What's new

Creating a template with 20 tracks

Definitely something funky going on with your system. I was able to run much larger templates than that on my 2013 MacBook Pro with only 16 GB RAM.

What are you using for an audio interface?

Its better if you use a dedicated audio interface.
Not necessarily. The fidelity will be better & you can record, but the MBP's headphone jack isn't just fine if you want something you can throw in a bag, it's super stable, and the latency is pretty good... I've personally always used the headphone jack as my default audio device because I'm most likely to just throw it in a bag and take it to a coffee shop, or similar...

If someone can't run more than 20 instances of instruments on their MBP then they're either using too much processing, too low of a buffer combined with too much DSP, running out of memory, or are only running instruments with a heavy CPU load...

Just saying... An audio interface isn't a CPU.. You may get better latency & improved fidelity, but it won't magically give you a higher instrument count. People often assume this all of the time, only to find out that it has no impact on the number of instruments they can run... Latency may be better, but this completely depends on the interface or manufacturer

You may get better latency & improved fidelity, but it won't magically give you a higher instrument count.
It certainly did on my MacBook, especially with playback. Running libraries like HS Diamond and BS were an issue without an interface….and of course, latency. Perhaps things are different with newer setups, but on my 213 MacBook the interface was essential for handling demanding orchestra libraries.

It certainly did on my MacBook, especially with playback. Running libraries like HS Diamond and BS were an issue without an interface….and of course, latency. Perhaps things are different with newer setups, but on my 213 MacBook the interface was essential for handling demanding orchestra libraries.
Might be different on Windows? I sometimes swap from my ASIO driver (256 samples buffer, around 12 ms latency) to WaveOut (more than 100 ms latency, big buffer size) to screencap the DAW and there's no notable difference except the latency of course, however it doesn't really matter when not recording.

To OP: for what it's worth, my bottom of the barrel Acer laptop with a fairly modest Ryzen 5 3500U and 6GB usable RAM (yes, 6) could handle a full Sonuscore The Orchestra template (not TOC) just fine, using no interface. Very light on RAM and CPU in case you happen to have that one.

Just saying... An audio interface isn't a CPU.. You may get better latency & improved fidelity, but it won't magically give you a higher instrument count. People often assume this all of the time, only to find out that it has no impact on the number of instruments they can run... Latency may be better, but this completely depends on the interface or manufacturer
Yeah, of course if there's a problem with the CPU, an audio interface won't magically solve anything. But OP should use one anyways. In mi case, with a decent Windows laptop (and working in the past with a mediocre PC), not using a dedicated audio interface is a bottleneck for the amount of voices that I could handle. As well as the latency. There's definitely an issue with OP's Mac but he should get an audio interface as well.

Yeah, of course if there's a problem with the CPU, an audio interface won't magically solve anything. But OP should use one anyways. In mi case, with a decent Windows laptop (and working in the past with a mediocre PC), not using a dedicated audio interface is a bottleneck for the amount of voices that I could handle. As well as the latency. There's definitely an issue with OP's Mac but he should get an audio interface as well.
I don’t believe audio interfaces makes as much of a difference on a Mac as on a PC. I always had to use them when I was on a PC, but since switching to Macs they simply don’t seem to make a valuable enough difference, if any at all, to warrant them unless you need the inputs and outputs. For working within the box and with headphones the headphone jack works just great. :)

I don’t believe audio interfaces makes as much of a difference on a Mac as on a PC. I always had to use them when I was on a PC, but since switching to Macs they simply don’t seem to make a valuable enough difference, if any at all, to warrant them unless you need the inputs and outputs. For working within the box and with headphones the headphone jack works just great. :)
I guess that's a plus for MAC. If only they weren't so expensive and so little customizable.

On macos it doesn't, Core Audio is typically used to handle audio throughout the OS. In Windows it may very well be a different case... I frequently see people say that specific ASIO drivers make a big difference, and I'm sure that's true... That being said, that comes down to being an issue with the the efficiency of a software layer, not the hardware itself... It also speaks to the tradeoffs with one OS or another... PCs have their own advantages, but you're also have to rely on 3rd party drivers that can vary in stability, performance, etc...

Here's my list so far based on what I have. There are still some ARO modules that I want to get in the future. I'm a fan of brass layering so I don't like to cut corners with brass. 20 tracks isn't a hard limit, rather a suggestion for ideas.

ARO Wondrous Flutes
ARO Vibrant Reeds
CSW Bass Clarinet
CSW Bassoon
BB Horn 2
BB Horn 4
CB Six Horns
BB Trumpet 1
BB Trumpet 3
CB Trumpet Ensemble
JXL Trombones a3
JXL Solo Trombones
BB Trombone Ensemble
BB Bass Trombone
BB Tuba
BP Timpani
-
Optional percussion extras
-
ARO Soaring High Strings (Just got this one today and it's perfect for all of the high strings)
BSS Celli
BSS Basses

Curious as to your reason for Horns 2 and 4 here - which are both stronger in the low range. Why not 1 or 3 or even JXL solo?
They have the best staccatissimos. JXL solo horn has an awful staccatissimo surprisingly. Same reason Berlin Brass Trumpet 2 doesn’t make the cut in my projects.

It would depend on particulars, of course, but likely something like this (SSO as foundation):

1. SSW piccolo
2. SSW Solo Flute
3. Acoustic Samples Oboe
4. SSW English Horn
5. BWW Clarinet 1
6. SSW Bass Clarinet
7. Acoustic Samples Bassoon
8. SSB Solo Horn
9. JXL Horns a6
10. SSB Solo Trumpet
11. AROOF Trumpets
12. JXL Solo Trombone
13. SSB Tuba
14. HZP Timpani
15. SF Harp
16. SF Percussion Celesta
17. AR Metal Percussion
18. SCS Ensemble Strings
19. ARO First Violins
20. ARO Cellos

I might cut out the auxiliary woodwinds or some of the percussion and fill out the strings instead, especially as it has been a long time since I worked with such a limited string section.

Top Bottom