What's new

Junkie XL Brass?

I never hear demos before buying a library. My worst purchases were because of great sounding demos for actually inferior libraries. I also heard bad demos for libraries I really like. It´s just too personal and often mixed with other stuff and processed. Walkthroughs are way better for me to judge a library. But I have to say that even the second walkthrough was not very enlightening for me. In my oppinion, OT has to work on that still. I preordered anyway.

Tom's demo and the Walkthrough 2 kind of cleared the air in regards to the issues that most of us were having with the initial material released. All these other demos now display a lot of those initial issues.

None of the OT prior product demos or walkthroughs sound as mediocre as these ones - I'm referring to the production side of the demos and not judging the writing. Maybe OT is working around the clock to meet the release date and so on and these promo materials did not go through the same QC process as with the other promo products they've released. If that's the case, then just release the one demo that is the best in every aspect.

I have pre-ordered as well.

All of these demos reinforce the same strange gradient impression for me. The lower the instrument, the more impressively cinematic and useful it sounds. Agree with @AlexRuger that the tuba is a standout. Suppose that you just landed a gig that needed lots of that huge brass and you would in other circumstances be looking at Albion 3 or Musical Sampling Trailer Brass, buying just the trombones and tuba from JXLB could be an even better option. You gotta stand in awe at the number of choices here including the ability to write true divisi for TWELVE TROMBONES! What the heck! This truly takes low brass sampling to a new level of options. By contrast the horn sounds aren't really markedly better or worse than what I own, and the trumpets aren't really doin' it for me. Overall it's a library that goes firmly on my "If you get Gig X, make sure to buy Library Y before you start" list.

Last edited:
Hello fellow composers,
I had the opportunity of working with the JXL library prior to the release and write an official demo for Orchestral Tools. I feel very honored that this track is shared alongside Tom Holkenborg and Alex Pfeffer's work.

Your work here is through-the-roof momumental!

Your are a genius!!!

Yikes... To be honest the demos are kind of turning me off. OT usually puts up demos that sound like they were made by someone who has actually studied music. Kind of disappointed in this overhyped "epic" sounding stuff that can be done with any brass library really. The last one is nice, but not my style. I really wish they'd just do some mahler or something as a demo....

The JXL ones are good too, but we've heard those before.

Are you getting JXL today?

No, not at the moment. I figured, I'm covered pretty well with HWB, CSB and Cinebrass .. its a strong combo .. looking at Berlin Strings instead ..ok, thats completely OT (off topic, not Orchestral Tools :P)

Last edited:
@Nils Neumann - Listening to your demo again, the trumpets seem to be located in a more traditional orchestra location. Is this a property of any of the mic positions without panning? Or did you use ORTF + panning to locate the trumpets?

Would you please be willing to elaborate more about how you mixed the mic positions, panning, and any additional reverbs? But if you cannot share that information, no problem at all.

I'm interested in using this with Berlin Brass. From other demos it seems like solo trombones and horns will be basically in situ in a similar panning position. But the trumpet, I couldn't tell, it seems like it will be more centered. The walkthrough #2 mentions those excerpts are using the AMXL tree only. So this is why I am asking :)

Hearing the demos convinces me not to buy JXL Brass. It may be due the quality of the demos themselves, of course, but I don't think that is the case - at least not for the major part! These demos just show a Brass library without the slightest transparency that would be needed for a realistic orchestration. That in itself wouldn't be a problem, if they were sold as a "hybrid sound library" for hyped music styles like trailer. But they were sold as a versatile and "true" orchestral library. I cannot hear that in any of the demos. Yeah, sure! There are some quiet parts and one demo deliberately tries to go into another direction. But all of these demos share some unpleasant tone that just tells me - don't buy me. Today, I would still go for Berlin Brass before this one, even though it has its own problems like a lack of dynamic layers and inconsistency. Maybe, the middle ground between Berlin Brass and this would be the ideal library ... Berlin Brass with just 1-2 additional dynamic layers per instrument, leaving out the 12-Horn patch or the 6 trumpet patch. But I guess, that would rather be the JW-Brass, not the JXL-Brass ... ;)

I must say...I preordered cause the long walkthrough seemed good to me, but....guys, listening to those demos is making me have lots of 2nd thoughts about if it was really worth it. I do have hollywood brass, CSB, BBCSO (even though I'm about to erase the entire brass of that one)...I guess to have those massive patches for when clients call for the HZ big thing it'll be useful. Same happened with BBC...lots of hype around, was expecting something that'd really replace most of the stuff in the template and at the end...some strings, some wws, and timpani/harp/cromatics is what I'm using from there, but not really most of the thing. Would love to hear a demo that tries to sound realistic or make the library sound well (Andy Blaney should get some royalties on BBCSO sells, really). Let's see when we get it tomorrow...

I must say...I preordered cause the long walkthrough seemed good to me, but....guys, listening to those demos is making me have lots of 2nd thoughts about if it was really worth it. I do have hollywood brass, CSB, BBCSO (even though I'm about to erase the entire brass of that one)...I guess to have those massive patches for when clients call for the HZ big thing it'll be useful. Same happened with BBC...lots of hype around, was expecting something that'd really replace most of the stuff in the template and at the end...some strings, some wws, and timpani/harp/cromatics is what I'm using from there, but not really most of the thing. Would love to hear a demo that tries to sound realistic or make the library sound well (Andy Blaney should get some royalties on BBCSO sells, really). Let's see when we get it tomorrow...

Does Tom's demo not do it for you? I think that sounds amazing. I agree, that most of the demos aren't that great though....which seems unlike Orchestral Tools.

Does Tom's demo not do it for you? I think that sounds amazing. I agree, that most of the demos aren't that great though....which seems unlike Orchestral Tools.
it's the best one yes...but still a lot of blocky midi fanfare thing, no nice transitions, very detached and not a great legato in my opinion. I mean...it sounds nice but doesn't leave much the realm of midi mockup, for me.

I do a lot of medium budget movies (supersmall for LA standards, of course). When you don't get 300k to record an orchestra, and you have 20k to spend maybe recording in budapest, you know you'll have pretty ok strings but not great brass, and sometimes deciding between that brass and using midi becomes a tough decision. Just listen to Anthony Willis really nice score for this new How to train your dragon thing. Great strings done in London, but the brass is really saying "hey, I'm fake .

JXL won't have that problem, just needs a nice sounding mockup and expensive LA players will do the rest. But us, "mid class composers" do deal with this, and we just hope for things that really sound real, that's why we get so picky. I do appreciate, though, the effort and care you've put into it!, @OrchestralTools and @Real JXL . I don't want to seem harsch! but...I don't seem to hear a really nice shining demo...trying to make it sound really real. At least spitfire really fooled us all with BBC!. hehe

Of course, though, we have the best libraries we've ever had! so...we're getting better! At some point we won't really hear the difference, which will be good and sad at the same time.

just my humble opinion...

Can I just break a lance for the people who have been making demos here? Really getting to know a library and becoming good at composing with it, using it's strengths and circumventing it's weaknesses, takes months! (If not years).
I can't honestly expect early demos like this to be getting the most out of this library. And given how quickly they were made honestly I'm impressed.
In truth the walkthroughs tell me more of what I want to know about the library than the demos do, unless maybe Blaney gets his hands on them for about half a year. But to expect more doesn't seem any kind of fair to me.

it's the best one yes...but still a lot of blocky midi fanfare thing, no nice transitions, very detached and not a great legato in my opinion. I mean...it sounds nice but doesn't leave much the realm of midi mockup, for me.

I do a lot of medium budget movies (supersmall for LA standards, of course). When you don't get 300k to record an orchestra, and you have 20k to spend maybe recording in budapest, you know you'll have pretty ok strings but not great brass, and sometimes deciding between that brass and using midi becomes a tough decision. Just listen to Anthony Willis really nice score for this new How to train your dragon thing. Great strings done in London, but the brass is really saying "hey, I'm fake .

JXL won't have that problem, just needs a nice sounding mockup and expensive LA players will do the rest. But us, "mid class composers" do deal with this, and we just hope for things that really sound real, that's why we get so picky. I do appreciate, though, the effort and care you've put into it!, @OrchestralTools and @Real JXL .

Of course, though, we have the best libraries we've ever had! so...we're getting better! At some point we won't really hear the difference, which will be good and sad at the same time.

just my humble opinion...

I agree it isnt 100% and gives the game away on a couple of occasions. But honestly, it is pretty damn good.

I actually think it copes with the really short fanfare type stuff very well and pretty convincingly.

Also, in most of the demos (including Tom's), the brass still sounds more realistic than the strings and winds.

The biggest annoyance, is that no company has really been able to get string and woodwind runs right yet. Runs are the absolute biggest tell in any mock up. They still just sounds so fake.

From what I've heard so far in the walkthroughs and on the SINE videos, this library offers a lot of tonal shaping options with respect to the unprocessed samples, extensive mic positions, as well as some of the additional sculpting of the envelopes releases, round robins, etc. There also seems to be quite a dynamic range in all the instruments - in particular I was very impressed with the piano - piano pianissimo range. The softer samples sound gorgeous.

It's possible that the demos that some have gotten an unfavorable impression of may be using a more processed mix or mic combinations that don't necessarily reflect their own aesthetic.

So I think once we have a chance to get this library under our fingers and learn what the new SINE player can do, we'll really have a better idea of the range of this library. Every library takes a little time to discover and to get to know what's under the hood... and in time you start to find each instrument's sweet spot and where it shines. There are a lot of options on offer and I don't think this a one trick pony.

I would reserve final judgment until this time and not be too discouraged if you hear something you don't like - it's still early folks, give it a chance and try it for yourself.

I think at this point I am honestly more excited for Berlin Brass and other older libraries being available for SINE if it is as powerful as it seems to be in the walkthroughs. Let us also remember that OT libraries will soon be available a la carte anyways...

Tom demos are great.

But, just like someone said here, the compositions that used extensive string and woodwind runs really show the lack of realism. The rest sounds good.

I am guessing those are berlin strings and ot string runs?

Man that's were old sf sable is great... Runs.

Top Bottom