What's new

Experience with MITA

Mongster06

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here and first just wanted to thank everyone here who's so active. I've benefitted greatly from all of the discussions, advice, and input!

Prior to starting MITA, I had gone through various other courses (Evenant, Chris Siu, Scoreclub), with Scoreclub being the best of those. I really like Alain and how he teaches and it is probably the best course in teaching classical style composition. If anything, it is for sure the most comprehensive.

But MITA I found to be something entirely different. It changes the way you see and understand music. I'll share some points from my experience but also want to state, in full disclosure, that I only spent a few months with it and decided to now pursue private lessons. The decision in no way reflects the quality and usefulness of MITA. I just finally heeded a lot of the advice here to get someone I can engage with one-one-one that provides feedback on my work. I do plan to go back to MITA at some point. Back to MITA:

- It does NOT do away with diatonic theory. I was afraid of this before starting. In fact, it probably helps to have some grounding in it before starting MITA, though it doesn't seem like it's necessary either. By the end of the basic course (which you get even before the main composition course), I had a deeper and more profound understanding of all the modes than I had gotten in my other studies up to that point.

- Frank is an incredible video instructor. He is incredibly clear, repeats concepts multiple times, and you really don't feel like you need to rewatch the lesson afterward, though I'm sure it may be helpful to. He also has a great energy and really helps to take away a lot of the anxiety you feel early on in developing your own composition workflow.

- It provides you with a really clear workflow that can be particularly helpful if you're like me, less than 2 years into composition, and still struggling to find a proper workflow.

- It'll feel really weird to write without key signatures and only using accidentals. But you get used to it fast and it'll quickly make sense why. I still had hesitations until I saw that my now private teacher, an accomplished composer, often writes without key signatures.

- You definitely need to know how to read notation to get the most out of it. I don't argue one way or the other on this topic as I prefer notation but have friends who can't read sheet music and still write some pretty cool things (though it's not orchestral). If you don't and don't want to learn, Evenant is probably the best at working around this from the few programs I've tried.

- For me, I did not find that it in any way tainted or obstructed the "artistry" of the craft by prescribing a certain way of doing things. In fact, it was the opposite. Prior to MITA, I would sit down to listen for music in my head and found that it was hard to find "new sounds". It seemed like everything had a I-IV-V element to it, or something like it, all the time. With MITA, you explore new scales, progressions, sounds and then you can choose what you like and use it while discarding the rest. It's a great way to use your technical aptitude to lay down ideas and progressions into an idea palette, and then shift to your more emotional artistic instinct to choose and build on whichever one calls to you most.

- I'm not usually a community person but the community at MITA is really great. I had a question that I posted and Frank answered in a day. But the really great thing is to be around other composers. If you're like me and the only person you know that writes orchestral music is, well, yourself, I can't express how cool it was to get on a video call and see a bunch of people talking about composition, sharing their works, questions, and challenges. Everyone is also really nice and approachable.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone searching through here, much like I often do. I'm happy to elaborate and answer other questions.

Hey there, thanks for sharing your thoughts and for giving my course a try! It's certainly more geared towards cinematic orchestral composing inside the DAW, so I totally respect if MITA was a better fit.

If there's anything that I could do to make it better though, please don't hesitate to share! I'm always looking to give my students the best experience possible, whether through my free material or paid courses/community. :)

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here and first just wanted to thank everyone here who's so active. I've benefitted greatly from all of the discussions, advice, and input!

Prior to starting MITA, I had gone through various other courses (Evenant, Chris Siu, Scoreclub), with Scoreclub being the best of those. I really like Alain and how he teaches and it is probably the best course in teaching classical style composition. If anything, it is for sure the most comprehensive.

But MITA I found to be something entirely different. It changes the way you see and understand music. I'll share some points from my experience but also want to state, in full disclosure, that I only spent a few months with it and decided to now pursue private lessons. The decision in no way reflects the quality and usefulness of MITA. I just finally heeded a lot of the advice here to get someone I can engage with one-one-one that provides feedback on my work. I do plan to go back to MITA at some point. Back to MITA:

- It does NOT do away with diatonic theory. I was afraid of this before starting. In fact, it probably helps to have some grounding in it before starting MITA, though it doesn't seem like it's necessary either. By the end of the basic course (which you get even before the main composition course), I had a deeper and more profound understanding of all the modes than I had gotten in my other studies up to that point.

- Frank is an incredible video instructor. He is incredibly clear, repeats concepts multiple times, and you really don't feel like you need to rewatch the lesson afterward, though I'm sure it may be helpful to. He also has a great energy and really helps to take away a lot of the anxiety you feel early on in developing your own composition workflow.

- It provides you with a really clear workflow that can be particularly helpful if you're like me, less than 2 years into composition, and still struggling to find a proper workflow.

- It'll feel really weird to write without key signatures and only using accidentals. But you get used to it fast and it'll quickly make sense why. I still had hesitations until I saw that my now private teacher, an accomplished composer, often writes without key signatures.

- You definitely need to know how to read notation to get the most out of it. I don't argue one way or the other on this topic as I prefer notation but have friends who can't read sheet music and still write some pretty cool things (though it's not orchestral). If you don't and don't want to learn, Evenant is probably the best at working around this from the few programs I've tried.

- For me, I did not find that it in any way tainted or obstructed the "artistry" of the craft by prescribing a certain way of doing things. In fact, it was the opposite. Prior to MITA, I would sit down to listen for music in my head and found that it was hard to find "new sounds". It seemed like everything had a I-IV-V element to it, or something like it, all the time. With MITA, you explore new scales, progressions, sounds and then you can choose what you like and use it while discarding the rest. It's a great way to use your technical aptitude to lay down ideas and progressions into an idea palette, and then shift to your more emotional artistic instinct to choose and build on whichever one calls to you most.

- I'm not usually a community person but the community at MITA is really great. I had a question that I posted and Frank answered in a day. But the really great thing is to be around other composers. If you're like me and the only person you know that writes orchestral music is, well, yourself, I can't express how cool it was to get on a video call and see a bunch of people talking about composition, sharing their works, questions, and challenges. Everyone is also really nice and approachable.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone searching through here, much like I often do. I'm happy to elaborate and answer other questions.
Wow, many thanks for that!! It must have taken some considerable time to write this down, and I really appreciate it a lot!!

You are a great composer and I'm sure the music you write will attract a great audience and enrich many people's lives! 👍

Just continue to shape yourself into the best composer you can be! 😀

There is a video posted by mita down this sub-forum that purports to offer a course in how to compose like Prokofiev. I figure you may have watched it already. If so, can you summarize what you learned about the top few salient characteristics of Prokofiev's highly idiosyncratic style of composition?

There is a video posted by mita down this sub-forum that purports to offer a course in how to compose like Prokofiev. I figure you may have watched it already. If so, can you summarize what you learned about the top few salient characteristics of Prokofiev's highly idiosyncratic style of composition?
I haven't watched the video as I ended up leaving MITA for private lessons before it was published so apologies that I can't offer much insight into it. I did get to watch a 5-10 min preview of it during one of the weekly group meetings and was left impressed by how much easier it seemed to analyze Prokofiev through interval theory. It was just a glimpse into it though as I believe the course is hours long if I recall correctly.

I tried it for a month or so - I found it pretty confusing and got limited value from it. Maybe that’s because it’s a “new” way to think of things compared to Scoreclub, Master the Score, Berkeley Online, and most existing textbooks. Or maybe you need to invest a lot more time before you adapt your mindset (though I saw immediate benefits from Scoreclub and others). The videos are well-presented - but I didn’t find any of the musical examples particularly compelling or engaging (for me - subjective of course). YMMV.

I haven't watched the video as I ended up leaving MITA for private lessons before it was published so apologies that I can't offer much insight into it.

No problem at all. Thanks for answering though.

I was just wondering since from my viewing of the first few minutes of each chapter it appeared that style analysis wasn't performed, curiously enough, which is how do you this kind of thing, and that would not preclude the presenter using step-count interval notation according to his preference.

Anyway, good luck with the private lessons.
_____

What's the theory behind MITA? Are there published books or referenced papers one can get hold of? I have watched some of the free videos, so I understand that it's leveraging "Interval Theory." But if one were to look at this from an academic perspective, what does MITA sit?

No problem at all. Thanks for answering though.

I was just wondering since from my viewing of the first few minutes of each chapter it appeared that style analysis wasn't performed, curiously enough, which is how do you this kind of thing, and that would not preclude the presenter using step-count interval notation according to his preference.

Anyway, good luck with the private lessons.
_____
Thank you!

I'd take a look at the samples from students on their home page. They're pretty representative of what I saw during the course. My sense of what I learned while there is that it's a system that adds a lot of flexibility so you can move tonal centers and such pretty quickly which could lend itself well to scoring film, game, animation, etc., where you don't choose the narrative/story arc yourself but have to be flexible around someone else's.

What's the theory behind MITA? Are there published books or referenced papers one can get hold of? I have watched some of the free videos, so I understand that it's leveraging "Interval Theory." But if one were to look at this from an academic perspective, what does MITA sit?
We base a lot of our thinking on the harmonic series and how the intervals show up in this sequence (ordered from strong = consonant to spicy = dissonant). So, if you want to use an academic approach, it's the harmonic series and how we perceive sound.

I hope that helps already, although I do understand that this is an abstract reply as you'd get at a music university :D ...

Just curious who are you studying with privately
His name is Matthew Fuerst:

I interviewed a couple of people before settling on him. He offers a free trial lesson, which is really great as it really is an actual lesson, not just an interview, so you get a clear idea of what lessons will be like with him. It's been really great so far. I'm happy to share more details of my experience so far if you'd like.

His name is Matthew Fuerst:

I interviewed a couple of people before settling on him. He offers a free trial lesson, which is really great as it really is an actual lesson, not just an interview, so you get a clear idea of what lessons will be like with him. It's been really great so far. I'm happy to share more details of my experience so far if you'd like.
That’d be great , I DM’d ya

Top Bottom