What's new

Do you still believe in Us (human beings)?

'Normal' is NEVER coming back. The sooner people accept that, the sooner they might perhaps look to Jesus for their redemption instead of searching (unsuccessfully) for it in a broken sinful world.

Repent and believe before it's too late. Call upon the Lord while He can still be found. A time is coming very soon when the deception will be so great that those who don't belong to the Lord will have their hearts melt from the fear that comes upon them.

I've never had faith in people including myself. Our natural tendency is total depravity. When we get rid of the pride of ourselves, we can learn to understand that truth, and how utterly broken and helpless we really are when separated from the Lord.

Um, ok…

Lower frequencies have larger wavelengths so there are larger gaps between the nodes.
Lower levels of consciousness also give the impression that there are large gaps between us which leads to selfish behaviour.
Very high frequencies have tiny wavelengths and can give a sense of no separation between the nodes.
Higher levels of consciousness show how interconnected we are and the idea of acting selfishly no longer makes sense.

So can the seemingly relatively few people with a higher level of consciousness influence the majority enough to stop them soiling their bed.
The Earth being our collective bed which we are soiling.
So there are a relatively small number of adults that are dealing with billions of children at various levels of growth and maturity.

There is hope because adults have access to power that is not available to children.
This is true at the level of consciousness also.
To understand this fully you have to access higher levels of consciousness yourself.
Reading about it is no substitute as you have no way to discern what is true at higher levels via mere words.
But people generally aren’t aware how ignorant they are in a cosmic sense so they believe any old story that their egoic mind tells them.

The trick is to recognise ones ignorance and don’t allow dogma to tie you down.
The dogmas of science, politics, religion, society etc.
The only thing to rely on is pure awareness and that takes hard work to develop.
We are looking at decades here.
Another thing, whilst walking this decades long path is to choose guides wisely.
I recommend choosing qualities rather than primarily people or organisations.
I choose love, truth, peace, forgiveness, honesty and compassion amongst other things.
If you find other people or organisations that resonate strongly with the qualities that you chose, then that is helpful as it’s much harder by yourself.

Travel well brothers and sisters.
This is but one stage, this Earth.
As magnificent as it is, it’s not our true home.
Be attached to nothing as we are eternal beings.

Peace
SC
XX

I understand the position of most here. I, too, can get cynical from time to time. And who doesn't enjoy a bit of George Carlin or Bill Hicks every now and then to blow some steam?

But...

Supposed you had the choice to be born again, and the only parameter you could alter was "What year would you like to be born in?", everything else being random (as it normally is). The only limit is: You can't choose to be born in the future. What would you choose?

Consider that every, day, every month, every year poverty around the planet is on the downtrend, and quality of life and life expectancy are increasing. Now, granted, there are also setbacks (my country is a big fan of going the other way) but it does not offset the forward momentum of the entire population of planet Earth.

This is not to say there aren't challenges ahead, or atrocities being committed, or injustices. Those are not going away soon, they are regrettably a part of human nature. But if you look at the REALLY big picture, we humans have done remarkably well in our first 5000 years.

Five thousand years is merely a blink in the scale of the universe and humanity has more than tripled its life expectancy, explored almost every corner of the planet, and learned to manipulate the essence of matter to its benefit (and detriment, as well). We've eradicated diseases, and turned some that would have been a death sentence 200 years ago into a mere inconvenience.

Regardless of how we feel, data suggest that if you had that choice it would be in your best interest to choose to be born this year. Today, if at all possible. Your chances of being born in a home that can care for you, nurture and provide education and opportunities have never been higher.

This does not mean that the world is perfect. Child labor still exists. Worse things, too. But the trend is for those things to cease to exist over the long term.

Talking about cynicism reminds me of this great video by a psychiatrist that I saw a couple days ago. He considers cynicism a likely symptom of burnout, and he makes a compelling case for being able to burn out on pretty much anything without noticing it, including life or hobbies that you truely love. It has given me a lot of food for thought:

I watched the whole video. Funny how this video also used Epidemic Sound for its music. The description of burnout was useful but the solutions don't seem appropriate for people working on their own.

The "faith in progress and humanity" thing took a huge nosedive after the two world wars. Technology in itself could not solve the heart of the problem, so to speak.

Rorty's point - irrefutable, really, and has been made by many more - is that without an absolute point of reference beyond ourselves, we can't really call anything horrible, evil, bad, good, better, worse with any real meaning. Our moral pronouncements become not much more than saying "I like/dislike broccoli". As a result, "I hate the war", "Child labor is wrong", etc. all become meaningless statements of personal preference that don't have any moral imperative. The Athenians and Putins might disagree with you, and then who decides who is right ... apart from using force?

Another atheist philosopher, Kai Neilsen, had to admit:

"We have not been able to show that reason requires the moral point of view, or that all really rational persons, unhoodwinked by myth or ideology, need not be individual egoists or classical amoralists. Reason doesn’t decide here. The picture I have painted for you is not a pleasant one. Reflection on it depresses me . . . . Pure practical reason, even with a good knowledge of the facts, will not take you to morality."

Without a moral reference, that's the tension that our society lives with today. We feel that our personal moral stances are universal, but at the same time we are told by Dawkins et al that everything we say and do are just illusions of evolution, just our DNA talking, for its own "selfish gene" purposes, giving us the illusion of meaning. Even Dawkins rejects his own claim, ironically: he believes his love for his family is "real," not just chemistry. But he can't explain why.

TL; DR: Until we accept an absolute reference, it's just ... feelings ... nothing more than feelings.

However, the mere fact that we are moved by the Great Stories such as LOTR, and feel that love, honor, courage, etc. are "real", is perhaps a clue ...

Last edited:
I would say that we are Creators, with access to powers way beyond most people's understanding or awareness.
As Creators, we get to choose our own values.
If we choose to act selfishly en masse, then that will create one type of society.
If we choose to treat others in the same way we would like to be treated ourselves, then that will create another type of society.
That does beg the question about how well we actually treat ourselves though.
For me, it starts with knowing yourself and that's a long, deep and difficult journey from my experience.

One of the key findings for me is that I am fully responsible for my experience.
This goes against the current trend where proclaiming oneself to be a victim leads to a badge of honour being offered.

I have simplified my intentions down to a polarity of sorts.
I choose to create from a position of love and all the qualities that come with it.
I choose to let go of all the qualities that are in the way of love.
So fear, ignorance and delusions are the main drivers of unloving acts.
Address these three and a lot of things fall away, including anger and grief.

Sigh. Unfortunately, I'd given up hope on humanity many moons hence and now prefer to live as a recluse. For years, I tried to emulate Christopher McCandless (Alex Supertramp), my hero. Slowly but surely, I'm getting there.

Top Bottom