What's new

Choosing an Orchestral Library in 2024

Like everyone has said, all libraries come with issues/praises that is why it is difficult to recommend one to rule them all.

If I were to only buy 1 it would be SSO 2024 because of the sound and articulations

If I were to only buy 1 it would be SSO 2024 because of the sound and articulations
Also an excellent price! It seems like the only thing currently comparable in terms of price and depth of articulations is Hollywood Orchestra, even cheaper on sale.

I still think it peculiar how SF managed to undercut its own Studio Orchestra and BBCSO lines with this new pricing on SSO. And I can’t see the pricing on those latter libraries remaining where they currently are.

Another vote for SSO 2024. Wonderful for the price. The entire Air line (inc. Originals) acts as an expansion. Speaking of which, I must pick up that choir...

I still think it peculiar how SF managed to undercut its own Studio Orchestra and BBCSO lines with this new pricing on SSO. And I can’t see the pricing on those latter libraries remaining where they currently are.
Very much this. It's like a wrecking ball through the pricing structure. I sometimes wonder if there's an element of Hail Mary to it.

Hello everyone, I am a student specializing in film scoring and I’m looking for advice on selecting a comprehensive orchestral library without considering budget constraints. I’m aiming to acquire the best available library for each section of the orchestra. Could you please recommend libraries for the following categories?

1. Strings:
• Symphonic Strings
• Chamber Strings
• Solo Strings
2. Woodwinds:
3. Brass:
4. Additional libraries specifically for composing for a Jazz Big Band
5. Percussion

I am not looking for general suggestions like SSO or NI Komplete bundles. Instead, I prefer recommendations for the best and most suitable library for each individual section. Thank you!
Sonokinetic Orchestral Strings work well in almost all settings. The GUI's a bit unusual but not unintuitive. And there's so much functionality that is definitely "state-of-the-art" like the articulation morphing, the x-y mixer view, and the auto or manual divisi for all sections. I took a chance on these strings back in 2022 and they are quite beautiful. Definitely worth checking out in my not-so-humble opinion.

I've gone through several different libraries, until I finally stopped on VSL and couldn't have been happier. Layering and mixing with other libraries happens, but that's the core.

I would start with one of the entry-level libraries, and then recover the cost by upgrading. Synchron Prime if you want multi-microphone recording in a recording stage. Synchronized SE Vol.1/+ and 2/+ if you prefer dry recordings with convolution reverb.

Being film scoring, maybe the Synchron series is the one to go.

Paolo

I'd personally go with BBCSO Pro or the new SSO. Use that and then later down the line you can add to it if you feel you need too. I'd maybe lean more towards BBCSO Pro as a base library just because it is more flexible in regards to the mixes you can do with it. For chamber strings i'd not hesitate to recommend SCS pro. It's probably one of my favourite string libraries, great chamber string library which mixes well with other libraries and it Is great for using for any divisi lines + additional layering.

I'd personally go with BBCSO Pro or the new SSO. Use that and then later down the line you can add to it if you feel you need too. I'd maybe lean more towards BBCSO Pro as a base library just because it is more flexible in regards to the mixes you can do with it. For chamber strings i'd not hesitate to recommend SCS pro. It's probably one of my favourite string libraries, great chamber string library which mixes well with other libraries and it Is great for using for any divisi lines + additional layering.
I can't disagree with any of this advice, except to say that I've never had particular difficulty mixing SSO instruments with other libraries (especially OT libraries recorded in Teldex) with the proviso that you have to mix to SSO. You are never going to make that library dry. And the same can be said of SCS. The sound of Air is of course one of the main draws of these libraries.

On the chamber side, I also adore OT's PVS, which as it turns out is also a fine complement to SCS, where the sweet spots of the two libraries don't much overlap, meaning they each shine where the other struggles. PVS also works as well as with SF Air libraries as the OT Teldex libraries.

(I'd add that I'm not fond of SSS, and tend to replace it with BSS or HZS when the music needs a big band of strings.)

I went with SSO (+SCS) a few years ago. If I had to make the decision today, I would prioritize consistency and go with the OT Berlin series.

I went with SSO (+SCS) a few years ago. If I had to make the decision today, I would prioritize consistency and go with the OT Berlin series.
I can see being frustrated by the inconsistencies with SSO and SCS. It can be truly maddening. But I can't see how Berlin really resolves them. For my uses, Berlin (which I have) is even more inconsistent than is SSO/SCS, and fussier besides (especially Berlin Strings) and if I wanted consistency I'd go for VSL or Cinematic Studios. (BSS is an exception, and I find it quite consistent, and much easier to use than Berlin Strings or SSS.)

Hello everyone, I am a student specializing in film scoring and I’m looking for advice on selecting a comprehensive orchestral library without considering budget constraints. I’m aiming to acquire the best available library for each section of the orchestra. Could you please recommend libraries for the following categories?

1. Strings:
• Symphonic Strings
• Chamber Strings
• Solo Strings
2. Woodwinds:
3. Brass:
4. Additional libraries specifically for composing for a Jazz Big Band
5. Percussion

I am not looking for general suggestions like SSO or NI Komplete bundles. Instead, I prefer recommendations for the best and most suitable library for each individual section. Thank you!
This is the case where everyone has their favorites for their workflow and you're unfortunately going to have to try several libraries to find what works for you. I will say that Cinematic Studio series is a great starting point for most people due to its unmatched consistency: you can literally drag and drop midi parts between strings, solo strings, woodwinds, and brass and they just work. Whether the sound is what you're into is another story, but check out Rico Derk's Project Colossal site to see what can be done with EQ and reverb with CS to make it sound as good as any library out there. If I had it to do over again from a blank slate, I'd get the entire CS series, supplement it with any percussion library you like (Cineperc is easy and comprehensive, True Strike has a lot of fans and still sounds amazing over 10 years later), Spitfire Chamber Strings essentials, Samplicity Berlin Studio Reverb and get to work.

After you go through the "purist" phase of VI exploration (kidding!), it may be time to check out Performance Samples...

if I wanted consistency I'd go for VSL or Cinematic Studios
I'm not sure if there's need to be ashamed about this - but after more than 5TB of downloaded sample libaries and many years of using some of them, I've never touched a VSL instrument, ever. But Cinematic Studio indeed shines here from my experience. Just copy & paste!

That's a very tall order because you will get a lot of different opinions. One person's best is another person's garbage. And best really has little to do with the amount of money you spend.

Also an excellent price! It seems like the only thing currently comparable in terms of price and depth of articulations is Hollywood Orchestra, even cheaper on sale.

I really hope they do the same sort of Kontakt update for SStO as they did for SSO. Having updated legatos and performance patches is a big deal imo and will make SStO much more usable into the future. I have doubts they will do it, but I sure hope they do (especially if they make the new standard version include those lovely OUTRIGGERS)!

I'm not sure if there's need to be ashamed about this - but after more than 5TB of downloaded sample libaries and many years of using some of them, I've never touched a VSL instrument, ever. But Cinematic Studio indeed shines here from my experience. Just copy & paste!
May I ask for you to list some of the VSL Libraries you own but don't use? Please tell me 'The Whistler' is on the list...

Here's my humble 2 cents: The reason the 'old classics' get mentioned is that they are classics for good reason - they sound amazing, were recorded well, are programmed well, and are easier to perform or compose with. You may not see many new full symphonic orchestras on the market because there is so much saturation at this point. A lot of library makers are focusing in on specific style or sectioned libraries instead.

Symph Strings: Cinematic Studio Strings / Berlin Orchestra / SSO
Chamber: SCS / CSSoloStrings
Solo: CSSoloStrings / AR2 Iconic Strings (Core) - Dont' get Spitfire Solo Strings, cello TPF doesn't work, overcooked vibrato, yucky tone
Woods: CSW / BO Woods / SSO
Brass: JXL Brass/ BO Brass / CSB
Big Band: No experience here, but I believe OT has a "big band" library specifically for this

I would highly recommend things like Spitfire's Mercury or OACE (Olafur Arnolds Chamber Evos) and other texture libraries for non traditional articulations. Albions Tundra and Solstice have a wonderful selection of non-traditional playing and/or instrumentation to fill out and add uniqueness to compositions.

Nor have I. I also don’t use Cinematic Studio libraries. You can infer from that that I value things other than consistency in virtual instruments.

Dont' get Spitfire Solo Strings, cello TPF doesn't work, overcooked vibrato, yucky tone
I quite like the SF Solo Strings, though I agree that the Total Performance patches (both cello and violin) are not stellar. I'm also not fond of the virtuoso violin. But the other instruments are all very usable, with the reservation that the vibrato is on/off (which I find works better than it has a right to) and the short sustain before rebow. They aren't for everything, but they remain the core of quartet writing for me, and the first desk violin, viola, and cello all make for excellent spot soloists in orchestral settings.

May I ask for you to list some of the VSL Libraries you own but don't use? Please tell me 'The Whistler' is on the list...
Sorry for the misunderstanding! I don't own any VSL libraries, it's just a company that hasn't been on my radar at all for whatever reason, therefore I was just referring to other developers with my "5TB +" of libraries comment. No valid opinion on how good VSL is from my site. No idea what "The Whistler" is.

Sorry for the misunderstanding! I don't own any VSL libraries, it's just a company that hasn't been on my radar at all for whatever reason, therefore I was just referring to other developers with my "5TB +" of libraries comment. No valid opinion on how good VSL is from my site. No idea what "The Whistler" is.
Thanks for clarifying. I probably have the name wrong, but the whistler is an actual whistling library lol. I really wanted to get it for giggles my but partner promptly put her foot down and said she did not want me to make any whistle music hahahah.

Thanks for clarifying. I probably have the name wrong, but the whistler is an actual whistling library lol. I really wanted to get it for giggles my but partner promptly put her foot down and said she did not want me to make any whistle music hahahah.
There is a Whistler Ensemble from Embertone that is quite fun to use! That one I have!

Sorry, back to Orchestral Starter Libraries. Except @lishuiX wants to buy a whistling library before anything else. I would respect that decision.

I can't disagree with any of this advice, except to say that I've never had particular difficulty mixing SSO instruments with other libraries (especially OT libraries recorded in Teldex) with the proviso that you have to mix to SSO. You are never going to make that library dry. And the same can be said of SCS. The sound of Air is of course one of the main draws of these libraries.

(I'd add that I'm not fond of SSS, and tend to replace it with BSS or HZS when the music needs a big band of strings.)
That's why I would probably lean towards BBCSO Pro as a first choice as you can make that drier sounding or as wet as SSO so you get more flexibility in the sound you want. SSO as a full package is great though but as you mentioned you ain't going to make SSO sound dry.

I'm also not the biggest user of SSS. I use it more as a supplement to other string libraries or for some articulations (I quite like the longer shorts in it).

Top Bottom