What's new

Film Music Notes- excellent

I'm working through Diatonic Harmony in Classical and Film Music and it seems perfectly pitched (oh bad pun - BAD) for me! The delivery is super clear and concepts that have been floating around my mind are starting to land and take hold.... I think???

A great resource and well worth a look.

Last edited:
There's a real eureka moment in Diatonic Harmony in Classical and Film Music when you hit the Writing Melodies from Progressions section! Incredible how Mark brings you through the theory so you understand what he's doing, then plays you that simple melody over chords and you actually get the technicalities of what he's doing - the melodic background, fleshing out to add the neighbour and passing notes - I'm looking forward to learning about the underlying prolongational and cadential progressions....

Another satisfied customer. It is mainly reading from slides but the explanations are excellent, and the exercises back up the content really well. Mark is also very active on the forums to help.

There's a real eureka moment in Diatonic Harmony in Classical and Film Music when you hit the Writing Melodies from Progressions section! Incredible how Mark brings you through the theory so you understand what he's doing, then plays you that simple melody over chords and you actually get the technicalities of what he's doing - the melodic background, fleshing out to add the neighbour and passing notes - I'm looking forward to learning about the underlying prolongational and cadential progressions....
Oh right - I haven't got there yet! I kinda half lost interest thinking it was just a toolbox of common voice leading patterns. I'll have to go back to it. I bought Associations of Harmony in film music this week, and it's been excellent so far - really inspired me.

Oh right - I haven't got there yet! I kinda half lost interest thinking it was just a toolbox of common voice leading patterns. I'll have to go back to it. I bought Associations of Harmony in film music this week, and it's been excellent so far - really inspired me.
Full disclosure, I barely know what half of those words mean 😂 I think I might actually be regressing in terms of music theory hahah. My current level is: piano go brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Jokes aside, Diatonic Harmony in Classical and Film Music is a great course though. Time I went back to it I think!

Prices are great, content is deep and thorough, presentation is top-notch. I don't see much discussion about Film Music Notes so I thought I'd mention them and say how much I'm impressed overall.
Shhhhh! It can be our little secret! ;) ... FMN is REALLY good. I love their courses.

I have two Film Music Notes courses:
  • Fundamentals of Reading Music
  • Diatonic Harmony in Classical and Film Music
I got quite far with the Fundamentals of Reading Music, but I think the Diatonic Harmony course was too advanced for my level at the time. Since then, I started lessons with a private tutor, but I intend to get back into the courses soon.

What I can say about the Fundamentals of Reading Music is that it is a course that can be understood by a beginner and it can help establish the basics about music notation and theory. It even goes further into both topics and the practice exercises and final tests and very thorough.

Once I get a bit further in my journey, I might get more courses from FMN. I liked the format and presentation style.

Top Bottom