What's new

Do You Know Cubase?

Broth3rz

So I'm newer to Cubase and it seems that I find myself needing small questions answered, then I waste 30 minutes trying to find the answer while getting really angry over how easy of an answer I know it is but can't seem to find it..

So I was wondering if there is anyone who is really good with Cubase (version 11), maybe even a pro.. would you mind adding me on Steam so if I have a question I could get some help in real time?

I can't make thread after thread for these small answers I'm looking for.. nor do I want to waste 20-30 minutes trying to research it each time as that eats up many hours a week. I guess a Cubase 'mentor'? :)

If interested in helping with this please PM me and I'll reply with my Steam profile link. I don't use any other IM services.

Thanks!

I go through 10+ videos trying to find any answer to my issue at any given time. This is what I was hoping to stop since it takes a long time each time.

Side question: I'm told that ANY sustained note is never static so it should be increasing or decreasing in volume, in the image below, I start each chord at 90 on the main volume then take each chord down to 80 by the time its at the end, then jump back up to 90 for the center notes.

Would this be the best most correct way to make it most human / realistic sounding?

(broken link removed)

Last edited:
the entire manual is on the steinberg web site. just read it as you go along. you don't need to read it from start to finish. just reference sections you need to get antiquated with as you go along. its actually not that complicated a software.

also, check out greg ondo videos on youtube. i think they are called club cubase. they are weekly Q&A. he started marking the videos so you can skip straight to the parts which interests you. they are really good for learning it. good luck.

So I'm newer to Cubase and it seems that I find myself needing small questions answered, then I waste 30 minutes trying to find the answer while getting really angry over how easy of an answer I know it is but can't seem to find it..

So I was wondering if there is anyone who is really good with Cubase (version 11), maybe even a pro.. would you mind adding me on Steam so if I have a question I could get some help in real time?

I can't make thread after thread for these small answers I'm looking for.. nor do I want to waste 20-30 minutes trying to research it each time as that eats up many hours a week. I guess a Cubase 'mentor'? :)

If interested in helping with this please PM me and I'll reply with my Steam profile link. I don't use any other IM services.

Thanks!
You hardly will be able to shorten the learning curve that everybody else has gone through as well I'm afraid. I would strongly recommend to go through a good structured course which usually has to be paid for. Groove 3, MacproVideo are great or the Chris Selim course. There are plenty of others also. Jumping from one little video to the other is in my experience often more time consuming and doesn't give you the step by step learning where you build up a solid understanding. From there the discovery of all the features doesn't really stop anymore for the rest of your daw life I suppose.

Google is your best friend. The online manual is also really great. All your question will get answered in just a few minutes if you narrow your search to the precise problem.

Thanks!

Hey, we’ve all been there. And if someone gave you all the answers, you wouldn’t likely remember them all. There’s something to be said for all that hard fought procedural knowledge that gets built up in the course of just using the software while making music.
I’ve gotten my best insights at times when I set out to completely ‘break’ the app and do all kinds of crazy s*&#. If I was to offer advise, it would be to try and get your head around the design philosophy. And realize that learning itself goes against our basic nature, we want it now! This will also sound pretentious, but it’s not meant to be- teaching someone to fish will always be better then giving someone the fish.

RTM and just dive in. The water’s fine.

I go through 10+ videos trying to find any answer to my issue at any given time. This is what I was hoping to stop since it takes a long time each time.

Side question: I'm told that ANY sustained note is never static so it should be increasing or decreasing in volume, in the image below, I start each chord at 90 on the main volume then take each chord down to 80 by the time its at the end, then jump back up to 90 for the center notes.

Would this be the best most correct way to make it most human / realistic sounding?

(broken link removed)
Use modulation, not volume to change the sound. Slight upside down U curve on the notes tends to be normal on long sustains. This is standard to any DAW, not just Cubase. Spitfire has some great educational videos on programming for various instruments. They used their products, but the process is similar for all strings, brass and winds.

I've been using Cubase off and on for a few years and still haven't figured it all out. It can be very complicated and the user manual is not always very helpful. Groove3 is good, as are some YouTube videos.

RTFM! .... and Greg Ondo.

but seriously, it’s become a very deep and complicated program, and reading the manual at least once is something you owe to yourself.

Hz
There are some good german tutorials from Holger Steinbrink. I bet there's also something similar in english

(broken link removed)
I would like to add that your question doesn't seem to be specific to Cubase, and that might be the reason why you are having trouble finding answers.

That question is pertinent to any DAW, or more specifically, to Virtual Instruments in general. I think it is the type of question that is best asked in this forum, not Steinberg's.

Perusing the Cubase manual is a good way to get a general overview of what's possible, but Steinberg's manuals tend to be crap and Cubase is no exception. It's not bad as a reference to get a 1 liner description of some function if you need to look something up, but it's not very good as a tool for beginners wanting a step by step guide for common use cases. Manuals and documentation are about the last priority of software companies, and it shows. You'll have better luck with a 3rd party how-to book or videos.

Sadly, in many cases, software manuals are written by programmers, like hardware synths manuals used to be written by engineers. However technically proficient these people are, they should never write the manuals themselves imho.

Top Bottom