What's new

Any Samsung 870 EVO users?

jtnyc

Hi,

Amazon is selling the 4tb Samsung 870 EVO for $250 at the moment. I am still using an hdd for samples and am considering grabbing one of these. Seems like a super good price. As I have no experience with running samples off of an ssd so I'm curious if anyone can advise me. Is the 870 good for samples?

Any info appreciated

Thanks

Seems like a good deal. Assuming it’s a sata drive, so speeds will be faster than your hdd.

If you look around you may be able to get a crucial nvme 4tb for close to the same price if you want way faster speed than a sata ssd (seeing a crucial p3 nvme 4tb for $199 on Amazon right now).

Seems like a good deal. Assuming it’s a sata drive, so speeds will be faster than your hdd.

If you look around you may be able to get a crucial nvme 4tb for close to the same price if you want way faster speed than a sata ssd (seeing a crucial p3 nvme 4tb for $199 on Amazon right now).
That looks great, but I'm not sure how I would hook that up to my Mac Mini. I currently have all of my drives in and OWC Thunder Bay 3 and was planning on putting an ssd in it to replace the current hdd.

I have a bunch (3 for samples, 1 additional in an enclosure for mobile music-making) of the 870 4TB EVO SATA drives and they've been rock solid in my system. The reason those Crucial P3 NVME drives are cheaper when compared to other NVME M.2, is that they don't have DRAM, so they tend to come at a bit of a bargain cost. But if you're looking to drop the SATA drive into the Thunder Bay 3, I think you'll find the Samsung pretty reliable for samples.

Including this link just for context.

I have both Crucial and Samsung SSDs. Both have been solid for me.

Nice to see SSDs approaching $50/TB!

Related Note: For VI Sample storage, DRAM-less NVMe drives are not a problem. The initial write may take longer, but once the samples are on the drive, read speeds are great.

A week ago I did thorough comparisons of sample library loading times between my only SATA3 SSD (870 EVO 4TB) and my other four 2TB PCIe 4.0 sticks (WD).

I deleted the numbers but here's what I remember, same library that took 36s to load on the 870, only took 4.5s on the PCIe stick.

Cheers,
-RM

A week ago I did thorough comparisons of sample library loading times between my only SATA3 SSD (870 EVO 4TB) and my other four 2TB PCIe 4.0 sticks (WD).

I deleted the numbers but here's what I remember, same library that took 36s to load on the 870, only took 4.5s on the PCIe stick.

Cheers,
-RM
Which library and player did you measure?
It's been widely reported that the performance delta varies a lot depending on the player being used.

Hi,

Amazon is selling the 4tb Samsung 870 EVO for $250 at the moment. I am still using an hdd for samples and am considering grabbing one of these. Seems like a super good price. As I have no experience with running samples off of an ssd so I'm curious if anyone can advise me. Is the 870 good for samples?

Any info appreciated

Thanks

they are good drives. same as the name brands like crucial. These are cheap because of strong competition with the newer and faster nmwe/m2 ssd. Theres a few other reasons i cant recall now.

the main thing you have to be aware of are some cheap chinese "ssd" brands where its just impossibly good price. like $30 for 2tb or something crazy like that which obvously its a scam. They flooded the market in the last few years. but if you stick to the name brands youll be fine. Even if its different types of Evo or crucal etc. as long as its ssd itll be fast enough for samples and audio in one drive. it was for me at least. And specially fast if you are coming from HHD

The makers of the 'chips' that go into SSDs and RAM are currently making Billion Dollar losses due to a large oversupply.
There are very few companies that actually make the chips, as the majority of retail products are manufactured by companies that buy the chips and integrate them into products; storage drives and memory modules.

There is a cyclical nature to this and it is not sustainable.
So prices are expected to rise once this is resolved which is a part of the usual cycle.
The other thing that can happen is bankruptcy and/or government bailouts.
It seems to be easier to make the chips than to second guess the supply/demand curve.

The makers of the 'chips' that go into SSDs and RAM are currently making Billion Dollar losses due to a large oversupply.
There are very few companies that actually make the chips, as the majority of retail products are manufactured by companies that buy the chips and integrate them into products; storage drives and memory modules.

There is a cyclical nature to this and it is not sustainable.
So prices are expected to rise once this is resolved which is a part of the usual cycle.
The other thing that can happen is bankruptcy and/or government bailouts.
It seems to be easier to make the chips than to second guess the supply/demand curve.
Samsung actually manufactures RAM and storage modules though. They are one of the big 3: next to Hynix and Micron.

Samsung actually manufactures RAM and storage modules though. They are one of the big 3: next to Hynix and Micron.
As do Micron via their Crucial brand name. ;)
They are the rarity as implied here:

"The majority of retail products are manufactured by companies that buy the chips and integrate them into products".

Hi Guys,

So I bought a Samsung 870 EVO 4tb. I'm wondering if the formatting is the same as HDD's. I'm putting it in a Thunderbay 4 and I'm on using a Intel Mac Mini. I read that APFS is best for SSD's. I've always used Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Does it matter?

Thanks!

The prices really are coming down on these Samsung SSDs. I just saw that the 8TB QVO drives have dropped to $400 USD at Amazon. I found that pretty hard to resist, so I can combine samples from two 4TB drives onto an 8TB and repurpose the 4TB for video projects (I've recently started shooting 6K RAW video).

Of course, with any primary storage purchase, it also means I need to soon consider larger capacity HDDs for my local backups. A never-ending cycle of data hoarding, I suppose.

Here's the link for the 8TB at $400.

Amazon product ASIN B089C3TZL9
EDIT: Oddly enough, the preview still shows it at $429 on VI-C, but this is what I see when I hit that page.
Screen Shot 2023-06-04 at 2.48.40 PM.png

Hi,

Any info appreciated

Thanks

Sometimes the Samsung T7 is on sale for the same price.

Hi Guys,

So I bought a Samsung 870 EVO 4tb. I'm wondering if the formatting is the same as HDD's. I'm putting it in a Thunderbay 4 and I'm on using a Intel Mac Mini. I read that APFS is best for SSD's. I've always used Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Does it matter?

Thanks!
APFS for SSDs unless you are on a very old version of macOS. Under Monterey and Ventura (and possibly earlier versions, too), Apple recommends that all drives - HD or SSD - be formatted APFS.

Top Bottom