What's new

Help transcribing Olafur Arnalds 0040

fedacuric

Hi,

this might be a long shot but maybe someone has a bit of extra time on their hands.

I thought I should give transcribing a try after reading a lot of recommendations for it here. I'm working on Olafur Arnalds track 0040, and am almost there, but a small section is bugging me.

I can't hear what is written in bar 45 and 46. The way I hear it is shown in the second image.

I've also included a youtube-link with the track. The part I'm interested in starts at around 03:08 (don't know how to link to a timestamp, sorry).

Thanks!

olafur.png

feda_olafur.png

The only thing I think you're missing is the pulsing quarter-note Eb that continues in the left hand in m. 46. The rest sounds right to me.

The only thing I think you're missing is the pulsing quarter-note Eb that continues in the left hand in m. 46. The rest sounds right to me.

So you also think that the original sheet music has a mistake in it, or that the original one is right and mine wrong?

Oh sorry I see what you mean now. I was skimming through your post and only looked at the second page, without knowing the first page was the original one.

Anyway, this is what I hear. A little different from both I guess.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 7
Oh sorry I see what you mean now. I was skimming through your post and only looked at the second page, without knowing the first page was the original one.

Anyway, this is what I hear. A little different from both I guess.

Not sure I hear that either but will give try some more.
Thanks a lot for your help, much appreciated!

Hi there. My guess (by ear) is mm 45 is as you've written and mm 46 is alternating thirds (Eb/C) with single notes (Bb). I think it makes more sense pianistically. Could be wrong but I think the Ab in mm 46 is possibly from the strings.

Taking into account your helpful comments and listening a few more times, I've arrived at this:
feda olafur v2.png

By the way, what is this box with time and other numbers used for?
olafur box.png

Thank you!

Looks good to me... Uncertainty like this happens a lot when transcribing. The main idea is you still figure out the harmony, and learn that he's using a downward-motion left hand arpeggio. The box probably shows some personal notes, not standard notation AFAIK

Top Bottom