What's new

Dorico 5.1.32 update

This includes removing the 'locked' menu items in Dorico Elements, which seemed to cause outrage.
I knew the "locked" menu items would not go over well from the moment they announced it. I don't use Elements but thought it was a very bad idea. It felt very micro-transaction-y even though it wasn't (micro-transaction meaning things like "unlock this feature for $2.50" that some applications have).

They could have done it if they had provided a way of easily hiding them.

Hi, just a question, how can I have a rest in a tuplet as in the example? A half note rest instead of two quarters notes. I tried force duration, lock duration but no luck. The example is from another software, Dorico shows always two quarter notes rests. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2024-04-27 at 11.40.03.png

Hi, just a question, how can I have a rest in a tuplet as in the example? A half note rest instead of two quarters notes. I tried force duration, lock duration but no luck. The example is from another software, Dorico shows always two quarter notes rests. Thanks.
Forcing rests involves "entering a rest", which is done with the Rests button (comma). And you need to Force Duration.

Dorico 5.1.32 update

TBH, I think two crotchets is more usual, as it shows the beats of the tuplet more clearly.

Dorico 5.1.32 update

Yeah you have to force enter the rest as a static rest, because rests by default do not exist per se and are auto filled in dynamically for any silence, so forcing duration on a rest that does not really exist does not work. You have to create a static rest the way @benwiggy showed before it lets you force duration.

And yes, it is not correct notation, it should be two quarter rests, so it is doing it correctly, but by doing that as benwiggy said it will let you do it. I don't know the context of this passage but perhaps it would make more sense to place this arpeggio entirely in the bass clef in the lower stave? If this is piano or whatever as well, you might also not need to get as fussy about holding the lower notes, as putting pedal indications would take care of that for you.

Top Bottom