What's new

An even better method for articulation mapping in Bitwig. (Updated!)

Excellent ! We searched for something complicated, when it was so simple. This should be presented in the manual as "articulation manager" for good.
Bravo.
Thank you so much for your excellent work/troubleshooting in making this so better for Bigwig users.

I've now tested this fully mapped playing back clips with articulation changes and it is working PERFECTLY. I ran 120 instances and it pegged my CPU at 16-20%. That is quite a bit of CPU optimization in comparison, indeed haha.

It is worth noting you still need to use two Grids for samplers without any "lookahead" option to ensure the sampler see's the generated articulation before the playback note. I figured out corrected signal flow for that as well by inserting the delay Grid inside the passthrough FX Layer. I also think that a matching delay should be inserted in both the gate, note, and velocity to ensure no "goofy" things happen with clip playback MIDI. The delay just needs to be set around .10ms, just enough to ensure the sampler always see's the generated keyswitch first.

All the benefits remain such as the clearly stepped and labeled articulation inputs, and the ability to playback from anywhere linearly in a session timeline having the correct articulation play. AND you're not limited to the amount of articulations defined. WIN.

I will update the Original Post tutorial later on tonight after I am finished reconfiguring all my presets, and of course giving you massive props!

I wonder if there is a free reliable site I can just dump a template Bitwig Chain patch with this all set up so users can just download it to make things easier? That way they'd only have to define the one keyswitch pitch and then create selector layers and transpose them as needed for whatever VSTI they are using.

Cheers

He he, what if we add only one grid at project level, and a note receiver from it per track ?

Each track would receive the base pitch note from the single grid, then transpose it with the fx-selector and transpose device.
I think that actually might work? You insert the Note Receiver instead of the Note Grid in the keyswitch layer. There might be an issue with the triggering on/off of the keyswitch tagged note tho.

Also that's more of a session template thing and not recallable as a single serving patch. I dunno! haha

-edit- testing haha

-edit- Yup there is definitely a gate issue doing it like in the pic haha. As soon as I switch articulations it sounds like a drunken nightmare lmao.

Last edited:
Aaargh ! I have to give up with this excellent system, because It causes cpu problems and stuck notes, inducing a cpu load of 100%, when I use Audiobro's look-ahead feature.

Last edited:
I just posted a new thread asking about bitwig scoring to video workflows. Specifically: video scrubbing, possibility of dragging timeline tempo change to hit points, clear CC automation lanes in arrange view, and Pro Tools style absolute time markers that stay in sync with video when you change the tempo.

If articulation switching isn't working for you, what is your workflow? Do you use separate tracks for articulations? are there any libraries or sessions that become handicapped somehow?

I just posted a new thread asking about bitwig scoring to video workflows. Specifically: video scrubbing, possibility of dragging timeline tempo change to hit points, clear CC automation lanes in arrange view, and Pro Tools style absolute time markers that stay put with tempo changes.

If articulation switching isn't working for you, what is your workflow? Do you use separate tracks for articulations? are there any libraries or sessions that become handicapped somehow?
I now use the drum machine trick (insert a drum machine with renamed empty slots as first device of the track). Articulations are managed by keyswitch, and names on the piano roll if you select drum mode.
Still, there is no absolute time markers nor tempo mapping, so basically not possible to sync to video.

I read through this entire thread like it was a suspense novel. Kind of disappointed the end result wasn't more positive. It would be great if articulation mapping was added as a native feature. I'm trying to decide between switching from FLS to Bitwig or Studio One right now and the lack of orchestration support beyond multi-out routing is the biggest pain point keeping me from going all in on Bitwig. 😔

Funck's novel approach to Grids Keyswitcher (with recent changes) does work for me for standard libraries and Kontakt!
The bigger problem becomes editing this controller data. It is clunky, having to hover the mouse over to automation edit point so that it displays what articulation you are at, and then going to the inspector panel to make a change where the controllers amount is now listed by its percentage and not the articulation name.
An even bigger problem is not being able to easily make fine movements in tempo mapping because the range is not customizable, you can't draw clean natural curves. No midi comping or nested takes means you will end up with a thousand takes of midi clips littering your time line, and you need to remember where they are to drag them in to position for A/Bing. Lastly no video support.

Funck's novel approach to Grids Keyswitcher (with recent changes) does work for me for standard libraries and Kontakt!
The bigger problem becomes editing this controller data. It is clunky, having to hover the mouse over to automation edit point so that it displays what articulation you are at, and then going to the inspector panel to make a change where the controllers amount is now listed by its percentage and not the articulation name.
An even bigger problem is not being able to easily make fine movements in tempo mapping because the range is not customizable, you can't draw clean natural curves. No midi comping or nested takes means you will end up with a thousand takes of midi clips littering your time line, and you need to remember where they are to drag them in to position for A/Bing. Lastly no video support.
The automation lane has to be the one named "index" (dive in the submenu of the note fx selector, provided you named each slot according to the articulation). This way you have the name in the points of the automation

Last edited:
I'm not sure I follow the first part of what you are saying? haha

The point of this workaround is basically having something better than nothing in Bitwig, which was to just input keyswitch notes way down at the bottom of your piano roll and having to constantly cross reference what note triggers which type of articulation from a notepad or the VSTI interface itself. With this method you can at least just hit a shortcut to whip up the INDEX automation lane of the FX selector, then drag the index automation points up/down and choose from the list it goes thru.

It works really well for me. Robismz was having issues still because they have a "lookahead" option on their VSTI that doesn't play nice with it, but otherwise this should work fine with most VSTI's that have keyswitching.

There is the other perks with this workaround where we now have the proper articulations playing back from any playback position, where with traditional notes input into the piano roll, it has to playback those notes from the piano roll before the sampler knows to switch to that articulation. You can now move your playhead start position or rewind/fast forward and it's always going to play back the correct articulations (like starting playback midway through a long held out note if you have note catch turned on.)

I agree with everything else you say tho in the second half. I still use Pro Tools for post production/video stuff. If you are needing massive Orchestral VSTI templates for 10,000 queue scoring jobs to video, Bitwig is not the best tool for this. There is no video, no smooth tempo mapping, no timecode, no anchor points, and a whole list of things making Bitwig inadequate for post production and super large Orchestral productions compared to your other options.

My VSTI Orchestral use is pretty much limited to adding some light strings, winds, and brass to pop music productions, in which case this workaround has been doing great for me. I've been using it for a few months now with no issues. If I feel a production I am working on can use some strings on it, I just whip up these Bitwig Chain patches I set up with these workarounds and get to playing them like it were any other synth, only now editing the articulations is all set up and isn't a giant archaic PIA haha.

Bitwig has been an amazing match for the way I approach composition and sound design, and it's a great match for the type of stuff that I compose, which is mostly in the electronic music/pop genre side of things. It's definitely not the right tool for alot of users out there, yet. It is slowly adapting to having things professionals would need in other aspects of music production; for example in the newest beta for v5.2 they have added many editing features taken directly from Pro Tools audio editing, something I was very very pleased to see as a 25+ year Pro Tools veteran.

There are some neat things you can do tho pertaining to the sound design of Orchestral stuff. There was someone in the Bitwig discord spending the last few days using Bitwig's modulators to vary up the way every single note plays back from his VSTI, essentially inventing his own "infinite round robin" where that didn't exist in the VSTI at all, and the results did indeed sound more realistic. Neat stuff like "creating features your existing VST's didn't have" is something that is easy to do in Bitwig.

-edit- I forgot to add that I also agree that the lack of MIDI comping or something like the playlists that Pro Tools has is pretty cumbersome in Bitwig. I don't use the clip launcher to compose in Bitwig, but I have found a way of utilizing it to drag over clips from the arrange window and store "takes/playlists" over there because of how Bitwig has the feature of having the clip launcher integrated with the arrangement window compared to Ableton and others were clip launchers are on their own separate "island." Again, not the best, but it is a bit of a functional workaround.

Cheers

Last edited:
There was someone in the Bitwig discord spending the last few days using Bitwig's modulators to vary up the way every single note plays back from his VSTI, essentially inventing his own "infinite round robin" where that didn't exist in the VSTI at all, and the results did indeed sound more realistic.
Did they share their workflow for this? That sounds incredible.

I'm not sure I follow the first part of what you are saying? haha

The point of this workaround is basically having something better than nothing in Bitwig, which was to just input keyswitch notes way down at the bottom of your piano roll and having to constantly cross reference what note triggers which type of articulation from a notepad or the VSTI interface itself. With this method you can at least just hit a shortcut to whip up the INDEX automation lane of the FX selector, then drag the index automation points up/down and choose from the list it goes thru.
Your system is outstanding, and I thank you for sharing it. I was saying it works, in case this thread gave the impression that it didn't work. But I also feel that editing automation in bitwig can be clunky. Unless I am missing something, for me the process works best with under 6 articulations, because you need to hover over automation edit points in order to tell which articulation or index position name is current. Since the automation lane vertical range can't be modified I often need to make small incremental changes in the corresponding inspector panel which doesn't have the same visual feedback.

for example in the newest beta for v5.2 they have added many editing features taken directly from Pro Tools audio editing, something I was very very pleased to see as a 25+ year Pro Tools veteran.

Neat, which new features are you referring to?

The automation lane has to be the one named "index" (dive in the submenu of the note fx selector, provided you named each slot according to the articulation). This way you have the name in the points of the automation
Yes but you do need to hover over the points in order to see the names. Or am i wrong? Do you guys have constantly visible articulation names across the automation lane at all times?

Yes but you do need to hover over the points in order to see the names. Or am i wrong? Do you guys have constantly visible articulation names across the automation lane at all times?
Yes you're right. Personaly I now use the drum machine system, on a 2nd track.I see them, but as Bitwig doesn't highlight notes on the piano roll, it's hard to be acurate when far from the edge.

And for the vertical range of automation lane, I segond you. My main annoyance is for thd tempo (who make music at 600+ bpm ?)

Top Bottom