What's new

Favorite Hardware Synth of All Time

Nate Johnson

2010-2016~ was my period of discovery and obsession with synthesizers. The power of electronic sound design at your finger types is like no other. I eventually sold everything off in favor of computers and non-synth sounds and here we are at VI:C today.

I started with vintage (somehow $$), so that's where my brain is tuned. 'Favorite' is a dangerous word, but if I had one synth to assign it to, it's the original Korg MS20, with the MKI filter. The original ARP Odyssey (Moog filter) is an extremely close second.

What's yours?

Cut my synth-teeth on a white-face Odyssey in the early '70s (yes, I am a "senior synth-er"), eventually replaced it with my first programmable synth, the Yamaha CS40M. . . it has been a l-o-n-g journey, and choosing among one's children is not easy--but I'd say my *favorite* would be the Korg RADIAS (I still have it!)

1646067377013.png

I've not been in the hardware synth world for long (maybe 5 years) but I like different ones for different reasons.

In terms of basic sound, the Moog Matriarch is my favorite. It's so fat and... analog. But it's a pain to use - something is always messed up. It's packed up for repairs right now, in fact. And the firmware is a mess. I'd never use it in a live gig.

In terms of flexibility of sound, I'd say the Pro 3 is my favorite. Adding the digital voice really opens up the possibilities. The Pro 3 can sound as analog or as digital as you like, all in one compact package with great controls.

In terms of overall utility, I'd say the Prophet Rev 2. It's "OK" from a sound standpoint but everything works reliably (mostly - only one issue in a couple years of ownership), 61 keys are a good size, they keybed feels great and it's a great controller keyboard for softsynths. So I play it more often than anything else I own. Of the synths I own I'd say the Prophet Rev 2 is the easiest synth to duplicate in software. But it is the most practical for composing/producing music.

In terms of "sonic energy", the Subsequent 37 wins for me, though I've only recently acquired it so I won't say my verdict is final. It has a more flexible sound than you'd think from an analog-only synth but even the basic sound has a character that I really like and don't hear on any other synth.

A related question that might shed additional light is what synths have you gotten rid of? For me the answer is the Korg Prologue. I really liked the sound, more than the Rev 2, but the Rev 2 is just more flexible, both in terms of sound and in terms of utility as a controller keyboard. So my Prologue was sitting around unused and I finally sold it.

rgames

Considering I’ve only had hardware for a few years, I can only say my favorite is the OB-6.

Nothing I’ve used in software has been as good sounding to me on its own (Jupiters, Moogs, Oberheims, Prophets, Viruses, etc. - or even good enough to consider hardware of). I am looking forward to future Virus emulation builds, however.

I have to say a Prophet Rev2. As @rgames said, the core sound of the oscillators is "ok" at best, but the synth is so flexible that I always use it for something. This instrument goes a long way in creating the sound you want, within the sound of the oscillators and filter.

For shear joy of use and sound: Prophet 5. Never played it, but everything I hear from it I love. Maybe, someday...

Hey Doctor did you end up trying Obsession by Synapse Audio?
I don’t have it, but a pal of mine does - and yes we’ve A/B’d against Obsession and the Arturia one. Let’s just say… I failed to recognize which one is which. So I am not one of those hardliners who claims to be able to recognize “real” synths because they sound “way warmer”. I guess I am either not very pretentious OR my ears just suck ;)

Last edited:
I have had a number of hardware synths since I've started as a child, predominately various workstations. Currently, I have the following: Kurzweil PC3, Kurzweil SP4, Roland Juno DS, Roland Fantom X, and Yamaha PSR-3000. I mainly use them for live work, very seldom in the studio, except for the trusty PSR-3000 that I often use as a quick sketchpad, for jamming, and occasional moving away from my composing rig. Although it's not a "legend" by any means, I'm quite emotionally attached to this keyboard and it's been through a lot with me over the years. My second favorite would probably be Fantom X; a trusty companion on stage for many years, these days more or less successfully replaced with Juno DS.

Speaking of synths in general, I certainly must mention Roland D-50 and Korg M1. Both were heavily featured on many instrumental music albums that I love and I've also had M1 as a pupil in the 90s. Unfortunately, I've never had hardware analog synth thus far. If the price wasn't in question, I would probably have a hard time trying to decide between Prophet 5 and Juno 60. ;)

Boring as it might sound: Mini Moog for a 100%. There are a bunch of great synths, but you‚ll recognize it from the 1st second. …oh and a PPG Wave 2.2…but that=s another story ;)

Top Bottom