What's new

Hans Zimmer's Dune soundtrack -- only using U-he Dark Zebra

Here is the link to all the presets used in this track and more.. https://sonictales.gumroad.com/l/Vnwfd
(Gumroad is the only stable place I found to publish digital assets available for free in a decent form, it requires an email for them to send a download link :sad:)

My Dark Zebra HZ version is 2.9.1. Hope it plays ok for all.

Dune-presets.png
Very nice. Much to study in there!

One question though... how did you manage to write those MSEGs?

1630953983440.png

I can't even zoom as much to see what's going on... let alone write those!

It can and will be be surpassed by Zebra 3!

Zebra 3 will be like the second coming of Christ. :grin:

In all seriousness I do have many suggestions on how to improve Zebra 2/HZ.

In terms of sounds, the Diva filters are mono. The effects could also be improved a lot, specially the reverb.

Also, not all modulation destinations are in hi resolution. Sometimes if you try to modulate some stuff you get an aliasing/zipping sound because the modulation is in low resolution.

Finally, there are a number of bugs U-He has said they won't fix. Eg: MSEGs are not super precise and lose sync over a couple of bars.
Glad I just make music and skip scientific measurements or I’d be depressed.:2thumbs:
Mathematics aside, I look forward to Zebra 3 in 2026..

Very nice. Much to study in there!

One question though... how did you manage to write those MSEGs?

1630953983440.png

I can't even zoom as much to see what's going on... let alone write those!
@Pier, I hear you. I really wish the MSEG editors were easier to use and had better tools to draw envelopes easier.. I think here, First I drew the points wide, Then, dragged and squished them all together.

Here is the link to all the presets used in this track and more.. https://sonictales.gumroad.com/l/Vnwfd
(Gumroad is the only stable place I found to publish digital assets available for free in a decent form, it requires an email for them to send a download link :sad:)

My Dark Zebra HZ version is 2.9.1. Hope it plays ok for all.

Dune-presets.png
I downloaded this. I'd like to pay you something but I don't trust Gumroad and there's no paypal option on there. Is there a way I can paypal you a fee for your efforts?

DAW - Logic Pro X
Every sound in this track was created within Dark Zebra. Used Logic EQ on some of the tracks and Izotope's Match EQ plugin on the master bus.

If there is interest in the patches used in this track, please do let me know in this thread and I will try to collect them and make available, for free of course.

Thanks for listening..

Original track:

That is an amazing reproduction, especially considering that you used a single synth! Congratulations on a job well done.

I downloaded this. I'd like to pay you something but I don't trust Gumroad and there's no paypal option on there. Is there a way I can paypal you a fee for your efforts?
@José Herring Thanks so much.. You don't have to. Just knowing that the community appreciates this experimental effort is good enough. The response has been so positive!! That said, since you asked, I will send you my paypal address privately. I am deeply thankful. :emoji_pray:

DAW - Logic Pro X
Every sound in this track was created within Dark Zebra. Used Logic EQ on some of the tracks and Izotope's Match EQ plugin on the master bus.

If there is interest in the patches used in this track, please do let me know in this thread and I will try to collect them and make available, for free of course.

Thanks for listening..

Original track:

Hello R. Naroth,

what you did here is very cool! Your using of zebra, finding/programming the sounds ist very great!

I think, if you post such a comparison here, then you are certainly ready to receive well-intentioned criticism. My criticism is about the mix.

My ears recognized that there are many subgroups at work in the original mix. All subgroups have individually set dynamic tools, and side chaining is also on board. You can hear that very well in bass management. Hans' mix is so very clear and balanced because this technology was used and because there was a first-class monitoring system when mixing. Listen to the low frequencies!

I think you used a lot of dynamic tools in your master channel? This balance, this very good balance of all frequencies in the original track can only be achieved if you mix as I have just described and if you have an optimal monitoring system and mixing-room. We can only mix what we can hear... .

I hope that you will see my criticism as an incentive, because it is really well meant.

Cheers

-Gunther

Last edited:
Hello R. Naroth,

what you did here is very cool! Your using of zebra, finding/programming the sounds ist very great!

I think, if you post such a comparison here, then you are certainly ready to receive well-intentioned criticism. My criticism is about the mix.

My ears recognized that there are many subgroups at work in the original mix. All subgroups have individually set dynamic tools, and side chaining is also on board. You can hear that very well in bass management. Hans' mix is so very clear and balanced because this technology was used and because there was a first-class monitoring system when mixing. Listen to the low frequencies!

I think you used a lot of dynamic tools in your master channel? This balance, this very good balance of all frequencies in the original track can only be achieved if you mix as I have just described and if you have an optimal monitoring system and mixing-room. We can only mix what we can hear... .

I hope that you will see my criticism as an incentive, because it is really well meant.

Cheers

-Gunther
Gunther,

Your observation is spot on and I struggle constantly to get a mix right exactly because of the reasons you mentioned.

Thanks for taking the time out and writing this, it is taken in the right spirit and I will take it to heart to improve myself. This thread has been a humbling experience and a very encouraging one.

Regards,

Last edited:
Trying to see if I can do the same for Ripples in the sand. One of the main elements is a haunting vocalization.. Here is a voice patch I made in ZebraHZ. What do you think?
View attachment DuneRipplesOfSand-Voice.mp3
The first note's resonance is incorrect, I just am not able to fix that, but the rest is passable I think. This track is very complex, but I will try to see how close ZebraHZ can get.

It's getting really close. There's a part at the beginning of each note and also after about 1 second into the note, where it gets sort of nasal like "anh" instead of "ah," or maybe like an overdriven guitar. No idea how to change that in Zebra of course! That's just my observation. The "middle" of the note is frighteningly like a real human voice!

It's getting really close. There's a part at the beginning of each note and also after about 1 second into the note, where it gets sort of nasal like "anh" instead of "ah," or maybe like an overdriven guitar. No idea how to change that in Zebra of course! That's just my observation. The "middle" of the note is frighteningly like a real human voice!
@NoamL Thanks for listening and providing the feedback. You're right about the nasal quality in some areas, I may be able to fix that by tweaking the modulation. :emoji_disappointed_relieved:. Back to tweaking. If only I could unlock the mystery of what makes it human.. :)

holy moly.. this is very good.. (jaw drops)
Also that vocal example you posted.. wow never knew you could achieve this with zebrahz.. (i have it, but hmm recreating such organic sounds (like that middle-eastern sounding string/flute-ish sound for the main melody and later dubbed with guitar), and even sample sounding like the vocal.. amazing!)

Great job!!

Last edited:
@R. Naroth how do you approach making these acoustic emulation sounds?

Do you do it by ear or do you have some methodology like using some spectral analysis?
Mostly by ear. Sometimes A/B comparisons with actual sounds help. In Zebra HZ, the combinator combined with the Shape module and the global resonator module can generate very interesting acoustic sounds.

holy moly.. this is very good.. (jaw drops)
Also that vocal example you posted.. wow never knew you could achieve this with zebrahz.. (i have it, but hmm recreating such organic sounds (like that middle-eastern sounding string/flute-ish sound for the main melody and later dubbed with guitar), and even sample sounding like the vocal.. amazing!)

Great job!!
@RogiervG thanks so much. I was surprised myself, it took almost a day to get the vocal sound right… I’ll post that patch soon. 😊

Last edited:
Extremely impressive @R. Naroth! I really appreciate the share of these sounds. I'd be well up for more of these sort of sound types from you in the future, and like others, happily pay for them.
@Peter Satera of course, my pleasure. I am really glad you found them useful. Keeps me motivated to post more. I am working on another sound set inspired by Ripples in the Sand. It is a very complex track thus the number of patches needed to get anywhere close to that amazing creation is 100+. Some of the patches have come along really nice. Wish me luck 😊. Can’t wait to post them.

Top Bottom