What's new

Anybody using the Seaboard Rise?

tpedraja

I'm thinking of getting one so that I can ditch the mod wheel in favor of pressure sensitive keys. I know aftertouch can do this, but It would be nice to use the other 5D sensors to control vibrato. Ex. Pressing hard and wagging my finger to do a loud vibrato.

Does anybody have any positive or negative experiences with the keyboard in Cubase? I see demos of it using modeled instruments very often, but not much using sampled instruments.

but not much using sampled instruments.
That’s mostly because hardly any sample libraries actually support MPE. Making my Seaboard Block work with Kontakt takes a hell of a lot of tweaking and time, so I’ve mostly abandoned the idea. This simply does NOT work out of the box.

Also: using 5D to control MIDI CC’s sounds great on paper, but what you gain in control potential, you lose in terms of actual playability because the “faux keys” of a Roli do not play as easily as a regular weighted or synth action MIDI controller.

So I’m not really convinced any ROLI device is a match made in heaven for orchestral samples to be honest. I guess there’s a reason we’re sticking to faders and modwheel.

That said: the Expressive E Touché has made a far better impression on me, paired with Lié.

Try one in a store if you can. I purchased one in the past and returned it almost immediately – I couldn't stand the feel of the "keys" surface. Your natural finger oils and skin leaves a bit of a residue which makes it feel kind of sticky and awkward, I thought so anyway. It felt like I was playing on a firm pillow as a surface, it doesn't have a tactile and springy response I look for in an instrument - but that's just me. You may dig it, so I recommend trying it first if you can.

Alternatively, the Osmose was just released, it seems interesting - a standalone synth but with MPE-enabled keyboard expression. Looks and plays like a piano but you can wiggle and move the keys about for various expressive qualities. A bit pricey but I might consider it in the future to use more as a midi controller (personally wishing they made a non-synth model too, just for midi control).

Top Bottom