What's new

Best resources for learning copyright law for composers?

FuzyDunlop

Looking for good book recommendations (or e-books, or websites, or podcasts etc) for this opaque and anxiety-inducing topic. I searched a few times but I think the search terms are too vague. I'd like to learn as much as I can about copyright, royalties, publishing etc. I have a few books about media composition that cover the topic a bit but they're all pretty old (pre-streaming at least).

I can recommend Dan Graham articles for publishing, royalties and music library. They are 4 part. The link below is part 1 but scroll down to the end of the page to find the links to the other parts.

About copyright, you can simply register your music to the US copyright office for a fee. Albums are recommended for lower fees. Anyways, why are you so concerned about copyrighting? By law, tracks are copyrighted automatically the time they are created so they're yours. Just make sure to avoid publishing them on your YT channel by yourself or anywhere else until they get licensed.

I can recommend Dan Graham articles for publishing, royalties and music library. They are 4 part. The link below is part 1 but scroll down to the end of the page to find the links to the other parts.

Thanks, I've read that before and it's very useful.
Anyways, why are you so concerned about copyrighting?

I'm not concerned about copyrighting, I'm concerned about learning about copyright law.

Just make sure to avoid publishing them on your YT channel by yourself or anywhere else until they get licensed.

What do you mean by this?

Depending on how deep you want to dive down the rabbit hole, The Plain & Simple Guide To Music Publishing is pretty thorough with copyright info.
As is Donald Passman’s book :)

What do you mean by this?
I mean if you have tracks that you're worried to be stolen compositionally, don't publish them anywhere unless they're licensed by a publisher. When you asked the forum about books to learn more about copyright law, anyone on earth can assume that you wanna learn it to protect your stuff, not for the beauty of it. And yet, you're saying that you're not concerned about copyrighting but you're concerned about learning copyright law, sounds a bit contradiction to me.

It's like saying: "I am not concerned about math, I am concerned about learning addition and subtraction"

When you asked the forum about books to learn more about copyright law, anyone on earth can assume that you wanna learn it to protect your stuff
Well, I don't, and the other repliers to this thread have given me recommendations that are actually what I'm looking for.

A better analogy would be me asking for books about mathematics and you replying "why do you want to do your taxes yourself? just use turbotax"

Top Bottom