What's new

Hobbyists: what is your day (or night) job?

I'm an astrobiologist. I spend my days waiting for the phone to ring.

Nah not really. But I did know someone who's mother worked at NASA and did, in fact, have exactly that job title. So if you ever think you're having a hard time achieving anything as a musician just remember that there's an astrobiologist out there fighting waaaay longer odds than you.

rgames
I thought they found phosphine in Venus' atmosphere...maybe it was a prank call afterall ;)

Assuming I make it through the summer, this fall will mark my 29th year teaching lit*, rhetoric & composition, and creative writing at the college level. I am also super-dooper lucky to still be able to gig (played three time this last weekend--I think there will be eleven gigs in May).
Therefore, day and night job(s)

*@Bakhtin -- any relation to the famous Russian Formalist Mikhail Bakhtin, he of "binary opposition" fame?

Assuming I make it through the summer, this fall will mark my 29th year teaching lit*, rhetoric & composition, and creative writing at the college level. I am also super-dooper lucky to still be able to gig (played three time this last weekend--I think there will be eleven gigs in May).
Therefore, day and night job(s)

*@Bakhtin -- any relation to the famous Russian Formalist Mikhail Bakhtin, he of "binary opposition" fame?
no relation, but back in the day he was my favourite literary theorist :)

Electrician here. A pretty fortunate job to have during the pandemic, as we have been swamped with work due to everone being at home and getting all sorts of ideas for improvements and projects.

I walk around humming lots of melodies while working, only to have forgotten it all when I get home. :rolleyes:

traditional pencil artist focused in pet portrait, caricature artist and concept art mainly character design. Work about 10 hours a week at the local grocery store and keeping the social connections. Played piano by hear since i was a kid and art. some what well talented opera singer if i want to lol .

supporting family in need of things affiliated with queens of heart and other type of community locally who helps others in need.

Last edited:
I’m a psychotherapist (talk therapy), including music therapy. Spend as much time as I can in my production studio and with my guitars. Hopelessly addicted to music :)

Great learning about other member's backgrounds. I'm a retired accountant, remarried in 2007 at the age of 59, took early retirement, sold up and relocated to my wife's home country, the Philippines. My story was one among a number featured in the Prince Charles Generation series. Two sons later and under covid lockdown I discovered DAWs and VSTs for the first time. Very much a hobbyist with a limited budget so I buy only what I absolutely need. I'm too old now to consider a music career but I hope that eventually I can collaborate with working composers even if it's only to provide the spark of an idea for their own compositions. Just had my first covid jab so the question now is will it improve my composition skills. It was a Chinese vaccine so maybe I can excel at oriental compositions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom