What's new

Cakewalk SONAR 2024 teaser, track delay negative offset per articulation, note range, velocity

Wow, the delay per articulation feature is really major for those that want to setup a template with each instrument on one track instead of articulations on each track. I don't use notation but I've always thought that if I were exporting a score from MIDI, it's a struggle in other DAWs to have a nice workflow where everything's lined up on grid and reading properly in the score + playing correctly in the VSTs as well.

So just to clarify cause I find all these different versions confusing, if I want to try the new CakewalkSONAR I need to purchase membership in backstage pass? For $14.95/month?

I don't mind paying I just f-ing despise subscriptions if I could pay $500 and have Sonar to own I'd have no issue, don't want to pay $150/year.

Or am I missing some other beta opportunity? When will it be actually released and do you think it will always be subscription?

So just to clarify cause I find all these different versions confusing, if I want to try the new CakewalkSONAR I need to purchase membership in backstage pass? For $14.95/month?

I don't mind paying I just f-ing despise subscriptions if I could pay $500 and have Sonar to own I'd have no issue, don't want to pay $150/year.

Or am I missing some other beta opportunity? When will it be actually released and do you think it will always be subscription?
This is a public beta that you can try for free but you cannot save a project. Beta is still rough as features are added. Pricing and release date have not been announced. I'm continuing to use Cakewalk Bandlab until the dust settles.

This is a public beta that you can try for free but you cannot save a project. Beta is still rough as features are added. Pricing and release date have not been announced. I'm continuing to use Cakewalk Bandlab until the dust settles.
Ok thanks. So if I paid the subscription I would be able to save in the beta? Or it doesn't matter...?

Ok thanks. So if I paid the subscription I would be able to save in the beta? Or it doesn't matter...?
The sub allows you to save. W/O the sub it's not activated and gives you a pop up screen every few minutes.

I like the look of the new interface myself, so I hope they Iron out the bugs and give a pricing plan soon

SONAR coming "back" feels like an old girlfriend showing up after you just got married. :sneaky: I am glad to see it and quasi-excited, but I'm pretty much a Studio One guy now. I have an ATOM, which is the PreSonus controller/drum thingy. I will wait to see the pricing on SONAR, but...

Cakewalk was the first application I installed when I bought my first computer in 1989, and it's all I've used. Couple years ago, I decided to make the jump to Studio One. I built a few projects with it, but went back to Cakewalk after a few months, because the Midi manipulation features in S1 were just not as robust. The Presonus support guys admitted as much, saying "Well no, we don't have the Midi editing features of Cakewalk, but we hope to get there someday". So I returned home.

Is it a good DAW? Who cares, it's what I know.

I've used Cakewalk forever - I started in MS Dos somewhere around version 4. Back when it was just midi and it used to use the little open circle from the character set as a marker that you had midi on a track! And who can forget "The scream" as the midi panic button lol.

So many amazing things about cakewalk. And to be honest, it was a disaster with the X series. The last professional cakewalk for any real work was Sonar 8.6. After that, I'm convinced that Noel and company hated the program and wanted to destroy it. Massive credit to bandlab because they took Sonar and undid a lot of the damage the bakers did to it during the X series. They really made it respectable again.

I hope they offer a perpetual license because I'd love to dump studio one, which in my opinion is a pig. Sonar has superior multi core implementation. Sonar has always been more robust. Plugins that crash studio one, Sonar laughs at. You go to the studio one forum and it's always "It's not studio one! The plugin is programmed badly!" Oh yeah? Why does sonar power through it like the kool aid man then? Better midi implementation. Someone in this thread said CAL was ahead of its time - totally...I loved CAL and used a lot of scripts for all sorts of things. Cakewalk should have really nurtured that more.

The one thing I absolutely loved about cakewalk and abhor in studio one, is that you can mix an entire song in cakewalk without ever leaving the track view! You NEVER have to open the mixer view. Every single thing from the plug in bin to panning, etc. are all available in the track view. I hated in studio one that I had to switch back and forth between both the track and mixer to get things done. I hate the fake mixer view. Just eats up screen real estate. Cakewalk's track view is amazing.

Really looking forward to seeing what comes out of this.

Working last night after having read this thread made me more aware of Cakewalk itself, and here are some things I wish it would do:

* IGNORE CLIPS - I almost never use clips as clips. I spend most of my time in Piano Roll View, and when I do need to use Track View, I'm constantly bouncing to a single clip. They are a nuisance and a half.
* SELECTION FOR GROWN-UPS - In Piano Roll View, if I select a bunch of notes in order to edit them as a group (such as changing velocity, pitch or note length in bulk for example) I am required to select on one individual member of my selection. Why not have a box drawn around the selection and edit it that way instead of having to work with a single note which then works on all selected notes? Say I have a 20-bar passage consisting of a lot of staccato notes and I decide I want the note length to be slightly longer. I select them all, but then to lengthen them I need to get the cursor in just the exact spot for lengthening a single note. Easier to zoom in after selecting, and then zooming out again, but why make us go through that?
* LASSO LASSO LASSO - Melodies that weave in and out of other material are extremely difficult to select. I often have to select note by note by note. Why not offer Lasso mode to ease the ability to select a group of notes not easily defined within a rectangle?
* GROUP SELECTION - And then once I've painstakingly selected that melody, I want to be able to create a note group so that if I need to select the melody again I don't have to go through the same exercise of clicking notes one by one.
* MUTE IMPROVEMENT - I want to see what this piano part sounds like with that middle voice out of there. So I (painstakingly) select the notes in the middle voice and mute them. They turn hollow. At which point you cannot tell when they are ever selected or not. Nor can you select a passage and say "Just delete all the muted notes". So woe to you if you mute a bit and then record material on top of the muted notes.

Top Bottom