What's new

Creating a template with 20 tracks

Composer 2021

I have been recently running to issues with my computer not being able to handle large projects without getting a system overload or downright crashing. It's been harming my productivity. I'm thinking that I should create a template with around 20 tracks and try to limit myself to those. I might even buy Spitifre's Soaring High Strings and Legendary Low Strings so I can limit strings to just two tracks for a lot of use cases (also, Abbey Road!).

What would you put in a template with only 20 tracks?

I like this minimalist aproach, also i consider that those strings are awesome, (don't have them but maybe i will grab them soon)

I suffer with my cpu too with Big templates so my aproach is similar, i use no templates and the idea of having essential sections to cover upper/lower ranges is good.

If i have to do 20 tracks i would do this:

1) Ensemble High strings
2) Ensemble High Brass
3) Ensemble High Woods
4) Ensemble Low strings
5) Ensemble Low Brass
6) Ensemble Low Woods
7) Piano
8) Ensemble female choir
9) Ensemble male choir
10) Orchestral Percussion (all in one patches like cineperc or other)
11) Textures (arkhis or audio imperia textures libraries)
12) Fx (whooshes impacts etc, like rise and hit)
13) Soprano
14) Tenor
15) Solo Violín
16) Solo Cello
17) Solo French Horn
18) solo oboe
19) solo flute
20) aux track with your favourite reverb

If you have audio imperia Jaeger or nucleus you could replace the Ensemble patches with the preorchestrated patches from strings and brass

All off this is just a suggestion, I hope this help to guide you to your final light template :)

I have been recently running to issues with my computer not being able to handle large projects without getting a system overload or downright crashing. It's been harming my productivity. I'm thinking that I should create a template with around 20 tracks and try to limit myself to those. I might even buy Spitifre's Soaring High Strings and Legendary Low Strings so I can limit strings to just two tracks for a lot of use cases (also, Abbey Road!).

Might be more helpful for you personally to figure out what your bottleneck is and how you could tweak your current template to be more efficient. E.g. if you're hitting the wall on available RAM, you might be able to unload articulations and mic positions that you don't need. You could probably still grind your system into issues with 20 very heavy to process tracks while 40 light tracks might be OK. I think track count is a bad measurement here. Could be fun of course to think about what the 20 most important things would be for each of us, but I think to you personally it will be useless.

I'm not famiiar with today's Macs as far as upgradability, but before semiconductor prices shoot back up by the end of this year, is there any way you can get that Mac Mini to 64GB from 32GB? That would be the one single effort that would increase your capability in a big way.

I'm not famiiar with today's Macs as far as upgradability, but before semiconductor prices shoot back up by the end of this year, is there any way you can get that Mac Mini to 64GB from 32GB? That would be the one single effort that would increase your capability in a big way.
I have 64 GB installed but only one of the sticks is detected by the computer. I just don’t feel like taking it apart again.

This question is hard for me because I love orchestration, so I use exclusively individual instruments from start to finish. However, I have recently come face-to-face with the convenience of ensemble and preorchestrated patches. Honestly, I think for this I would go ARO modules all the way:

1. ARO Wonderous Flutes
2. ARO Sparkling Woodwinds
3. ARO Vibrant Reeds
4. ARO Mysterious Reeds
5. AROOF Low Woods
6. ARO Thematic Trumpets
7. ARO Thematic Horns
8. AROOF Low Brass
9. AROOF Timpani
10. AROOF Drum Ensemble
11. ARROOF Metals Ensemble
12. AROOF Glockenspiel
13. ARO Soaring High Strings
14. AROOF High Strings
15. ARO Legendary Low Strings
16. AROOF Low Strings
17. JXL Solo Trumpet
18. JXL Solo Horn
19. SA Solo Violin
20. SA Solo Cello

Looking at this list, it feels exciting and fresh. I now actually want to use a template like this because it seems freeing and simple. Everything would just work and it feels much more inspiring than a full orchestral template - I might try working with this for while.

It is not clear whether your system used to handle the load and now is not or whether you are now using more tracks and that is pushing the system too far. If the first case a smaller template may not help. I would find out what the issue is here before doing anything else.

Having RAM installed that is not detected is a potential source of other problems. You should resolve this or at least just remove the non-functional module.

You can also reduce overhead by bouncing VI tracks to audio.

I have 64 GB installed but only one of the sticks is detected by the computer. I just don’t feel like taking it apart again.
I don't wanna insist on this, but did you pay attention to the banks order when adding an extra RAM? If you have four slots, it's the closest to the CPU the 1st and the second doesn't go next to it, you need to skip a slot.

Ah. There’s no guarantee that everything is running OK on 32. if I may be so bold I’m not trying to give you a hard time but building a smaller template to fit a computer that’s got hardware issues isn’t really the best Band-Aid in the box. To your credit, I once ripped apart an 11 inch MacBook to replace the keyboard, which means rolling the original aluminum keyboard and having the rivets pop like crazy. I got it done and the provided tiny screws in the kit did fit the rivet holes, but I’ll never go through that again. 😂

It is not clear whether your system used to handle the load and now is not or whether you are now using more tracks and that is pushing the system too far. If the first case a smaller template may not help. I would find out what the issue is here before doing anything else.
This.

Addditionally, although it's a big subject in its own right, if you switched to a disabled template your resources will go massively further.

I'd make a full template and save it as channel presets or track stacks or groups (DAW depending) or just import tracks from a template song into the current project.

That way it's easy to start with i.e. strings/woodwinds (maybe 10 tracks) and add whatever is missing. No need to have pianos or synths or woodwinds in your template if you don't need them. I'd always try to serve the music of the project instead of trying to use an incomplete 'one size fits all' template.

It's also a question of selecting CPU and RAM lighter libraries. 20 tracks don't have a fixed CPU and RAM equivalent. Performance legato tracks are probably not a very good selection. Same with a lot of mic positions.
And it's questionable to buy the most expensive libraries which easily exceed the price of a better computer. I'd try to find a good balance.

I don't wanna insist on this, but did you pay attention to the banks order when adding an extra RAM? If you have four slots, it's the closest to the CPU the 1st and the second doesn't go next to it, you need to skip a slot.
I don’t remember. I was following along with a YouTube video.

Any modern computer (even a Mac yes...) should be able to run waaaay more then twenty tracks.
I would suggest to first look into that tech aspect first

Minimalism can be great but as a choice not a not necessary necessity

If that is a 2018/2020 Intel model, you are running your Mac mini in single-channel mode, as it only has two slots. Single channel is going to decrease the performance you should be getting. Also, if only one is being detected, you may not have seated the other module correctly, in which case I would not advise running the machine with improperly seated RAM at all.

Here is a template that is more like around 25 tracks:
If that is a 2018/2020 Intel model, you are running your Mac mini in single-channel mode, as it only has two slots. Single channel is going to decrease the performance you should be getting. Also, if only one is being detected, you may not have seated the other module correctly, in which case I would not advise running the machine with improperly seated RAM at all.
It's been running okay for over two years...

When I am on the road and have only access to a weak laptop, I would compose with romplers patches (nexus 4 or halion) and a very limited number of tracks.
Funny enough I was surprised on how fast I was at composing compared to doing it in the full template

This question is hard for me because I love orchestration, so I use exclusively individual instruments from start to finish. However, I have recently come face-to-face with the convenience of ensemble and preorchestrated patches. Honestly, I think for this I would go ARO modules all the way:

1. ARO Wonderous Flutes
2. ARO Sparkling Woodwinds
3. ARO Vibrant Reeds
4. ARO Mysterious Reeds
5. AROOF Low Woods
6. ARO Thematic Trumpets
7. ARO Thematic Horns
8. AROOF Low Brass
9. AROOF Timpani
10. AROOF Drum Ensemble
11. ARROOF Metals Ensemble
12. AROOF Glockenspiel
13. ARO Soaring High Strings
14. AROOF High Strings
15. ARO Legendary Low Strings
16. AROOF Low Strings
17. JXL Solo Trumpet
18. JXL Solo Horn
19. SA Solo Violin
20. SA Solo Cello

Looking at this list, it feels exciting and fresh. I now actually want to use a template like this because it seems freeing and simple. Everything would just work and it feels much more inspiring than a full orchestral template - I might try working with this for while.
I’m thinking about going with ARO add-on libraries for my stings and woodwinds. It would cost $200 minimum to get the ones I would need. Lol

Top Bottom