled/hidden tracks take up just as much project-file space as enabled/visible tracks.)
Unloading/disabling plugin instances saves memory and CPU when the project is open but, as I say, instances take the same amount of space whether or not they're enabled/loaded.
Loading or unloading of plugins has no effect project file size.
Disabling tracks does not change the file size. I don't know any other way of saying it, so here's a picture. [...]

Which version of Logic do you use? And – have you ever seen this message?

Load as needed.png
Also, have you had a look at what happens with your file size after you have executed a 'Clean up...'? Unless something has changed recently, it's important to NOT save the project again after you have had a clean-up – but make sure you Save just before the clean-up.
Thanks, yes I have it set to only load plugins as needed. The not saving after Cleanup is going to help though, I do Save after that even though I see the file size jump up. I've experimented with not then and reopening and everything was always fine but I figured better to be safe than sorry. But this is a case where it's better to be not sorry than safe. Or something.

I'm in Logic 10.8, was waiting for the inevitable gremlins to be hunted down and murdered before updating.

Well, I'm happy that they returned the track power button behavior to the pre-10.8 mode, mainly because I use that as a mute button! Years ago I changed my key commands so that pressing M toggles the power button instead of the track mute button. I did this so that "muted" tracks didn't take up resources during playback, which they would still do when using the actual mute button (which I refer to as "mixer mute"). I don't mind the slight delay when tracks are un-muted, since I often have dozens of tracks that I don't want to hear but also don't want to delete.... yet. I also don't want them to completely un-load and disable their plugins, I just want them paused for a while. I do use "Load Empty Tracks As Disabled" which speeds Project load times, that's a nice feature for sure.

Good thing I wait so long to update, long enough for Logic to change the behavior and then change it back to what I'm used to!
I do the same thing, wanting to take unnecessary pressure off the cpu as I often do folders with alternative sections. Case in point the spot I'm working on the client wanted to hear a bunch of options for the opening couple of bars and doing actual Logic Alternatives would mean closing and reopening constantly — as you say they are different files and it's no different than closing the project and opening another, arg... And the mute button doesn't affect cpu usage the thing is still playing

Last edited:
Speaking of cpu, the M1 was supposed to be headroom infinity but not so much. I still need to click on an unused track to keep it from overloading. Isn't the future supposed to be now?

Okay that's another thread I guess.

Speaking of cpu, the M1 was supposed to be headroom infinity but not so much. I still need to click on an unused track to keep it from overloading. Isn't the future supposed to be now?
When a track is selected, Logic assumes that it'll be used live and allocates resources differently. If you go to "Logic Pro", "Settings", "Audio", "Devices" you can flip the "Multithreading" setting between "Playback Tracks" vs "Playback & Live Tracks" to see which suits. Whilst you're there, make sure that "Processing threads" is set to "Automatic" - a lot of people seem to have gone for custom settings there, but it tends to make things worse.

For an M1 with samples on an SSD, you'll generally get the most headroom by setting low DFD buffers (in Kontakt, a.k.a. preload buffers most other places) and high I/O Buffer Size (in Logic settings.) If the latency from a high I/O Buffer Size is a problem, you can lower it and add a bit more preload if necessary.

Reactions: Vik
When a track is selected, Logic assumes that it'll be used live and allocates resources differently. If you go to "Logic Pro", "Settings", "Audio", "Devices" you can flip the "Multithreading" setting between "Playback Tracks" vs "Playback & Live Tracks" to see which suits. Whilst you're there, make sure that "Processing threads" is set to "Automatic" - a lot of people seem to have gone for custom settings there, but it tends to make things worse.

For an M1 with samples on an SSD, you'll generally get the most headroom by setting low DFD buffers (in Kontakt, a.k.a. preload buffers most other places) and high I/O Buffer Size (in Logic settings.) If the latency from a high I/O Buffer Size is a problem, you can lower it and add a bit more preload if necessary.
Thanks Aldous I knew most of this, but it had fallen out of what little ram is left in my head. :) Appreciate it!

For the record, adlous very kindly took a look at a project file for me and the bloat is largely coming from Kontakt and Opus instances. I have tons of Kontakt instances, Opus less so they're more for sketching... The instances range from a meg or so to 11ish. It adds up fast.

For the record, adlous very kindly took a look at a project file for me and the bloat is largely coming from Kontakt and Opus instances. I have tons of Kontakt instances, Opus less so they're more for sketching... The instances range from a meg or so to 11ish. It adds up fast.
@Soundhound

My advise for you: once you're done with the project, you delete the tracks with all the Kontakt instances that do not play. Then you go to Project Management > Clean Up and you'll end up with a much small file size.

Last edited:
@Soundhound

My advise for you: once you're done with the project, you delete the tracks with all the Kontakt instances that do not play. Then you go to Project Management > Clean Up and you'll end up with a much small file size.
I do do that (when I remember to :)) the trick is when working I keep things around until the job is done just in case I need them, and as a result those files tend be quite big.

Top Bottom