What's new

I wish there was an NI Keyboard alternative

Studio E

Eric Watkins
I don't own one, but just reading the reviews, it just seems way too sketchy to buy. I pretty much love the feel of my S90xs as my main controller, but would really LOVE those key-switch lights. I wonder if there would ever be an alternative. If there was a light strip that I could tape onto my keys, I'd do it in a heart beat and pay a decent amount for it, if it lit-up the different keyswitches properly for the 12,487 different key-switch based libraries I own. Just saying. It's gotta be a game changer, especially when learning newer libraries. I bought the Sonokinetic bundle and whew-boy, that's a LOT of different stuff going on. I do think I'm going to love these libraries, but between them, my Synchron libs, Spitfire, and everything else...... If anyone is aware of a company working on this, I'd love to hear about it.

I don't own one, but just reading the reviews, it just seems way too sketchy to buy. . .
This is the reason I have held back; having inquired of the various retailers, not a single salesperson I've spoken to has had the faintest idea about the unit(s) and no one has seemed inclined to provide any sort of support
Therefore, if I were to encounter any glitches, I'm under the impression that the keyboard would have to be boxed up for return to NI for repair/adjustment/reprogramming

That said, I am comfortable with my current midi controller, but I am in agreement with Eric that the features on the 61- and 88-key controllers would be convenient, indeed. I have the space and would have no objection to having a second controller. It is the retailers' seeming utter lack of interest that gives me pause

The keyboard is good, but it is outdated. Native Instruments, once the kings of innovation, now only cater to the lowest common denominator (bedroom producers and beat makers). It's been way too long without a new a new Komplete Kontrol model, but I'm hoping that the upcoming overhaul of Kontakt means that it may be in the pipeline. Having to use the clunky Komplete wrapper to utilize the best features of the keyboard is a pain, and I gave up a long time ago.

Basically, don't waste your money on the MK1 or MK2. I have enjoyed my time with them, but they are LONG overdue for some new tech and new innovation.

I don't own one, but just reading the reviews, it just seems way too sketchy to buy. I pretty much love the feel of my S90xs as my main controller, but would really LOVE those key-switch lights. I wonder if there would ever be an alternative. If there was a light strip that I could tape onto my keys, I'd do it in a heart beat and pay a decent amount for it, if it lit-up the different keyswitches properly for the 12,487 different key-switch based libraries I own. Just saying. It's gotta be a game changer, especially when learning newer libraries. I bought the Sonokinetic bundle and whew-boy, that's a LOT of different stuff going on. I do think I'm going to love these libraries, but between them, my Synchron libs, Spitfire, and everything else...... If anyone is aware of a company working on this, I'd love to hear about it.

Almost hit its goal, looks perfect if like me you want lights on your grand piano of choice, keyed to scales like NI S-series

but would really LOVE those key-switch lights.
My issue here is that the light guide system *only* works, when you are loading Kontakt into the Komplete Kontrol plugin - which is utter nonsense and not advertised by NI.
When I bought the S61, I was under the impression that Kontakt could natively send the light commands to the keyboard (which certainly would not be wizardry), but no - probably it would have been too easy for NI to make their flagship product compatible.
Since loading KK beforehand is not only using up additional memory and puts additonal load onto the system, it is also prone to crashing - not to speak of reloading older stuff.

So there you go: Great idea, but very bad implementation, which means I am using my keyboard 100% without light guide.

Doesn't hurt to try to get Komplete Kontrol keyboard for free!

YouTuber Sanjay C is giving away up to $20K of gear backed by major brands such as Native Instruments, Beyerdynamics Pro X line, Soundtheory Gulfoss, Roli 2, etc. The list is long.

My issue here is that the light guide system *only* works, when you are loading Kontakt into the Komplete Kontrol plugin - which is utter nonsense and not advertised by NI.
When I bought the S61, I was under the impression that Kontakt could natively send the light commands to the keyboard (which certainly would not be wizardry), but no - probably it would have been too easy for NI to make their flagship product compatible.
Since loading KK beforehand is not only using up additional memory and puts additonal load onto the system, it is also prone to crashing - not to speak of reloading older stuff.

So there you go: Great idea, but very bad implementation, which means I am using my keyboard 100% without light guide.
What i was trying to say is that the Aurora on Indiegogo is an 88 LED light strip that attaches to any kb that has usb or midi and provides scale based lighting for ANY KB in any DAW and here's the link. £150 ish.

Www.indiegogo.com/projects/aurora-match-your-mood-with-the-smartest-light

What i was trying to say is that the Aurora on Indiegogo is an 88 LED light strip that attaches to any kb that has usb or midi and provides scale based lighting for ANY KB in any DAW and here's the link. £150 ish.

Www.indiegogo.com/projects/aurora-match-your-mood-with-the-smartest-light

This is product is excellent for YouTube channel demostration, livestreaming and learning scales but there's no option for lighting up keyswitches for using sample libraries that are encoded to NKS standard. Unfortunately, The Indiegogo product can't do that.

Last edited:
I'm not an NI apologist by any means, but reading online opinions on products is kinda skewed. People post in forums when things go wrong. Posts aren't randomly made just to say how wonderful things are going. So it may seem like the KK keyboard series is sketchy. For me personally, I have had the S88MKI, an S61MKII, and a S88MKII and used them with no issues at all. I agree that NI needs to make it abundantly clear that all the chordal, arpeggiated, and light guide bells and whistles only work from within the KK software itself.

Had one since 2014 (first s25, then s61, which I sold to get a s61 mk2. They have been very reliable and inspirational to me. One of my Studio One templates contains a large number of empty komplete kontrol-tracks, as it is SO easy to browse my libraries with it.
When I use the keyboard with Maschine, it is a dream of hardware-software integration. GREAT fun!

It is a great product in itself, though it might not suit everybody's use-case - which goes for most products that are not toothbrushes.

Do you really need the lights?

For me the Lightguide is almost essential when using Kontakt Libraries. Is is very convienent to have the keyswitches color coded and laid out on the keyboard. No more hunting and pecking at the bottom of the keyboard trying to pick the correct keyswitch. And all the colors sure do impress my non-musician friends, lol.

For me the Lightguide is almost essential when using Kontakt Libraries. Is is very convienent to have the keyswitches color coded and laid out on the keyboard. No more hunting and pecking at the bottom of the keyboard trying to pick the correct keyswitch. And all the colors sure do impress my non-musician friends, lol.
...And clients, too!

Yes, Many of the libraries encoded in NKS standard are quite complex and the light-guide helps out a lot without needing to stop/start your workflow.
Sonokinetic NKS.png

Sorry for not reading while thread, but do notice (or debunk) that lights only work via Komplete. If you load only Kontakt, no controller features (like the chords one).

Sorry for not reading while thread, but do notice (or debunk) that lights only work via Komplete. If you load only Kontakt, no controller features (like the chords one).
I already mentioned that earlier in the thread, how NI needs to make it abundantly clear that all the "bells and whistles" only work in Komplete Kontrol

I don't know why NI made it KK only. In KK you don't even see the light guides in the software like you do in the Kontakt GUI, from what I can tell. Makes no sense. I want to see them in both places.

However I just got the S61 on sale and really like it. Definitely worth the couple hundred bucks, love the action.

Top Bottom