What's new

Favorite Solo Flute?

- CSW Flute is fantastic, can recommend
- BW Soloists Flute is great, can also recommend
- 8Dio Claire Flute is super good, yes I can recommend this one
- SSO Total Performance Solo Flute is amazing, absolutely a recommendation from me
- If you own BBCSO, I think the Flute is better than others may say, worth checking out, recommended

Hope this helps!!

Last edited:
Leandro, your flute examples are quite amazing and really speak to the VWinds quality. So far, yours examples are the only ones that have left me thinking "that could really be a flute playing". I've not been a fan of the VWinds flute tone in other examples I've heard.

I follow your youtube Sampling Modeling opinions, so I respect your expertise in modeled instruments in general.

Have you been able to first hand compare VWinds Flute to Aaron Venture's Infinite flutes? Listening to many, many examples of both VWinds Flutes and Infinite Woodwinds, I've leant more towards the Infinite sound. I can't quite place my finger on why. Both libraries are capable of the execution, but I hesitate. In the end, I've not been blown over by the verisimilitude of VWinds flute, but in your examples I am.

Anyway, thought you of all people might be able to shed some light on this comparison.

Thanks,
M.

Hi,
A small contribution to this thread.......................

Leia's theme, added:

1. MusicalSampling Gabrielle's flute - Fat Lead patch
View attachment Princess_Leias_Theme_MusSam_FatLead.mp3

2. MusicalSampling Gabrielle's flute- Emotional patch
View attachment Princess_Leias_Theme_MusSam_Emotional.mp3

3. Infinite WW - flute1
View attachment Princess_Leias_Theme_AV_Fl1.mp3

Syrinx (fragment)

1. MusicalSampling Gabrielle's flute
View attachment Syrinx_MusSam.mp3

2. VWinds - flute1
View attachment Syrinx_VWinds.mp3

3. VSL Synchron flute 1 (lyrical patch)
View attachment Syrinx_VSL.mp3

Enjoy!

I use regular old vienna leg solo flute. And 2nd flute is Project Sam solo flute. 3rd flute is Cinesamples flute solo flute. PS flute snds amazing too. In symphobia and orchestral essentials.

Vienna is hands down the “sweetest” and best playability. Swam with breath controller with bite and head tilt will get the real performance, but takes practice.
Vienna's bass flute will have you thinking Enio Moriconi is in the room! Amazing bass flute. Best out. Cinesamples has bass flute too but for some reason not the full range.
Dont forget Cinematic studio solo woodwinds. Its more dynamic. But requires 4 hands or two hands, and cc11 pedal. I my stuff that went live in tv shows and features Vienna and PS was what made the cut. Its a personal taste. I like to here the silver metal snd that most font capture.

Since getting the Acoustic Samples' VWinds Flutes, I've never wished for another flute library. Amazing combination of playability and realism.
Can't wait for the clarinet updates!
I still have wivi band, and original SWAM stuff, brass woodwinds etc. its really sounds real with my breath controller that has bite and head tilt. I have tilt left to trill half step, and tilt right whole step. Bite to vibrato.
Its truly the bomb for realism. I have a evi, and a Akai wind instrument that is wireless uses bluetooh. I just prefer keyboard and breath controller. I reprogrammed Vienna to respond to my breath controller. It sounds so real its scary. I even use breath controller on all my library's that will allow it. Everything sounds so real. I told all my interns to buy usb breath controller before anything else if you want to work in hollywood.

Puts your demo on top of pile. Its the hidden mojo the best composers use.

Swam is great! But you dont need swam to use breath controller. Just a deep sampled instrument that allows you to assign midi CC breath and cc1 and cc11 etc.
I can polish a terd with a breath controller. Ha that realism comes with real breath.

Nyle Steiner invented that! He sold me my first EVI in the 80’s. He even sells patches on all the name brand synths that sound real. He played on everyones tv, film, game etc before swam was invented using his own breath/wind controller EVI.
Thats your realism your looking for.

Follow history. And talk to real musicians that have been playing on all these Hollywood TV show gigs and films for 20 years. They will tell you what they played and used.

Every successful composer in Hollywood has hired Nyle for many shows.

Here is the tech in 70’s that Nyle patented and invented and made.
Nyke was instrumental in what we call MIDI his invention is built in Midi Standard world wide we all use “CC Breath” Its used on gigs today.

Swam is great but still a snd NOT the device that brings it to life. Thats called a wind controller or breath controller.

Here is a dated video for you! Nyle is my dear friend.

Enjoy! Buy a wind controller! Sound real.

Last edited:
Here is a link so you can learn the history and evolution of music in film and TV and how Nyles invention started in 1960! He was one of the most employed musicians in Hollywood in 80’s and on. He is in almost every feature film. So he was sounding real with a Roland U220 and clarinet snds, flute etc before vst’s, swam inventor was even born! Moog helped him polish his mono analog synth EVI module. I still play and use mine. Its drifts so slightly so must be tuned. Its so exciting to learn the birth place of tech we think is great! Or have misconceptions of its origins.
Nyles is a true genius. If you ever had the opportunity to meet him you will leave being educated and enlightened. He made a levitation device and floated a mini world in 1986! And a huge tesla coil. So cool.

Which breath controller do you use? TEC?
TEC ! The bomb. And a German one that cost me like one million dollars! Ha just kidding but really expensive! Both do it perfect. I have a old Sony one too. But its just breath. No longer made. German one is fancy, and can tweak it more. “The Trumpet” is my old favorite patch. Along with saxes, fhorn, trombone and woodwinds. Not sure vender but goes back to 2011 i think. Wallandar instruments or WIVi was the best! I own all there instruments. I think SWAM bought them. I have a mini stage in my virtual plugin where you place instruments for orchestra. Then they play back in proper positions. You also set where the audience sits and conductor is. Amazing tech! Now its like so expensive, someone else's name on it etc. Interface looks same just more colors and shiny buttons etc someone else's name claiming like they invented. Sad thing is original inventor got so little money! And no credit.

Last edited:
Hi,
A small contribution to this thread.......................

Leia's theme, added:

1. MusicalSampling Gabrielle's flute - Fat Lead patch
View attachment Princess_Leias_Theme_MusSam_FatLead.mp3

2. MusicalSampling Gabrielle's flute- Emotional patch
View attachment Princess_Leias_Theme_MusSam_Emotional.mp3

3. Infinite WW - flute1
View attachment Princess_Leias_Theme_AV_Fl1.mp3

Syrinx (fragment)

1. MusicalSampling Gabrielle's flute
View attachment Syrinx_MusSam.mp3

2. VWinds - flute1
View attachment Syrinx_VWinds.mp3

3. VSL Synchron flute 1 (lyrical patch)
View attachment Syrinx_VSL.mp3

Enjoy!
Which breath controller do you use? TEC?
Thanks! Awesome job! That took allot of work to make that demo! I just tipped my hat to you! Thank you for that.

FYI, I listened to this while my lady was sitting next to me. She looked up and asked: “Who is this? It’s really nice”.

You have a new fan lol.
Haha, thank you but I'm only performing it, that piece was written by Claude Bolling!
My mockup is based on a performance by the composer himself on the piano, with the excellent Jean-Pierre Rampal on the flutes :)

Top Bottom