What's new

Intel 12th gen or 5950x

i9 12900K or Ryzen 5950X or i5 12600k

• Total voters
Add an extra 140mm fan to the case front

Does the GPU is silent?
Small fan is very noisy...
What I do with my GPUs is to use 120mm fans, wayyyy more silent.

To control all the fans in the system
The good part is that it can make the case fans to react to both CPU and GPU temperature!

Last edited:
I'm not sure if jumping to Win11 right now is a good idea. This OS is still WIP. While it may be fine for casual computer usage or an office job, I wouldn't recommend it for a serious DAW.
So, CPU optimisation for Win11 doesn't mean much because OS itself needs a lot of optimisation in the first place. Besides that, it's not like W11 is a totally new OS that would require some kind of special optimisations from modern CPUs t work properly. After all, it's W10 at its core. Installing W11 today you agree to be an unofficial beta tester. There's a reason why even Microsoft is not pushing W10 users to upgrade to W11 yet ;)

DDR5: for how long do you expect to keep this build? If it's for about 5 years, then I wouldn't expect drastic changes in audio software that would greatly benefit (or change workflow completely) within that period. But if you want to keep your build for >5 years, let's say 10, then having an option to change to DDR5 without changing CPU and MB may not be a bad idea.

My vote is for AMD. I moved from Intel to AMD (3900x) last year, and to this day, I'm impressed by how efficient AMD CPUs are. Just keep in mind that sometimes AMD likes to have issues with RAM, and it may require a bit of tweaking in BIOS to get the best performance out of your RAM. I had plenty of issues, but it was probably because of not the best BIOS version - update fixed it for good.

Ps. I agree about W10 UI. It's horrid! Unfortunately, 3rd party 'UI changers' often cause more issues and UI glitches.

Small-medium workstation I'm easily going for 12600k. Get's within 15% MT of 5900x at almost half the price, why would I look at anything else. Large workstation 5950x I think makes most sense, it's efficient and proven. These are the only two cpus I'd look at if I was building a new machine with the 12700k being distant 3rd place.

Both are great CPUs and 12600K is a great CPU and would be most likely an overkill unless you have HUGE HUGE projects. I would just get the one that is either cheaper or available.

scan audio answers your question in detail. It’s not that simple as looking at geekbench values.
To be honest I’m not a huge fan of these tests either. It’s straight multi core stacking which is not what the average project looks like. No bussing or master fx, no testing of asio stability when recording live audio in a session that is already large. There are also weird things, like how there’s no tangible reason given for why the 10900x outperforms the 10900k in the VI portion, when it has the same number of cores on the same 14nm and typically clocks much lower.

Not saying I don’t appreciate the work I just don’t think it thoroughly reflects real world usage.

Happy AMD 3950X user here. Great performance with Cubase 10.5 on Win10.
Am looking to upgrade to the 5950x, or the newer tba Ryzen 6000 series model with the 3D V-cache; waiting on the reviews and benchmarks for audio and especially VI use. (EDIT not sure if that 6000 series will be copmatible with AM4 .. there could be a 5950X 'refresh' too.)

When comparing the AMD to the intel model at the time ('Q1 2020), I remember liking the architecture more of the Intel and the Intel mobo's looked better organized and more pro. Also more RAM was possible with intel. Not sure what the situation is today.

Last edited:
Yesterday i installed a new processor. I had a seven year old I7 that was reaching it’s limits more than once. Got the AMD Ryzen 7 5800X cheap during BF and also upgraded the motherboard , better cooler and DDR3 RAM to DDR4 RAM . I use(d) a top range RMI internal soundcard that i totally dig, so a relative straight forward upgrade. For a modest price i have a vastly superior system now. First test was the Embertone 1954 Walker multi mode programs where all mic positions are crammed into a multi mode program. Could not play that on my old system but now, no problem. Also VSL piano’s, no need to use a limited amount of mics. Wow…. i am simply very happy to get so much more power in such a relative cheap way.

Hopefully people start building systems with the new 12th GEN Intel processors so we can compare them to modern AMD systems.
I know people like their AMD based computers and I might end up doing the same especially if the 12700K turns out to need ridiculous/loud cooling but I just feel more comfortable with Intel stuff and the motherboards available for them.

UPDATE:
Gigabyte Z690 DDR4 BIOS are crap right now, they do not work well with the RAM sticks.
Until they fix the BIOS, better stay away from Gigabyte Z690 DDR4 models.

Last edited:
Hopefully people start building systems with the new 12th GEN Intel processors so we can compare them to modern AMD systems.
I know people like their AMD based computers and I might end up doing the same especially if the 12700K turns out to need ridiculous/loud cooling but I just feel more comfortable with Intel stuff and the motherboards available for them.
I have a 12600K and motherboard arriving today (BF deal), unfortunately my case, psu, and heatsink won't arrive until the end of the month. So I'll have to wait until the new year to compare against my 5900x.

My current CPU is from 2014 : I7 5930k, it has served me well but it seems out of date. Saying that, I was also looking to the i5 12600k which seems to have excellent price to quality ratio and I guess it will be a great upgrade coming from this 2014 CPU.
i think the intel prices are also good but there is a big question mark with the MB prices and weather the benefits will be worth the big expense also DDR5.

i have seen AMD X series and Alderlake go head to head while in gaming intel has now regain the lead but production was not to convincing so even the DDR5 had a big question mark.

one thing is seeing the benefits another is real life usage will you see your programs wiz in and out and load faster that the speed of light,.............maybe ...........but maybe not

I have a 12600K and motherboard arriving today (BF deal), unfortunately my case, psu, and heatsink won't arrive until the end of the month. So I'll have to wait until the new year to compare against my 5900x.
Have you built this new system yet?

In general I agree with this, but 2022 will be significant.

AMD will start releasing 5nm process chips with double the efficiency and more performance. Some say comparable to Apple's M1.

Apple will release their ARM based desktops. This might make some people switch from Windows to Macs.

Not sure what's going on with Intel but AFAIK they will finally start pumping out the Alder Lake CPUs.

Competition in this space has never been stronger and this is great for us consumers.

I’m definitely getting a Mac Mini, and if it’s financially feasible I might even get the next Mac Pro :ninja:

Good timing, the case and heatsink arrived this morning, so no, but I will soon :)
I wish you the very best with your new build.

My experience October, 2020 -- Trying to get the parts I really wanted for my build was like being in a weird episode of the twilight zone. I paid more for the PSU due to supply issues, and the GPU now cost twice as much. Very easy build with Fractal Design Define 7 ATX, Asus Hero, 10600K paired with the NH-U12A. This build is awesome, good core clock speed, runs great, idles at 30, peak load at 61 (Blender 4K render)! Powers along with Eevee on CPU, but I use the GPU for Cycles. I don't use this for DAW use, this desktop will be given to my wife for photo and video editing. And by May 2022, I will decide to jump on the Apple cart or yet again do another build for my main studio desktop.

I’m definitely getting a Mac Mini, and if it’s financially feasible I might even get the next Mac Pro :ninja:
I'm waiting a year or two to see what happens in the desktop space.

I'd love to get a Mac Mini Pro to replace my current iMac so that it becomes my work + DAW machine.

I'm happy with my Windows 10 Ryzen PC for DAW use, but since I also use it for gaming, now I can't just move it to the TV to play!

I'm waiting a year or two to see what happens in the desktop space.

I'd love to get a Mac Mini Pro to replace my current iMac so that it becomes my work + DAW machine.

I'm happy with my Windows 10 Ryzen PC for DAW use, but since I also use it for gaming, now I can't just move it to the TV to play!

My PC is doing well, just needs more ram, but the 6700k still holds up surprisingly well for my huge VEP template

Top Bottom