What's new

Are there any good vocal libraries out there?

Man I got to say that is a great example, indeed that is a great library and I love the transitions. I was especially concerned on how this library performs when going with the melody down in an octave as this proves to be harder to emulate in an instrument. For example at 1:15 I can see such a transition that is a bit imperfect, there is some bit of a "choking" effect that happens on the legato transition but it's definitely better than in other libraries, as I said I am not looking for perfection because singing is a bit tricky, I tried to sing myself and noticed how legato works in real life. It has a lot to do with the way you shape your mouth opening and jaw position when "exhaling" the note and also how you contract your neck muscles on the release, definitely it's something you can't do with a virtual instrument.

By the way, the end of that song is ... AWESOME! If I were you I'd get rid of the first part, (because it's the ostinati from the original song with a few changes, still a good try 😉) and focus on the second part, maybe use it as an intro by removing a few layers of percussion and replacing the female choir with a male choir that is a bit softer and slowly leading to the climax. It has a potential to be an awesome song and this is just a suggestion, you know what to do, your song writing and mixing is definitely better than mine so this is just a listener suggestion. I know that the second part is still inspired from the same song but unlike the first part, unless you know what song this track is inspired by, this will sound very original. So yeah good job on that, and again, the voicing example is very good and I will take it in consideration.
After many vocal libraries, I have accumulated a lot of experience in this area.

Atlantis III features 6 singers, each with her own style.

The True Legato offered by my libraries ( Atlantis III , Prometheus, Sahara Voices ) is chromatically sampled, With no loops. The transition is real all the way to the end, so there are no infinite loops in the voice. Which are unrealistic. Only TRUE voice.

and many of the Legato articulations have a double layer controlled by midi velocity.

This way, you can choose a slightly different transition ( for example differnt ornaments )

Perfection is not of this world :), but I can confidently say that if used properly, respecting the natural idea behind each of the True Legatos, the quality is nearly perfect.
Considering that is not present only the True Legato but THOUSANDS of Vocal Phrases and other vocal instruments ( vocals textures , sustains, poly chants etc )

I've put a lot of work into it, and furthermore, Clara Sorace, one of the professional singers of Atlantis III ( and also other Etheras ), is my wife, so I had a very strict vocal supervisor. 🙃

I suggest you take a look at my YouTube channel, there are many videos and tutorials that can inspire you.

As well as, obviously, on the Zero-G website.

See you soon!

Last edited:
Clara Sorace, one of the professional singers of Atlantis III ( and also other Etheras ), is my wife, so I had a very strict vocal supervisor. 🙃
She made a really good job ! And we can also ear all the care and the love you put in transcribing her incredible voice in the Ethera serie !

After many vocal libraries, I have accumulated a lot of experience in this area.

The True Legato offered by my libraries ( Atlantis III , Prometheus, Sahara Voices ) is chromatically sampled, With no loops. The transition is real all the way to the end, so there are no infinite loops in the voice. Which are unrealistic. Only TRUE voice.

and many of the Legato articulations have a double layer controlled by midi velocity.

This way, you can choose a slightly different transition ( for example differnt ornaments )

Perfection is not of this world :), but I can confidently say that if used properly, respecting the natural idea behind each of the True Legatos, the quality is nearly perfect.
Considering that is not present only the True Legato but THOUSANDS of Vocal Phrases and other vocal instruments ( vocals textures , sustains, poly chants etc )

I've put a lot of work into it, and furthermore, Clara Sorace, one of the professional singers of Atlantis III ( and also other Etheras ), is my wife, so I had a very strict vocal supervisor. 🙃

I suggest you take a look at my YouTube channel, there are many videos and tutorials that can inspire you.

See you soon!
Hi Stefano,

Slightly off-topic, but did you say, a few months ago, that you were working on a new version of Sahara Voices?

The transition is real all the way to the end, so there are no infinite loops in the voice. Which are unrealistic. Only TRUE voice.
I couldn't agree more and I am glad you brought this aspect up because many libraries sound bad due to the fact that the sound is looped and it becomes unpleasant, I am glad that in your library this doesn't happen because it can be very annoying especially when vibrato is involved (and it would make sense because in a real voice the interval in a vibrato pattern varies whereas in a loop it's always the same and you get a robotic feeling).
Also the fact that the legato can be controlled by velocity is a great feature because I do want to get some harsh transitions at times (especially when a melody rises) and softer ones when it goes down. And I will definitely watch your tutorials because in order to use a library one has got to know what de different functions do. I remember the time when I had no idea what the attack/release knobs do 😂 and looking at a library interface was like looking at a space ship control module.
By the way I noticed that some libraries have knobs that do not work because they copy/paste the interface in different patches that do not even use the knobs, a beginner might get stuck in that scenario.

Last edited:

See you soon!
Not wanting to be a fan-boy here, but the Ethera libraries are top notch and real value for money.

Would be great to get some more ensemble/choir stuff from Stefano

Hi Stefano,

Slightly off-topic, but did you say, a few months ago, that you were working on a new version of Sahara Voices?
This is in the plan for 2024-2025. Sahara Voices is one of my favorites, even if it's "small" compared to Atlantis III, for example. I would definitely like to make a version 2.0. Maybe by doing an "ethnic" a bit more modern.

Clara can really do something in the style of "Dune". I would also like to add that kind of "ethnic" as a style.

Now I'm completing Kepler.

I couldn't agree more and I am glad you brought this aspect up because many libraries sound bad due to the fact that the sound is looped and it becomes unpleasant, I am glad that in your library this doesn't happen because it can be very annoying especially when vibrato is involved (and it would make sense because in a real voice the interval in a vibrato pattern varies whereas in a loop it's always the same and you get a robotic feeling).
Also the fact that the legato can be controlled by velocity is a great feature because I do want to get some harsh transitions at times (especially when a melody rises) and softer ones when it goes down. And I will definitely watch your tutorials because in order to use a library one has got to know what de different functions do. I remember the time when I had no idea what the attack/release knobs do 😂 and looking at a library interface was like looking at a space ship control module.
By the way I noticed that some libraries have knobs that do not work because they copy/paste the interface in different patches that do not even use the knobs, a beginner might get stuck in that scenario.
Absolutely, yes. It is more work for the developer and for the singer...but then the true legato sounds so good.

This approach really pushes you to deliver more authentic vocal performances, reminding you that you're not playing a violin but a voice, which demands a distinct technique.

As for the sliders, I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Could you send me a direct message to clarify? Many Thanks!

Not wanting to be a fan-boy here, but the Ethera libraries are top notch and real value for money.

Would be great to get some more ensemble/choir stuff from Stefano

Thanks Mate!

I would really love to make an Ethera Choir library!

I have many ideas to do something different from what we have on the market (there are so many great choir libraries), but I have some ideas to introduce my own style.

The problem for me, being a 'small' and independent developer, is raising a considerable budget.

A choir costs a lot of money,
( the cost of 5 Singers of Atlantis ( 1 is my wife ) * 25 ( for a choir of 30 elements ) + the cost of a big studio, a lot of money)

In Elements Kepler ( that is not a Choir Library but an Hybrid Library ), which I am completing these days, I created some choir textures (very cool, I must say), and I had a first approach to this thing.

The costs are enormous.

Just only for the Choir textures, I spent 500 euros/day on studio time alone (I can't do it in my studio), you need a nice hall.

And 3000 Euros for the choir ( about 30 members , 15 man, 15 women , and they have to be paid..)

And this for just an afternoon of recording to take home just the some choir textures and breath shouts, which I wanted to do for Kepler.

I paid about 3500 euros just to make some nice choir textures.

So, to make a choir library, you would need at least ( at least ) 2 weeks of sampling.

Working 5 hours a day with breaks, every day.

Maybe you can manage to bring home some good material.
But it would require at least 30,000 Euros to do a decent quantity of stuff.

So, to make a specific choir library as I have in mind with the quality of Ethera Gold Atlantis requires a very, very large budget. I would need to find an investor/sponsor :) 🙃

Last edited:
Any ETA on this? 😍
It's out!

See you soon!
Hi Stefano,

I use Atlantis III and Etheras, simply the best vocal libraries available to add on a track, nothing moves a track towards epic or emotional like your wife’s voice, she is a rockstar!

Hi Stefano,

I use Atlantis III and Etheras, simply the best vocal libraries available to add on a track, nothing moves a track towards epic or emotional like your wife’s voice, she is a rockstar!
Thanks, mate!

Yes, Clara is definitely a 'rock star' in the Epic genre, haha, and she is very much in demand, fortunately for her, by composers around the world for remote recording.

But the power of Atlantis III is all the magnificent vocalists we have chosen and included.

My only regret is not having done a True Legato also with Elena.

But I hope we will do it in the future.

Thanks for this feedback !

Last edited:
Strezov has their Storm Choir Ultimate on sale starting today, and this library has for my money the best set of classical voices available for singing the semblance of words with melismas. I would buy it at its current price for the soloists alone, we're that desperate for solo voices that sing syllables with melismas (and so able to deliver the semblance of words).
I am very much tempted to purchase Storm Choir Ultimate at this 50% off sale but, I have been bitten in the past by purchasing a deeply discounted library only to realize it was being discounted because they were on the verge of releasing a newer library* -- and yes, although the new release may or may not end up being necessarily better than the discounted one, I would hypothesize that, with the advancements of sample library technology, it likely would be and, if I purchase the discounted one right before the newer one is released, I lose the ability to compare the two before purchase

With all that being said, there will always be a newer, better [insert service or product of your choice here] and sometimes it is best to buy what you need in the moment rather than relying on future FOMO

*This post is not meant to single out Strezov at all

I am very much tempted to purchase Storm Choir Ultimate at this 50% off sale but, I have been bitten in the past by purchasing a deeply discounted library only to realize it was being discounted because they were on the verge of releasing a newer library* -- and yes, although the new release may or may not end up being necessarily better than the discounted one, I would hypothesize that, with the advancements of sample library technology, it likely would be and, if I purchase the discounted one right before the newer one is released, I lose the ability to compare the two before purchase

With all that being said, there will always be a newer, better [insert service or product of your choice here] and sometimes it is best to buy what you need in the moment rather than relying on future FOMO

*This post is not meant to single out Strezov at all
Strezov runs these sorts of sales on and off and they rarely portend the release of a new library in the class. In any event for solo singers, I would welcome a new library, and it would almost certainly complement this set of singers rather than replace them.

I'd also say that Strezov would be more likely to replace Wotan and Freyja with a new version than SCU.

With all the choir libraries that are being released I am surprised that most of them just do the same thing over and over. I would welcome a choir VI that would sufficiently cover the needs for a minimalist writing style, tons of round robins on short syllables and all the things you need to mock up something of e.g. John Adams.

With all the choir libraries that are being released I am surprised that most of them just do the same thing over and over. I would welcome a choir VI that would sufficiently cover the needs for a minimalist writing style, tons of round robins on short syllables and all the things you need to mock up something of e.g. John Adams.
When you mean round robins on short syllable you mean when choirs do that "me tho so ri shi fu and so on" thing? It would be great if we had more detail in terms of syllables. I see libraries using the same syllables and that's probably because they want you to be able to layer choirs across multiple libraries. Though I would love to have a bulgarian choir that I would be able to layer with an orchestral choir (there is a library called Rhodope 2 but it has different syllables). We also need more marcato choirs, marcato is the best articulation in my opinion, whether it's choirs or brass, it has that punchy epic feel that sends you shivers down the spine. I am curious how AI will fit in this picture, it would be any nerd's dream to have his own choir to sing about all the cheesy things he/she likes. I see this happening in power metal, although they work with real choirs (which is actually awesome) but having a choir saying something that is meaningful to you feels like a dream, and using AI might help you if you can't afford or can't reach to a real choir. I'm curious how this will turn out, besides the mess that Russia and Iran are causing, it's still great times to be alive.

If you want a solo singer, there are some fantastic ones out there who can record themselves remotely. Los Angeles and New York are awash with them.
This if you are making money off your work. I would imagine with so many out there the prices are competitive.
Sometimes even loops can work since the involvement of melodyne apps.

If your still looking, I've got two in mind. The first is the recent Hearth and Hollow Folk Voices by Hunter Rogerson over at Spitfire. Hunter himself says that true legato was recorded mainly with the voice in the upper register but the entire vocal library blended so well together you hardly notice. I recommend this one specifically because it seems to be what you're looking for the most in a library. Features vowel transitions for singer to gracefully switch between while singing (from 'Ah' to 'Oh' to 'Mm') using a slider. This should account for any sounds you feel like sound like a vowel other than the one you intend to hear. Additionally, it's a vocal library, but not really a choir. It's going for the idea of regular people singing elegantly in a roomy spaces; voices of people you'd hear everyday versus classically trained singers (hence 'Folk' voices). I'd look into it more but it could be a candidate in your search.

The second is indeed a traditional choir. Chorus by Audio Imperia. Now I'll say upfront that I don't own Chorus, but I do own Solo (their soloist instrument library) and it features a Solo soprano voice both in operatic and 'angelic' styles. It's pretty much my favourite lead soprano patch for one simple reason: The transitions. Every note to my ear sound natural and the transition between notes is elegant and sublime. It genuinely sounds like how a person irl would move from one note to the next. If the intervals are short, it'l sound great, if they're large not as much... just as people go about singing notes. So if Chorus is anything like Solo in terms of singing, it's easily an A-star from me, but I'd check that out too. The only downside is that it's not cheap, but I do believe they also offer a more affordable lite version of it?

When you mean round robins on short syllable you mean when choirs do that "me tho so ri shi fu and so on" thing?
I mean specifically one (any!) syllable that i would be able to repeat. e.g. "na-na-na-na-na". There is pretty much no single choir library out there that can do that without sounding mechanical due to a lack of RRs. (And I don't mean pre-recorded material like you can find in Time Micro/Macro which you can time stretch but it is not possible to align it well with the beat and it is too washy)

See you soon!
6 singers?
For some reason I thought 5!

Top Bottom