What's new

Best Service - Engine - Finally getting an update

Yeah okay... but what would you do with the player if you don't have a single library that you can use with it? :geek:

I'm looking forward to Forest Kingdom 3 and NADA :) My all-time favorite ENGINE libraries.
Not freak out. The exact same thing I’ve been doing before this new player was released. A few days ago I wasn’t even thinking about engine. I’m not gonna wake up angry every day because they released a new version that I can’t use yet.

To be fair I’m the type of person that doesn’t use the latest version of an operating system. I will remain on windows 10 until they stop supporting it. I always build computers a generation behind whatever the current tech is. If you are a day one adopter of anything, you are basically a beta tester in this day and age. This doesn’t have anything specific to do with sample libraries or music related companies either unfortunately.

If you have some connections with US politicians, perhaps you can start a movement which changes the laws around this. It would likely fix the problem for the rest of the world at the same time.

You are releasing the ready-made product. They shouldn’t release an engine unless they have a good portion of libraries ready to go. One library, with zero info on dates for their bigger ones, is ridiculous. They have lagged behind on Apple silicon for far too long, and their current engine hates CPUs.
Why don't you just write what you mean? Which is presumably "they need to publish the stuff I own right now". Because otherwise your points make no sense. Releasing some smaller libraries to check that things didn't get missed and also because they may well be quicker to port makes perfect sense. Your proposal is that they release nothing until some heavy-hitter library is ready (and which you own) just holds up everything else.

I'm sure BS would have been happier had Magix kept Independence/Engine updated. But they didn't. They went bust instead.

Engine 2 was released ~ 12 years ago. Engine Player is the new software.
Wow, you blew my mind. Totally thought Engine 2 was the new one (I almost never use Engine and didn’t notice) Congrats to Best Service for making it confusing, is Engine 3 already used for something? My mistake, thanks for clarifying it for me Lukas.

Chaos? Released too soon?
Well, perhaps the word "chaos" was a bit too strong, but I was wondering yesterday why I couldn't download the new Engine or if I could use it with my existing libraries, such as Era II Medieval Legends.

I see that there is now a FAQ page about this on the Best Service website, which does answer my main question that the new Engine Player will eventually replace the old Engine 2.

Well, perhaps the word "chaos" was a bit too strong, but I was wondering yesterday why I couldn't download the new Engine or if I could use it with my existing libraries, such as Era II Medieval Legends.

I see that there is now a FAQ page about this on the Best Service website, which does answer my main question that the new Engine Player will eventually replace the old Engine 2.
If you own a library that has been converted you'll get an email saying as much when its ready, no need to guess just wait.

The amount of defending you’re making for them is sort of ridiculous. Telling me to sit this out is also silly. They barely tried from the sounds of things, because they released three small libraries. They decided, yep, the world is ready.
I'm not defending Best Service. I just think you're a bit clueless about software development, and I wanted to share a different angle. But hey, feel free to keep venting. It will not change anything.

Last edited:
The amount of defending you’re making for them is sort of ridiculous. Telling me to sit this out is also silly. They barely tried from the sounds of things, because they released three small libraries. They decided, yep, the world is ready.
I find it quite remarkable and interesting to see that Best Service launches a new player and everyone's complaining. Amazing :) We now have more than we had a week ago, and people are still complaining. When the next update comes out with new features, what will happen? There will be complaints that feature X is not included. Fabulous!

People complain that things are confusing, but all you have to do is read. It's all on the website. Complaints that it is unclear which libraries the new player can be used with!? It's clearly stated on the website.

available.png

coming_soon.png

Two products available. Four products coming soon! What is not clear?

It is intolerable that not all 10 Eduardo Tarilonte libraries are available from the start. And from a software development perspective, it's totally incomprehensible not to release all 10 products at once. :geek:

Am I defending the Best Service release? Hell yes! It goes forward and I'm happy about it. Would I also like it if my TOP3 features were already included? Absolutely! Can I understand that stability, host compatibility, OS compatibility and all the other basics had priority and all the nice to have features are coming later? Totally.

Do I prefer to make music with the capabilities of a new piece of software or do I prefer to get mad online about what it can't do yet? Rather the former.

Is it also a bit entertaining? Well, yes.

Last edited:
I wished they had ported things to Kontakt instead of introducing yet another unnecessary proprietary eco-system. Having to deal with yet another player with it's own ways to store content and licensing scheme makes me less inclined to jump on that bandwagon.
In general, I would agree. But given the mess with Kontakt 7 right now, I‘m actually happy for any library that does NOT get released for it. Currently, any other sample player is more robust than K7.

It’ll be interesting to see how quickly these next 4 releases appear, they weren’t there a week ago.

The most optimistic scenario is that they developed a widgimithing where they put the Engine 2 code in one end Engine Player code spits out the other end, which would means the other legacy libraries won’t be so far away. Wishful thinking no doubt.

Did it ever occur to you they didn’t released the bigger ones because they might be in the testing phase? Because, you know, you also said you don’t want to be the tester so they shouldn’t rush releases.
If you read the rest of my comments in this thread and not this one in a complete vacuum, whilst also using more nuance, you'd understand that my complaint is that they've been working on this engine for an extremely long time, and based on intel people have shared about where they were in the testing phase many many months ago, and this includes communication I had a long time ago with them myself when they said they were working on porting libraries, they finally release an engine with a tiny amount of usable libraries, and even with the releases coming soon, it's still very small as a selection.

It's ironic because they have been far too slow in all of this, especially with native software for Apple compared to all other competitors, but at the same time, they should have delayed until they actually had a more substantial release. I don't think they've managed this very well.

they finally release an engine with a tiny amount of usable libraries, and even with the releases coming soon, it's still very small as a selection.
I think that's actually smart if they first release some not so interesting and small libraries, just to check whether the copy protection holds up. The old Engine and Independence sampler weren't cracked in over a decade. That was the reason that libraries like Era or Forest Kingdom weren't released on Kontakt. It would be problematic if those were basically available in case the new protection doesn't hold up as well. If not, then only the church organ and accordions would be affected.

From the Engine FAQ:
"We are currently working on transferring all important Engine 2 libraries to the new player."

I'm gonna go out on a limb that this probably doesn't bode will for Synth Werk and Titan. I have 14 libraries for Engine it will be interesting which ones are "important". But, no complaints! (Assuming that anything is better than current Engine 2.)

Why don't you just write what you mean? Which is presumably "they need to publish the stuff I own right now". Because otherwise your points make no sense. Releasing some smaller libraries to check that things didn't get missed and also because they may well be quicker to port makes perfect sense. Your proposal is that they release nothing until some heavy-hitter library is ready (and which you own) just holds up everything else.

I'm sure BS would have been happier had Magix kept Independence/Engine updated. But they didn't. They went bust instead.
If you want to totally interpret all I'm saying as being totally self-serving and just for the libraries I own, then that lack of understanding is really your issue. It's also totally missing my overall points, but sure, I'm just so upset because BS won't do what they for ME.

My point is about the big libraries that are their most popular. This is about everyone else, and they really should've had a lot more to show for themselves after all this library testing and, crucially, the porting, they said they'd been doing leading up to this. Using this release as a test trial isn't the right way to have done it, they should've had a lot more, for a lot more people.

Best Service have taken a hell of a long time to catch up, and people just give companies wayyy too much of a pass when they present very little. They're not your friends, they're people you've paid a lot of money to.

Last edited:
It's also totally missing my overall points, but sure, I'm just so upset because BS won't do what they for ME.
For someone who isn't upset, you sure do take issue with a lot of people on this thread with even a slightly different view.

Best Service have taken a hell of a long time to catch up, and people just give companies wayyy too much of a pass when they present very little. They're not your friends, they're people you've paid a lot of money to.

Your error is to assume people saying the order of release makes a degree of sense is because they think a company is a "friend" and not because it, er, makes sense. I'd be happier if they'd ditched Magix earlier as software takes time and samples on top of software takes even more time. In the event I just spun up Engine2 on an Intel slave machine running VEP instead of spending my time repeatedly whining about things on teh interwebz.

Last edited:
FWIW: Engine Player loads faster and I ran French Musette in Engine2 (0.45% CPU, max) and Engine Player (0.91 CPU, max) in Reaper and it seems that Engine2 boots up "louder."

Also, FWIW, over the years Engine2 has become more reliable and stable and I haven't been plagued with re-authorizations for a few years. Hopefully, the libraries will be updated but, like the Musette, co-exist with Engine2. Why? Well, with something like Titan2 with 128000 presets, I generally just preview and/or tweak from the QuickEdit GUI but, nonetheless, the ProEdit tab will be missed. This is what you no longer get with Musette:
Clipboard01.jpg

Paj
8^|

For those who have the same problem as me (not seeing my keyboard on the midi list), I wrote Best Service about that and they will correct it. In fact, there is a scrolling menu but no arrows indicates it. But you just have to mouseover and scroll the mouse wheel. For the NKS they told me it was on their list but they want to release the libraries first. I'm also very gratefull to Best Service, they had a very nice gesture (even if I didn't ask for anything) and offered me the full version of Accordions 2 (I only had 2 intruments). It was very kind from them and I appreciated this a lot.
I appreciate their response very much.

Top Bottom