What's new

Best Service - Engine - Finally getting an update

I wished they had ported things to Kontakt instead of introducing yet another unnecessary proprietary eco-system. Having to deal with yet another player with it's own ways to store content and licensing scheme makes me less inclined to jump on that bandwagon.

From the info on the site, it seems we're supposed to download it from our Best Service accounts but I can't find any download link there as of right now.

I wished they had ported things to Kontakt instead of introducing yet another unnecessary proprietary eco-system. Having to deal with yet another player with it's own ways to store content and licensing scheme makes me less inclined to jump on that bandwagon.
I can't say I disagree with you, but I am still looking forward to using my Eduardo Tarilonte libraries in something less archaic then the old Engine plugin.

I can't say I disagree with you, but I am still looking forward to using my Eduardo Tarilonte libraries in something less archaic then the old Engine plugin.
Sure. His libraries deserve a better player. In this case though I really wished they had moved to Kontakt. It took sooo long for Engine and there was virtually no transparency about it's development along the way.
I am skeptical about this transparency for the future when we might have to deal with bugs or other reasons to wait for another update or fixes. It has been handled poorly in the past so I am not getting my hopes up there to quickly.

I don’t know. I can’t say I especially like Kontakt Player libraries and with the direction Native Instruments seems headed we may soon all be happy that there are lots of companies outside that ecosystem.

I don’t know. I can’t say I especially like Kontakt Player libraries and with the direction Native Instruments seems headed we may soon all be happy that there are lots of companies outside that ecosystem.
I'd rather have one system that we might bitch about but one that we know and can navigate around the quirks instead of having a gazillion proprietary players who all have their individual quirks and ways to handle contents, licensing etc.
E.g moving to a new computer would be a LOT swifter with only Kontakt libraries than having to deal with dozens of different eco (ego) systems. And that's only one aspect.

It's called PE: Player Envy.

Kinda pointless saying “I wish it coulda been Kontakt”, but I realise the internet.

I’m only going to use this for a handful of Eduardo libraries, so my needs are pretty modest. Here’s what I want from Engine Player:

1. It works reliably.

2. It runs in Silicon (tick! Already confirmed).

3. It can stream efficiently from SSD/NVMe (bonus if it can background load).

4. It’s not a total PITA.

Thats it.

I wished they had ported things to Kontakt instead of introducing yet another unnecessary proprietary eco-system.
Now let's not pretend that Kontakt is a particularly progressive, exemplary piece of software known for leanness and expandability ;)

They removed the modulation and mixer section?
Well it's a new software... so logically nothing has been removed. But perhaps not yet added. Robust foundation first. I like it.

While I prefer full Kontakt because of its behind the wrench/spanner capabilities, I also use a number of other brand players and don't really see an issue with using them. It ain't rocket science.

I'm glad that they're not moving to another ancient sample player called Kontakt.
I hope that this player is exactly as it looks: simple to use.
So far it seems to have:
- settings for different types of HDD/SSD
- proper resizable without blurry fonts and other quirks
- quick to use: load and play

Also, devs can't hide behind 'old code it will take years to implement X feature' :grin:

The only minus is that libraries are not yet updated for it. I wonder if it will take months or years for each library to get an update.

Top Bottom