What's new

Cinematic Studio Strings 1.7 - audio examples and general discussion

Would love to see the reverb processing you used there. Great job!
Thank you Igor! The reverb setup is really pretty bare bones - one instance of Cinematic Rooms and one instance of Valhalla Room for pretty much the entire mix. Other than that, it's mostly just dialing in mic mixes to taste and panning close mics where necessary. I'd need to double check the project but I think I also have one instance each of Valhalla Vintage Verb (for the choirs) and Blackhole (for color verb on a few exposed phrases).

Thank you Igor! The reverb setup is really pretty bare bones - one instance of Cinematic Rooms and one instance of Valhalla Room for pretty much the entire mix. Other than that, it's mostly just dialing in mic mixes to taste and panning close mics where necessary. I'd need to double check the project but I think I also have one instance each of Valhalla Vintage Verb (for the choirs) and Blackhole (for color verb on a few exposed phrases).
Hey, Ian! Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Did you use one for placing instruments in a room and the other for tail?

I'm always in love, not only with your compositions but with the sound signature you get. Really rings with me.

Hey, could anyone help me test this:

Set dynamics control to CC2 on vi, vii and va and play a three note chord with notes assigned accordingly, that goes from 0-127. Use non-vib.

In my setup v2 kicks in at a higher volume from around 0-5 and then is balanced out when reaching 100.

Can anyone recreate this difference in their setup? I'm trying to use 1.7 with Divisimate, and when doing three-note chords like this, the volume-difference is very noticeable in the most quiet dynamic layer.

I've found that the Violin 2 has a stronger accent when it kicks in, but I can't produce the volume jump in your example.

Here are my render files. Same note and CC1 data from 0-127.

CSS 1.7 Violin 1:

View attachment CSS 1.7 Violin 1.mp3

CSS 1.7 Violin 2:

View attachment CSS 1.7 Violin 2.mp3

also is the solo guitar real or a library? if so which one? and the flute as well?

Alright, I have to admit, that I'm a VISTA fanboy, but I wanted to give the new CSS 1.7 a new try on one of my tracks that I'm working on... so here it is. Did a bunch of EQing on the 1.7 to get it closer to the sound of Vista and used the close Mics and the Room (not Main). I do love the expanded functionality with CSS's Marcatos etc compared to just the Vista Legatos...

Would love to know which you like better?

Vista:

View attachment Intro_VISTA.mp3

CSS:

View attachment Intro_CSS.mp3

A direct comparison between the original CSS out of the box, vs v1.7 out of the box. No tweaking applied, it's both the exact same midi data:

CSS original

View attachment Emotional Strings CSS original.mp3

CSS v1.7

View attachment Emotional Strings CSS v1.7.mp3
Thank you for the comparison! Never got warm to the original sound. Wow! I would always prefer the new mix. I guess it's now going to be on my wishlist... finally. :D

This shows how important it is to combine the right microphones. Not to say the other mix was wrong, but not to my taste. And to all who think that the original version is more lush or more emotional – it isn't. It's also always difficult to have an unbiased ear if you are acquainted to something. As far as I understand it's just the new mix, isn't it? Just find the right microphones. Maybe Alex could implement several mixes.

Alright, I have to admit, that I'm a VISTA fanboy, but I wanted to give the new CSS 1.7 a new try on one of my tracks that I'm working on... so here it is. Did a bunch of EQing on the 1.7 to get it closer to the sound of Vista and used the close Mics and the Room (not Main). I do love the expanded functionality with CSS's Marcatos etc compared to just the Vista Legatos...

Vista:

CSS:

Vista by far. It sounds natural; the CSS version sounds weird/processed.

I realize why you’re making it this way, but it would be interesting to hear how CSS handles the example on CSS’ terms, i.e. by taking CSS 1.7 as is and then make the example sound as good as possible with that :)

Vista:

CSS:

I liked Vista better, but maybe it's just because it's designed to do those kind of passages effortlessly unlike CSS which would require more massaging

also is the solo guitar real or a library? if so which one? and the flute as well?
Solo guitar is real. The solo flute is (mostly) Cinematic Studio Winds. The more ethnic-sounding one is the trusty old Embertone Jubal Flute.

Hey, Ian! Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Did you use one for placing instruments in a room and the other for tail?

I'm always in love, not only with your compositions but with the sound signature you get. Really rings with me.
Ah, thanks, I really appreciate that! Yeah, I'm afraid the reverb thing is very unscientific. I used to try to dial in fancy spatial stuff, separate tails and reflections, etc, but I was never quite satisfied with the results. This setup is just two different-sounding hall verbs, applied at varying levels to the same material - the whole Jake Jackson "it doesn't sound quite right until there are two different reverbs on it" philosophy.

Vista:

CSS:

CSS 1.7 :thumbsup:

Vista:

CSS:

Definetely CSS for its clarity and much more detailed and silky sound where you can hear every instrument and their beautiful written lines. Vista sounds much to muddy and like a big mush to me.

Definetely CSS for its clarity and much more detailed and silky sound where you can hear every instrument and their beautiful written lines. Vista sounds much to muddy and like a big mush to me.
Exactly what I heard. Plus, there is more expressive transitions, and attacks of the notes in CSS 1.7 compared to Vista.

Vista:

CSS:

I prefer the sound of the CSS violins here, but I might give Vista the edge with the low strings. I could just be reacting to the sound of the CSS spiccato overlay popping out of the texture on those lines...?

Vista:

CSS:

CSS for me (in these examples)

especially the violins

Top Bottom