What's new

Composer Cloud Hollywood Brass or Century Brass- same price, which to get?

pinki

I need to get a workhorse brass library rather urgently having divested myself of VSL Brass recently and could do with some advice. I have a Musio subscription and therefore Cinebrass but the single mic is not ideal. Century Brass is on sale at $148 and Composer Cloud is also on sale at $148 for a year and that gets me Hollywood Brass and obviously a whole bunch of other stuff as well.

I have no preference about subsciptions or "owning" outright, not an issue for me.

What ever I get needs to work with Afflatus Strings as that's in my template. Unfortunately Afflatus Brass is not an option at its current price.

Thoughts?

Thanks

I need to get a workhorse brass library rather urgently having divested myself of VSL Brass recently and could do with some advice. I have a Musio subscription and therefore Cinebrass but the single mic is not ideal. Century Brass is on sale at $148 and Composer Cloud is also on sale at $148 for a year and that gets me Hollywood Brass and obviously a whole bunch of other stuff as well.

I have no preference about subsciptions or "owning" outright, not an issue for me.

What ever I get needs to work with Afflatus Strings as that's in my template. Unfortunately Afflatus Brass is not an option at its current price.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Cinematic Studio Brass not an option either? Leave room mics up only and it blends nicely with everything, including Afflatus strings which I too supplement with CSS. It’s my go-to workhorse.

Cinematic Studio Brass not an option either? Leave room mics up only and it blends nicely with everything, including Afflatus strings which I too supplement with CSS. It’s my go-to workhorse.
Hadn't considerd it to be honest, but should. Was never mad about CSS though.

Hadn't considerd it to be honest, but should. Was never mad about CSS though.
I use CSB as main, with Cinebrass and Hollywood brass as supplements depending on tone/ articulations needed. Then Berlin brass and the Ark series for coloring in textures. Seems to cover virtually any sound or articulation ever needed.

Care to expand? Seems to be liked
Century Brass is a muddy, poorly edited, inconsistent, poorly performed piece of dog shit masquerading as a brass library.

The trumpets are fine (almost every sampled trumpet is fine), the horns are OK but nothing special, and the low brass is absolute garbage unless you enjoy powerful instruments like a cimbasso sounding like a weak, wet fart in a concert hall.

Some articulations like marcato will trigger a release when you let off the key early, others will play out the full sample like a one-shot.

Basically, there's a reason it's typically on sale for around $99-$120 - it's shit.

I use both, Century Brass Horn a6 has that special room captured and I can’t find in others. Same for trumpet ensemble. Hollywood Brass has a different sound, depending on what you want to write. I agree Century brass can be inconsistent, I mainly use the horn a6 and trumpet patches only. You might want to consider supplementing it with JXL brass ala carte or Hollywood brass for anything you lack, a more affordable option.

Nah. It's fine. :laugh:

It's really bad though.
Some of the 8Dio instruments are really good though. I know there was some kind of 8Dio controversy on the VI Control forum but that was ages ago now. However, I think the OP should go for the Composer Cloud Plus subscription. You get so much for a fairly low price. The Hollywood libraries now sound even better after the OPUS version was released and the new Fantasy libraries mix very well.

Some of the 8Dio instruments are really good though. I know there was some kind of 8Dio controversy on the VI Control forum but that was ages ago now. However, I think the OP should go for the Composer Cloud Plus subscription. You get so much for a fairly low price. The Hollywood libraries now sound even better after the OPUS version was released and the new Fantasy libraries mix very well.
Yes I'm thinking this- the brass sound great and there is so much besides. And JRR Shop do it for $132 with the code FORUM which is a year to really explore EWQLHO which I am not famiiar with at all. I own EWQLSO but HO is in a different league from my research at least. And cash is tight right now so I think I'll go CC+

Thanks everyone for your help.

Tbh Century is not my main brass but man I use it a lot in conjunction. Actually a lot of my trailer tracks feature mainly Century because I love the trombones and 6 Horns. I quite like the solo instruments too.. And for that much you get a lot of mutes as well. I would definitely say Century is a really really good secret sauce library for production music or epic scores. If you're writing more classical type of music, both Century and Hollywood aren't the best. I really love Century Brass and I have a lot of other Brass including CSB, CineBrass, Afflatus and HOOPUS Brass. Trust me, grab Century Brass if you can get it on a good sale. It's worth having if you write a lot of epic stuff. Something about the hall also makes it sound so plush and royal. The mixes they provide are not bad but not great too. I actually quite like Mix B which is more wider and spacier perfect for epic music, else I use just the Decca mics and eq within the DAW.

It's not a single controversy that ended ages ago. It's a consistent pattern of behavior from the company and their lawyers spanning like an entire decade, and the most recent updates were only a year ago. I don't intend to derail the thread so I'm just going to link to the bigger conversation below. It's terrible behavior and to say that there was a single brief controversy which is all better now feels like downplaying the issue. I think it's worth informing potential buyers.

As to the original question, don't overthink it! Most modern libraries are cinematic-oriented ensembles recorded in a hall with multiple microphones. They often play well together. Since you already have interest in Cinebrass and Hollywood Brass, why not test out just one month of Composer Cloud and then determine if you prefer the *performance* of one over the other? If you like the performance of Cinebrass, then pick it up and use the mics to shape the sound, and if you like Hollywood Brass then CC is a good option!

It's not a single controversy that ended ages ago. It's a consistent pattern of behavior from the company and their lawyers spanning like an entire decade, and the most recent updates were only a year ago. I don't intend to derail the thread so I'm just going to link to the bigger conversation below. It's terrible behavior and to say that there was a single brief controversy which is all better now feels like downplaying the issue. I think it's worth informing potential buyers.

As to the original question, don't overthink it! Most modern libraries are cinematic-oriented ensembles recorded in a hall with multiple microphones. They often play well together. Since you already have interest in Cinebrass and Hollywood Brass, why not test out just one month of Composer Cloud and then determine if you prefer the *performance* of one over the other? If you like the performance of Cinebrass, then pick it up and use the mics to shape the sound, and if you like Hollywood Brass then CC is a good option!
Maybe you are correct. I never really understood the controversy anyway. I was surprised when Trash Panda called Century Brass "dog shit". Perhaps that description might be controversy related.

+1 to Hollywood Brass. Still my go-to since its release. Got Century Brass as a "gift" when I bought something in one of their infamous flash sales....only to delete not long after.

Maybe you are correct. I never really understood the controversy anyway. I was surprised when Trash Panda called Century Brass "dog shit". Perhaps that description might be controversy related.
Oh no. I hated CB long before 8dio’s dirty laundry was aired. I would have called it Narcissistic Dog Shit if it was related to that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom