What's new

Best limiters/'louderners'

I just installed the new Eventide and it seems killer. A quick head-to-head with the Pro-L and it seems like it can be cleaner than the Pro-L.

Ozone 8 is good.

My favorite would be Fabfilter mastering bundle but it's rather pricey. You could perhaps settle for less and just get Pro-L and Saturn or Pro-C2.
Fab Filter is a good value for what you get, and visually is amazing...if you want it to be. Sonically, as pristine as you'd ever want..though it can be pumped up.
Slate Everything Bundle has numerous impressive sonic tools.

I just installed the new Eventide and it seems killer. A quick head-to-head with the Pro-L and it seems like it can be cleaner than the Pro-L.

Yeah, it's unlike any limiter I've ever had. It's been a bit complicated but once it's dialed in it's pretty amazing.

Another vote for the new Eventide Elevate bundle, especially the limiter. These are incredible tools, really deep in what they can do but fairly straightforward to use. Recently mastered a full metal album with these plugs. The team who worked on the album put it up against a test master from a well known studio using analog gear and it compared well, so well we decided to finish it in-house.

Up until now I've been using the Flux tools such as Elixir and Alchemist, and also Ozone 7.

Last edited:
Fab filter Pro-L nice one, but with A.O.M. Invisible Limiter you can get more loudness without "pumping" and distortion.

My go-to master bus limiters are listed below:
  • PSP Audioware Xenon
  • IK Multimedia T-RackS Stealth
  • iZotope Ozone 7 Advanced (Maximizer & Vintage Limiter)
  • Wave Arts FinalPlug 5
  • Voxengo Elephant 4.5
Although I overall prefer Xenon, I tend use Stealth most often since I purchased it upon release.

Welp. Fabfilter have just announced their update to Pro-L 2. As my favourite limiter overall. HYPE! I love how they come out of nowhere with just enough time to get excited about it/allocate funds :P

8x oversampling. True peak, more/even better metering options and analysis. 3 (or 4?) new limiting algorithms. Just not so long ago I was thinking Pro-L was probably the only plugin they could really improve since it’s a few years old now.

Highly recommend using Sonnox Limiter and Inflator. There is a reason it's still the choice at Abbey Road for Mastering. If you happen to use UAD the sale prices are very good right now.

FF L1 has always seemed hard to find the sweet spot for me when I tried it, hopefully V2 will fix that.

Last edited:
Highly recommend using Sonnox Limiter and Inflator. There is a reason it's still the choice at Abbey Road for Mastering. If you happen to use UAD the sale prices are very good right now.

FF L2 has always seemed hard to find the sweet spot for me when I tried it, hopefully V2 will fix that.
+1 for Sonnox. (Inflator can be very handy in certain situations. But handle with care.)

Top Bottom