What's new

Find Music Work.com Any Thoughts?

Kerryman

https://findmusicwork.com/

I've been getting emails from (what appears to be) a new player in the 'Upwork' / 'Taxi' type of business - .i.e. an interlocketer that claims to connect you with people in the business, whom you may want to approach for work.

They do this by (allegedly) selling you contact information for a certain number of 'credits', which you buy in bulk for a subscription fee.

Does anyone have experience of this company (or similar ones) and if so, would you like to share your view on whether it works (for you) or not?

Kerryman, my experience with any intermediary that charges you, the product, to be connected with X players in the industry: Walk the other way.

They should either
  • get their money directly from the buyer upon signing you for a project
  • or get a % kickback on any agreement closed through their platform

I only trust models where everyone wins after a deal gets closed.

Kerryman, my experience with any intermediary that charges you, the product, to be connected with X players in the industry: Walk the other way.

They should either
  • get their money directly from the buyer upon signing you for a project
  • or get a % kickback on any agreement closed through their platform

I only trust models where everyone wins after a deal gets closed.
Thanks for your reply @gohrev I certainly take your point. As a professional photographer, I'm not unfamiliar with the concept of buying contact information, though - although I've never done it.

There are a number of businesses in the photography world that will sell you email lists for editors, art directors and gallery owners, for example. I've had cold calls from a few of them in my long career, but never taken the chance of buying any to see if it works or not.

I just took a gander, @Kerryman — they basically sell you a rolodex. My first question is: Do these people know their contact data is being sold? My second is: Do said people really want randos from the internet to contact them?

I just took a gander, @Kerryman — they basically sell you a rolodex. My first question is: Do these people know their contact data is being sold? My second is: Do said people really want randos from the internet to contact them?
Excellent points. To the first: I doubt it very much. To the second: This is more of a grey area for me. I detest cold calling (especially by phone, and emails are a close second) and I've tried to avoid it in my career. I received 2 cold calls and one email already today and ignored / blocked /junked all of them.

That said; how will anyone get to know you exist if you don't tell them? So, there's an argument for a polite email with 'here I am, here's a link to my showreel, I hope you don't mind but apologies if you do', maybe?

That said; how will anyone get to know you exist if you don't tell them? So, there's an argument for a polite email with 'here I am, here's a link to my showreel, I hope you don't mind but apologies if you do', maybe?
That is a sound argument :)

I guess it depends on the kind of work you're trying to get.

If it's film scoring, and you're trying to approach film makers, I would recommend NOT leading with your music. They get bombarded constantly with composer showreels, and don't have the time to listen to them. The approach that is usually most effective is to establish a personal connection and show an interest in their current or upcoming project. Film makers are looking for creative collaborators to help realize their vision. There are a million talented composers out there who can write excellent film scores. A composer's musical ability is not important - it's a given. Film makers are looking for someone who can share their vision and are pleasant to work with. Rapport is everything. The music comes later.

If you're trying to hook up with a library or label, then yes, leading with your music is the right approach. But know that you're competing in a very crowded arena. Your music really needs to stand out and be excellent to get noticed. Make sure you listen to what the library/label has to offer to see if your music meets the same level of quality and compliments their lineup.

And no matter how you proceed, be prepared for lots of rejection. It's the nature of the beast and you have to learn how to shrug it off or it can crush you. Rejection will happen, a lot. Even successful composers experience it.

Good luck!

I detest cold calling (especially by phone, and emails are a close second) and I've tried to avoid it in my career.
Oh boy! This is an essential component if you want to land gigs as a composer. I hate it too, but has paid off in spades over the years. IMO, never pay any company to submit music to so-called “key contacts”, and never pay money to obtain contacts; even if you get those, it doesn’t mean they accept unsolicited emails/calls. Just dig around on the net, you’ll find what you need. Even filling in a contact form on a website can lead to surprising results.

Oh boy! This is an essential component if you want to land gigs as a composer. I hate it too, but has paid off in spades over the years. IMO, never pay any company to submit music to so-called “key contacts”, and never pay money to obtain contacts; even if you get those, it doesn’t mean they accept unsolicited emails/calls. Just dig around on the net, you’ll find what you need. Even filling in a contact form on a website can lead to surprising results.
Good points, but filling in a contact form is not what I consider to be 'cold calling' and I've done that many times. In fact, I'm so old that 'calling' only refers to phone calls, in my head. It's something I've never been comfortable with and at my age, that won't change.

But, I'm interested in how you do it - and if you think a 'thick skin' is required. I've always tried to avoid a 'go away I'm busy' response, which I tend to expect from the recipient of a cold call.

and if you think a 'thick skin' is required.
This is a necessary evil, unfortunately. I'm "old" as well, so I remember the good ol' days of calling around before the internet (and still do). Sometimes on a prospective client's website, there's only a contact form with no other options. Other times, there's an actual staff list with individual emails...which is ideal. If there's a phone number, even better. Just call them up (long distance usually) and politely introduce yourself and see if you can obtain the contact info for the appropriate individual(s). Rejection is par for course, and should never be taken personally...like ever. When you email anyone, make sure you include a link to your website, or reputable platform, that has a professional showcase of your music and past works. If they like what you have to offer, you may get contacted for work; maybe not right away, but sometime in the future (I once received an email from someone that I had contacted two years prior, and got a gig!). You just never know, it's mostly luck and being in the right place at the right time. And also keep a database of every single place you've contacted and when. You can also do friendly follow-ups every few months to see if there's any opportunities. If you are persistent, you'll land some gigs if you do it right. Good luck!

This is a necessary evil, unfortunately. I'm "old" as well, so I remember the good ol' days of calling around before the internet (and still do). Sometimes on a prospective client's website, there's only a contact form with no other options. Other times, there's an actual staff list with individual emails...which is ideal. If there's a phone number, even better. Just call them up (long distance usually) and politely introduce yourself and see if you can obtain the contact info for the appropriate individual(s). Rejection is par for course, and should never be taken personally...like ever. When you email anyone, make sure you include a link to your website, or reputable platform, that has a professional showcase of your music and past works. If they like what you have to offer, you may get contacted for work; maybe not right away, but sometime in the future (I once received an email from someone that I had contacted two years prior, and got a gig!). You just never know, it's mostly luck and being in the right place at the right time. And also keep a database of every single place you've contacted and when. You can also do friendly follow-ups every few months to see if there's any opportunities. If you are persistent, you'll land some gigs if you do it right. Good luck!
That's helpful Jeremy, thank you for the information and guidance. As a photographer, I'm no stranger to sending speculative emails and they have garnered work for me in the past. But, calling...I think I'd need stronger hypertension medication. :)

Top Bottom