What's new

Crosstalk Piano from Native Instruments

TomislavEP

I just learned that Native Instruments has released a new piano library called "Crosstalk Piano":

This is a hybrid type of instrument, that much reminds me of "Piano Colors". In addition to the sequencer, this one emphasizes background layers that blend well with the main sound. There are a lot of sound sources to choose from and four-layer architecture.

The piano is my main instrument and I have all the piano libraries by NI, including "Piano Colors". I'm just starting to discover this last one. As much as "Crosstalk Piano" promises instant inspiration, I'll probably wait for some future deal as a Komplete owner.

BTW, some of the backgrounds and sounds featured in an overview of this library made me think of Pianobook. ;)

Just watched the video on it and it looks interesting. NI (along with many other sample developers) have been doing a lot of layer based instruments with modulating parameters and this is a continuation of this.

Whilst a lot of what you see could be replicated in the DAW or plugins like Unify it does offer a nice easy way to experiment.

I picked this up and have been playing through and tweaking presets for roughly an hour. It has some very inspiring sounds for writing. Not in the typical piano sense. There are some tastefully creative treatments for sound design. I have a bunch of this type of piano software but Crosstalk Piano stands above what I have. I wasn't expecting to like this but I very much do. Yay!

Does anyone know the number of vel layers for the regular
The manual states that there are several velocity layers but the objective was not to have an authentic "20 layer" acoustic piano but rather a decontructed piano with resynthesis, volume modulations, gating, pumping, etc. 10 Phantom Rooms, New Loops, empty vessel are among the sound design / preset team so that should indicate the intended direction.

The manual states that there are several velocity layers but the objective was not to have an authentic "20 layer" acoustic piano but rather a decontructed piano with resynthesis, volume modulations, gating, pumping, etc. 10 Phantom Rooms, New Loops, empty vessel are among the sound design / preset team so that should indicate the intended direction.
Thanks!

I love all the pianos by Galaxy Instruments and these are most often my go-to's. One of the rare things I'm occasionally missing in these are background layers and pads that blend better with the main piano sound—something like what Fracture Sounds has done in their piano libraries. From what I've heard thus far, Crosstalk Piano is on that track, though it seems to share a lot of other traits with "Piano Colors", despite being made by a different team.

Last edited:
Top Bottom