What's new

Cubase 13 Pro + Windows 11, let's optimize it!

Alex Cadiem

Let's talk about optimization. One thing I hate is that on the web you find totally conflicting opinions on the matter, which creates a lot of confusion and difficulty in optimizing the PC to the best.

Intel Turbo Boost? Enhanced Turbo? Intel Speed Shift? Intel Speed Step? C-State? Should they be on or off?

Power settings: Balanced or High Performance? Minimum CPU performance threshold 0% or 100%?

Priority to background services or programs? Automatic paging file or not?

These are just some of the questions, and really, on the web, there are those who say A and those who say Z (and the answers also change depending on the CPU generation).

I'm on an x299 platform with an i9 9920X (9th generation) and 128GB of RAM.

Let's discuss it! :D

Most of those optimization tutorials are based on Windows XP and Windows 7 where everything was on old HDDs and everything was much slower than now.

Intel Turbo Boost? Enhanced Turbo? Intel Speed Shift? Intel Speed Step? C-State? Should they be on or off?
I can't answer that.

Power settings - I never saw any difference on a desktop but on a laptop without High Performance I could see the difference right away.

Priority to background services - this one doesn't matter. Maybe it had an impact in the past, I don't remember (anymore) seeing any difference.

Automatic paging - this one is important if you want to have control over your system (or another) drive space. I don't remember the last time I changed it and I don't feel like it impacts DAW performance. Maybe on a system on 5400 HDD this is still important ;)

Overall, in the last few years, I didn't bother with Windows optimization and I don't feel that it's affecting performance in any way.

Let's talk about optimization. One thing I hate is that on the web you find totally conflicting opinions on the matter, which creates a lot of confusion and difficulty in optimizing the PC to the best.

Power settings: Balanced or High Performance? Minimum CPU performance threshold 0% or 100%?

Priority to background services or programs? Automatic paging file or not?

These are just some of the questions, and really, on the web, there are those who say A and those who say Z (and the answers also change depending on the CPU generation).

I'm on an x299 platform with an i9 9920X (9th generation) and 128GB of RAM.

Let's discuss it! :D
They turned that into a rocket science. I tend to not tweak anymore since most systems are powerful that I don't care about the minimal overhead.

Power settings should always be high performance for a desktop.

You can adjust paging file to your liking. Some don't even use it with large amounts of ram. You can also put the paging file on a different drive.

People always like to tweak but never check if everything thing works fine without doing that. Forums are full of the phrase "I did all of the tweaks" and never checking to see if it aint broke.

Most of those optimization tutorials are based on Windows XP and Windows 7 where everything was on old HDDs and everything was much slower than now.

I can't answer that.

Power settings - I never saw any difference on a desktop but on a laptop without High Performance I could see the difference right away.

Priority to background services - this one doesn't matter. Maybe it had an impact in the past, I don't remember (anymore) seeing any difference.

Automatic paging - this one is important if you want to have control over your system (or another) drive space. I don't remember the last time I changed it and I don't feel like it impacts DAW performance. Maybe on a system on 5400 HDD this is still important ;)

Overall, in the last few years, I didn't bother with Windows optimization and I don't feel that it's affecting performance in any way.
Got it, thanks for your feedback!
They turned that into a rocket science. I tend to not tweak anymore since most systems are powerful that I don't care about the minimal overhead.

Power settings should always be high performance for a desktop.

You can adjust paging file to your liking. Some don't even use it with large amounts of ram. You can also put the paging file on a different drive.

People always like to tweak but never check if everything thing works fine without doing that. Forums are full of the phrase "I did all of the tweaks" and never checking to see if it aint broke.
That's exactly my thought! A mass of information that different people make use of, but without actually testing whether it has actually led to improvements or not... Moreover, I believe that much also depends on the intended use. For example, a user working with demanding orchestral libraries will certainly benefit from these optimizations, whereas a "casual" user or someone using much lighter libraries will only gain unnecessary waste of energy and heat!

In my case, I have to say, today I tried running some tests and indeed I saw an improvement in real-time performance. By disabling Intel Speed Shift/Step, C-State, but keeping Turbo Boost active, I no longer experienced audio glitches during playback (session with about 50 active Orchestral Tools tracks)!

Check
Yes, this is a very popular link. It's shared on all the pages, but it's very disorganized and very complicated. It can get very confusing. It's updated, but it's very confusing to find the order in which it's updated. The suggestions and actions that need to be taken need to be more organized.

Check
There is indeed a lot of information, and some actions seem quite 'dangerous,' I mean, I really need to inform myself about what they do... It will take me some time, but I thank you for sharing! Did those changes improves a lot your performance?

There is indeed a lot of information, and some actions seem quite 'dangerous,' I mean, I really need to inform myself about what they do... It will take me some time, but I thank you for sharing! Did those changes improves a lot your performance?
The adjustments aim to provide smooth operation and the lowest possible Windows DPC latency.
They will lubricate the Operational System gears.

The adjustments aim to provide smooth operation and the lowest possible Windows DPC latency.
They will lubricate the Operational System gears.
Very interesting! I'll check it deeper as soon as possible, btw really well done for your dedication, and again thank you so much for sharing it with us :D

Top Bottom