What's new

Hans Zimmer’s Dune

i don't see much mention about involvement of Gerrard in this. Just one person guessing based on past Gladiator work.

But... Since when does the composer get to decide what makes the cut in terms of what's accepted as score? No film score consists of music where every single cue is an ideal version of what the composer may have envisioned per scene... Sure, maybe it's not their most elegant work (by some people's standards), but that is the nature of a score, no?
I'm talking about the approach in general.

But I still want to hear more. The production level is amazingly high as usual for HZ, I just want to hear some great musical stuff done with it. Maybe there will be some great fight scene score or a good the main theme or something.

I'm talking about the approach in general.

But I still want to hear more. The production level is amazingly high as usual for HZ, I just want to hear some great musical stuff done with it. Maybe there will be some great fight scene score or a good the main theme or something.
Hear that, and definitely agree! Cheers...

Never...I got busted once for using it . I was in his room and he wandered over to the piano,played the scale then waged his finger right at me “never..ever do this !”.....

it’s good to have rules and instant dislikes . I approve

best

ed
And there isn’t a Lydian mode in these tracks because of the exotic half-steps occurring elsewhere.

Amazing!! Looking forward to this on the big screen!!

A few cues remind me of his work on Pirates Of the Caribbean. Particularly the "Mermaids" theme.

Sounds amazing. well done Hans.

im hearing a bit of Chappie soundtrack also (my guilty pleasure soundtrack lately …)

we clearly hear Hans signature, and that’s what I love !

the Dolby atmos mix (provided you have the hardware to enjoy it) sounds stellar.
Check it out on Apple Music.

Sounds like HZ alright...Meaning that I quite enjoy it. Definitely going to see the film on the big screen!

I like it a lot. Fantastic production. Anything would sound fantastic with a production like this.

Well done, Hans. This is absolutely stellar.

I really don't get what people are talking about with "cliches" here. Besides, he probably invented or perfected many of the cliches you're hearing.

Also, guys...drones and sand dunes go hand in hand. Come on now.

As is usually the case with Hans, the devil is in the details, the specific sound, the aesthetic, the drama and vibe of it all, and in the inventive ways he goes about implementing a certain idea, even if the general idea itself isn't something new. Case in point: the textures in the first three or so minutes of "Paul's Dream" are out of this world. Have we heard "textures behind a melody over a drone" before? Yeah, of course. Have we heard those textures, implemented with that much interesting detail and space in the Z axis? Nope. So much cool detail there, I'd love to see how they were made. I'm guessing a generous dose of Metasynth, but who knows.

That panning, wobbly drone at around 2:55 in "Ripples In The Sand?" Absolutely perfect, nails a really specific vibe. Feels like seeing a mirage in the sand while the sun is in your eyes and you're parched for thirst. Love it.

The subtle bitcrush-type layer on the vocals at around 4:25 in the same track. Ugh, perfect. Just hits so good. That's what Hans always does -- just absolutely nails vibes through his sound design, supported by tasteful and dramatic as hell arranging.

The way you started describing the pieces towards the end of your post reminded me of the way Patrick Bateman described Paul Allen’s business card in American Psycho, I read it in his voice lol

Whether you're into this kind of music or not doesn't matter. It's f@#ing good.

Absolutely incredible, going to be taking another 4 hour road trip with my friends to see this on the biggest IMAX in the Midwest, same as we did for TENET, this movie deserves to be seen that way, and I know the music is gonna sound huge on an 80ft screen

well. i quite enjoyed what i heard. and am a hard core Frank Herbert Dune fan. It sounds more modern than the original Toto/Brian Eno soundtrack form the 80s and seems in line with the world of Dune.. should be interesting to hear it in context.
Same here, I feel like the music brings out the harsh environment and threat of collapse. When that singer came in I got Harkonen vibes 😂

Impressive on every level, Hans part, the production, the mix...top notch.
The theme really remind me this one (the horns behind):

Yes I can hear what you mean. Morricone, another genius!
I'm very excited, and looking forward to the release of Hans Zimmer's DUNE soundtrack. Sept. 3rd.
Will you listen to the soundtrack before watching the film? I’ve always wondered if that may give me a different perspective on the music. Perhaps create different memories. Certainly it would create certain visual expectations of the film.

Yes I can hear what you mean. Morricone, another genius!

Will you listen to the soundtrack before watching the film? I’ve always wondered if that may give me a different perspective on the music. Perhaps create different memories. Certainly it would create certain visual expectations of the film.
When I'm interested in a movie I don't listen to the OST before watching the movie (here we have only two tracks and it could be seen as a preview) for those reasons:

1) The titles themself could spoil you the story, even if in this case we already know the story;

2) The music has to be listened while you are looking the movie the first time, because if you already know the music then you will not get all the package but you will see a movie with a music on it, a music you already know; this music is part of the movie and you have to get it together with the movie.

I don't know if you understand what I mean, I'm not mother language and trying to explain these concepts is very difficult.

The music could be a big part of your feelings about a movie, if you like a movie a lot is because you also love the music, listen to the music after seeing the movie will be a better experience because your memories are already imprinted with it.

Top Bottom