What's new

Hive 2 GUI Project - Hive XT Preview Video June 2023

THE INTRANCER

Latest update 14 / 06 / 2023

This is a preview of the latest update of the reskinning / rescripting / GUI redesign project.

Hi to those who clicked on this thread, it's pretty quiet on this forum but, I thought I'd share this new project in which I've started in the past week. It's a new project, based on the reskinned version of Hive I created and gave away here.

This new Hive 2 project, is still currently in the midst of development, however significant progress has been made to give you an idea of how things have changed in the design. The top section is for the first time, now actually mirrored rather than just cloned and shifted. A new remote navigation system vie single buttons has been introduced which switches all panels. A new sequencer design has been created and a new effects panel has been integrated. This new version also integrates some basic dual-screen GUI switching for different operation modes, nothing too fancy atm. Besides the new organic look of the interface that moves away from a hexagonal feel, the GUI design is planned to include new animated features. Coming up with new ideas is fun, but it's quite a challenge to put some ideas into practice, whilst some things take you longer than you imagine. I'm a fan of HR Giger works, so the design sorta reflects that.

There is still some way to go yet in the development.

Hive%202%20Intrancer%20Design%202023_1.png

Last edited:
Update 1:

It's been 3 days since the initial project posting, however, in those three days, there's been a lot of work in both the design of the skin and implementing features. The lower FX section was expanded with the inclusion of the sound mixing matrix on the left side, as well as a complete redesign of that panel section. This works fully, although the main displays remain lit regardless of the on/off status, which is ok. The original Hive V1 worked like this. Other sections have been altered in the design and adapted to the larger screen area which has been made in the center which could cause some glitching effects. I've managed to eliminate the main glitching issues, however. The skin has had a significant update in its design and layout, whilst minor positioning of the elements has been made.

The foundations have been pretty much laid down now, but there is still plenty to do yet when it comes to additional functionality which is required and alterations in other places as well as unique design changes in other areas.

I have to that making it look like the devil wasn't intentional.

Enlarge to fullscreen

Screens look nice. Can you talk a bit about how the chosen layout/functions will improve usage of the synth (beyond aesthetics)? What particular workflow/usability issues are you targeting? I recently bought Hive2 and used the default skin for a week, then switched to the Izmo skin, which is dull looking, but much more functional. Particularly the Sequencer editor with a piano roll is a big improvement. I like the compact mod matrix in the Izmo skin too, saves having two pages. And the little bar of modulations across the bottom is really handy when trying to remember what's doing what.

I just bought Hive 2 in the sale. These look very nice and intriguing. I have the same questions as liquilino. Sequencer improvements?

Screens look nice. Can you talk a bit about how the chosen layout/functions will improve usage of the synth (beyond aesthetics)? What particular workflow/usability issues are you targeting? I recently bought Hive2 and used the default skin for a week, then switched to the Izmo skin, which is dull looking, but much more functional. Particularly the Sequencer editor with a piano roll is a big improvement. I like the compact mod matrix in the Izmo skin too, saves having two pages. And th
Thanks, the usability aspects I've targeted in particular include a change in the sequencer design in that rather than having two rows of 8 steps, you just have one straight across, which is a little nicer to use and program. It also provides options for additional controls in the extra little space provided, although I've not decided in what those controls might be, I thought of adding a few from the keyboard section.

The sequencer / arp section was more of a test to see if it would be possible to design it differently with the extra space, but I had plans to create an entirely new sequencer which will be much bigger at the bottom of the GUI in addition to the one above. This is still planned, but how it will be implemented is still unknown at this point.

The bigger effects panel section already feels nicer to use with it being much wider, and addresses the accessibility aspect of viewing the sequencer at the same time. The existing FX panel section remains in the centre, so you can effectively view two FX sections.

I find the Izmo skin way over complex for me, so I'm trying to strike the balance of simplicity and features in addition to accessibility. The design aims to compartmentalise different sections and make them simpler. This is difficult because it's a complex synth with many features. I will see if I can adopt useful aspects from the other skins provided into this project as well.

Although I've been redesigning and re-scripting synth GUI's for many years, there are aspects which are entirely new and undiscovered in the process of doing this, besides having to learn new ways of doing things.

Sounds very interesting, I'm keen to stay across it - if you need a beta tester, let me know!
Hi, thanks... it's a bit too early in development for any beta testers atm, although I do already have a few secret ones over on KVR, where I regularly post on that forum.

I have added new functionality which improves usability in a fun way and simple way... This is the direction I think Hive needs to go down because Hive itself is a complex synth with a lot going on.

Further development has been made, with integrating a new super-sized sequencer and an innovative and fun 3D automated cage system. On top of the new GUI design, this brings simplicity and a brilliant control system to Hive 2 for those using touchscreens. The design of the cage system will most likely change as the UI develops from how it is at present, so it adapts to new features which are implemented. One of my goals and challenges is to create a keyboard system, which is different from any other piano roll. To give you an idea of how imaginative, that could be, you can check out some of the instruments I've designed on my site. Some are in 2D whilst some are created entirely in 3D.

https://intrancersonic-ds.blogspot.com/p/3-d-m-o-d-i-n-s.html#3dmi

Hive 2 3D Sequencer.png

Just to re-post some update info about this project...

It's taking far longer than I expected it would take to do what I had planned from the outset. This is due to my own stubbornness to give up on implementing certain features I wanted to include but simply couldn't get working correctly in the scripting process. Other factors include bug fixing and learning new scripting routines, so for example, your code may be perfectly formed but if it's in the wrong place, it simply doesn't work properly or at all. And other occasions where you missed something in testing and need to go back to a previous script version and re-adapt it to what's new, and not forgetting the learning curve in which to learn the new eccentricities of stuff you've never scripted before to get stuff to work.

The good news, is that I have been able to do what I had planned from the beginning, and then some, whilst crafting not just a new Hive GUI, but a new Hive GUI experience, which integrates many of the features Hive has in a new, unique and exciting way. For me, this is about expanding Hive in an evolution of how I've changed Hive previously, rather than necessarily changing something because one can. If it works, it works, so leave it be. With that said though, there, has been significant progress of late in the design and development of things. Whilst the main front end of the GUI has seen many design changes there are currently, not just 2 sequencers but now an additional third being worked on and possibly a fourth, and a fifth as I've managed to expanded Hive. The arpeggiator system has been integrated. The browsers have been redesigned as well as the Midi Table / Preference whilst, a cool new visual effects system and additional GUI control system is being worked on as well and more importantly made to work. The system I'm creating is also about integrating everything together in new ways. This is also the fun, and clever part about all this, which you'll discover in a future reveal video.

The process in which to do all this, and not to mention the time to figure out all this on one's own, without help is pretty significant, but that's a challenge that is pretty rewarding when you get stuff to work. The other hard part is taking what you have in your imagination and making things work with the restraints you have in the toolbox.

It's fun, but can also be highly frustrating also.

I have an early version and like it a lot. Looking forward to see what you're cooking up next!

This is a leaked / sneak-peak image of the project. I'm not going to say a lot about it, but it will give you some clues. This isn't photoshopped to look like this, it's a screen grab from the VST as it sits in Studio One. There are secrets about this image you don't know about, as well as what else has been developed elsewhere. The project is expected to be completed by the end of April at the latest. :)

Hive TI Leak 1.png

It's been a while since I posted any updates, but I'm happy to post the first video of the project.

Last edited:
Top Bottom