What's new

If Hans Scored Skyrim

Kyle Preston

I Think, Therefore I Ambient
I sometimes write music under the pseudonym Rubric, to get away from my sad, ambient classical self. Lately, I’ve been branching out toward new creative areas (for me at least). I tried to imagine Zimmer writing an Elder Scrolls score…

I’m hoping for some good old fashioned honest feedback, especially from you brilliant composers that write bigger sounding music like this, what can you hear in this that needs work? Is my mix too muddy (overly-reverbed)? Am I holding back too much, should it be bigger? Is my orchestration shit?

Thanks in advance for listening, it is very-much appreciated my friends :)

Abiogenesis.png

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the kind words, appreciate you guys takin the time to listen.

@Dr.Quest I think I was subconsciously going for Last Samurai Zimmer, maybe even some Dark Knight Rises as well, at least in terms of mixing and orchestration (minus the synth).

I like this a lot actually. Maybe getting a hint of Hans in the ostinato work and I can feel the Jeremy Soule a bit in the wash of ambience.

This composition is making me appreciate modulation more as you have a nice minor scale motif that repeats but modulates back and forth (I believe it's a whole step only?) between 2 different keys over most iterations to keep it interesting. That and the orchestration are pretty impressive.

Thank you kindly ibanez!

I love modulating, it's becoming something I do in every piece I write now. Listening to Howard Shore has been influential for sure, especially the way he moves between keys. I'm not sure if he's using modes or modulations, but, in a lot of his scores, you'll hear him going from a minor 6 to, I guess, a minor 1 raised up a semitone? It's like our brain expects it to be a vi → III, but instead, he gives us the relative minor of that III, and it's a cool effect, very dark!

Top Bottom