What's new

Creating Ping Sounds

nuyo

Ping sounds are a great musical device to give a track a consistent element. They are also great to connect multiple segments in a track.

But how do I create this kind of sounds ? I don't wanna use synths. They just have a narrow and static (symthetic) sound to it. I would prefer to use organic recordings.

Do you have some suggestions or resources for me ?

I love pinging a resonant filter - I got the Serge variable Q VCF module for exactly that purpose. But any tuned resonant filter can be fun to explore...

But it depends what you mean by a ping?

a Ryoji Ikeda digital ping?

Submarine sonar ping?

Does anyone know how to recreate the ping-like main melody pings/notes from this track?

The ping-like sound I seek starts at 25 seconds in. :)

"Taming the Dinosaurs" by Steve Jablonsky

I love pinging a resonant filter - I got the Serge variable Q VCF module for exactly that purpose. But any tuned resonant filter can be fun to explore...

But it depends what you mean by a ping?

a Ryoji Ikeda digital ping?

Submarine sonar ping?

Man, I love Ikeda so much! I have been trying different techniques to make those blips for years now. He and Carsten are so great!

Ping is more like a synonym for pitched tonal sound in trailer music.
Here are some examples:
Sheesh what is it with people chasing trailer cliches?

Pings existed as a synthesis technique long before trailers became so cliched. Pinging a filter or effects chain is not a recent idea.

Man, I love Ikeda so much! I have been trying different techniques to make those blips for years now. He and Carsten are so great!
I've been to many of Ikedas exhibitions in Japan but also caught him playing live once in Tokyo and wow!! I shot a little vid on my iPhone, I'll find it but sonically & psychologically it was very interesting: his digital beats are so hard & such hard attack, but also very pointillistic. Standing in front of a PA (with ear plugs in) felt like being assaulted by very loud scattered crunchy FM and silence, all sliced within one bar of his music! The distortion in this vid is mostly overloading my phone inputs.

I've been to many of Ikedas exhibitions in Japan but also caught him playing live once in Tokyo and wow!! I shot a little vid on my iPhone, I'll find it but sonically & psychologically it was very interesting: his digital beats are so hard & such hard attack, but also very pointillistic. Standing in front of a PA (with ear plugs in) felt like being assaulted by very loud scattered crunchy FM and silence, all sliced within one bar of his music! The distortion in this vid is mostly overloading my phone inputs.

Nice, with the distortion it sounds like Emptyset. I have never had the chance to see him live, one day hopefully!

Last edited:
Unfortunately Fallout Music Group just ended a bundle sale... but could this help in some way?

I very narrowly talked myself out of buying that bundle. It was a terrific deal, but not really designed for my purposes. But the sonar was particularly tempting.

I would think any short sound and a fast moving filter would create a ping sound. To avoid repeating precisely the same sound, use different sources and filters. I'll have to experiment, as I could use a good ping or pings for something I'm working on.

I could also do with a much better composition as well, though...

I have watched that one. So good!
Not sure if it is of interest, but I came across a couple of examples of SuperCollider code that get close to some of Ikeda & Alva Notos sound/style... And having never used SC before I managed to get them working! Two scd files attached in zip

Attachments

• IkedaSC.zip
    3.1 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom