What's new

Choosing an Orchestral Library in 2024

Actually, my school offered us the 'Berlin Orchestra Created with Berklee' library by Orchestral Tools for $100. But the reviews I've seen on YouTube and various websites don't seem very good. A lot of people mention that the microphones are pretty basic, which makes me think it might not be a good choice

Actually, my school offered us the 'Berlin Orchestra Created with Berklee' library by Orchestral Tools for $100. But the reviews I've seen on YouTube and various websites don't seem very good. A lot of people mention that the microphones are pretty basic, which makes me think it might not be a good choice
For $100 it’s a nice library! It’s basically derived from OT’s Berlin Series. The latter is currently on sale at NI for an attractive price and the Sine version comes free with that if you request it and the Berklee library also comes free with that. Of course even on sale it’s not cheap. But you can put the Berklee on a more modest machine and it will work well.

Also when you are starting out all the microphone options are not your friend.

The closest library to a real symphonic orchestra is VSL. The next best is Spitfire or Orchestral Tools. Then you get cinesamples and the others.

VSL has the best playback engine and for the most part the samples are the most natraul and reaslistic. If you really can afford it , it's a no brainer

best

ed

For me, I’m willing to spend a lot of money on a good library, but if it’s not good enough, I don’t want to spend a penny.
If that's the case then you would probably be better of going for the full featured versions of the libraries as the Berlin Orchestra Created with Berklee is a cut down version of their main libraries.

For me, I’m willing to spend a lot of money on a good library, but if it’s not good enough, I don’t want to spend a penny.
Expectations are important, and ALL of the libraries mentioned here are "good enough". Have you worked with any libraries at this point (such as the Kontakt factory library, free libraries from Project SAM, even Sine factory freebies)? Reading between the lines, you may be setting yourself up for huge disappointment. There was a user here recently that had a very public tantrum on the forum when he found a few noises in Orchestral Tools samples after a $1000 outlay, claiming it made the entire library unusable. This is not a reasonable, adult opinion. There are folks that want shiny, perfect tools that could care less about making music, instead admiring the tools. The Berlin Berklee edition, which I own as a Berlin Orchestra complete owner is a stupid good deal at $100, but it won't be perfect for you. Nothing will.

For $100 it’s a nice library! It’s basically derived from OT’s Berlin Series. The latter is currently on sale at NI for an attractive price and the Sine version comes free with that if you request it and the Berklee library also comes free with that. Of course even on sale it’s not cheap. But you can put the Berklee on a more modest machine and it will work well.

Also when you are starting out all the microphone options are not your friend.

Expectations are important, and ALL of the libraries mentioned here are "good enough". Have you worked with any libraries at this point (such as the Kontakt factory library, free libraries from Project SAM, even Sine factory freebies)? Reading between the lines, you may be setting yourself up for huge disappointment. There was a user here recently that had a very public tantrum on the forum when he found a few noises in Orchestral Tools samples after a $1000 outlay, claiming it made the entire library unusable. This is not a reasonable, adult opinion. There are folks that want shiny, perfect tools that could care less about making music, instead admiring the tools. The Berlin Berklee edition, which I own as a Berlin Orchestra complete owner is a stupid good deal at $100, but it won't be perfect for you. Nothing will.
Thanks for your suggestion!:D

Wow, $100 is insanely good value. It usually costs $509 (+ VAT) if you have the educational discount. You can also upgrade to the full versions later.

Wow, $100 is insanely good value. It usually costs $509 (+ VAT) if you have the educational discount. You can also upgrade to the full versions later.
It does seem affordable, but the reviews seem pretty average, don’t they?

It does seem affordable, but the reviews seem pretty average, don’t they?
Compared to what?

I mean if you want to spend money, buy the full Berlin set, or SSO, or BBCSO, or one of the VSL sets. You'll still find many things to complain about, and you'll still need to buy lots more libraries before you feel close to "set."

But really the Berklee Berlin is more than a decent starter library, and many of the reviews of it are comparing it to the full Berlin libraries and other things that are available at the price point it was originally offered at. I'm not sure there is anything that really compares at $100, and I think folks who don't already own it (or the Mains) would be tripping over themselves to buy it at this price.

In school i used CSS, Cinesamples, Damage, True Strike. Teacher liked the sound. I hope to complete my Cinematic Studio series right now for work stuff but I'm using Serum so much it's not urgent, you might prefer to for some consistency. Hope that helps!

Compared to what?

I mean if you want to spend money, buy the full Berlin set, or SSO, or BBCSO, or one of the VSL sets. You'll still find many things to complain about, and you'll still need to buy lots more libraries before you feel close to "set."

But really the Berklee Berlin is more than a decent starter library, and many of the reviews of it are comparing it to the full Berlin libraries and other things that are available at the price point it was originally offered at. I'm not sure there is anything that really compares at $100, and I think folks who don't already own it (or the Mains) would be tripping over themselves to buy it at this price.
Would you say the $100 Berlin Berklee is a good choice? It seems like it lacks some advanced features, but it sounds decent enough, right?

Also, any of the main series of libraries are good libraries, the Berlin Orchestra Created with Berklee also seems like a good library and especially at that kind of price! It is just a much more cut down version of the main Berlin series. All libraries have strengths and weaknesses. SSO is wet, what if you want a dry sound? BBCSO Pro brass lacks the highest dynamics, Cinematic studio series while being most consistent, with the best legatos arguably doesn't have the best room sound compared to other libraries.

Would you say the $100 Berlin Berklee is a good choice? It seems like it lacks some advanced features, but it sounds decent enough, right?
I haven't got it but it looks like an excellent choice at that kind of price. Remember you can always upgrade to the full Berlins series if you want all the features and articulations of the full range and you can always supplement with additional libraries further down the line if you feel you need to but that will be the same with whatever full orchestra you get. Also, before buying anything you can also try out VSL Synchron Prime edition for free.

Top Bottom