What's new

Creating professional (almost) synths / electric piano with sound design freebies?

Ray

I'm working with Vital and I've got a decent rookie-sounding Electric Piano.
However, I want it to sound like a decent E.P library.
Is it possible or am I wasting my time? With enough patience and tweaking, is it possible to reach the quality of Electric Piano libraries by sound design (especially with sound design freebies)?

Last edited:
Honestly? No. Actual EP’s are electro-mechanical in nature and have many quirky noises that are frankly hard to impossible to recreate using a wavetable synth like Vital. Even sampled EP’s need a lot of velocity layers and round robins to come to life. If you want to synthesize these types of instruments, you’d really need to use physical modelling.

Good examples of PM / modelling based EP’s: Arturia’s electric pianos, Modartt Pianoteq, Sampleson, Applied Acoustics Systems Lounge Lizard.

Reactions: Ray
Honestly? No. Actual EP’s are electro-mechanical in nature and have many quirky noises that are frankly hard to impossible to recreate using a wavetable synth like Vital. Even sampled EP’s need a lot of velocity layers and round robins to come to life. If you want to synthesize these types of instruments, you’d really need to use physical modelling.

Good examples of PM / modelling based EP’s: Arturia’s electric pianos, Modartt Pianoteq, Sampleson, Applied Acoustics Systems Lounge Lizard.
Thanks for the honest answer. I suspected this to be the case because if it were this easy, everyone would be doing it and nobody would buy any libraries anymore.
Thanks!

Last edited:
But Vital is still a pretty powerful sounddesign tool and decent “faux” synth EP’s can be a thing of beauty in their own right! So I don’t want to discourage you in any way!

Reactions: Ray
But Vital is still a pretty powerful sounddesign tool and decent “faux” synth EP’s can be a thing of beauty in their own right! So I don’t want to discourage you in any way!
Thanks a whole lot! I appreciate the attentive input.
Indeed good synth EPs can be nice in the right context!

Top Bottom