What's new

Abbey Road Orchestra 1st Violins - User demo thread

This is nice. I quite like the tone of AR1V1 on the tune. Again, it shows off the lovely soft dynamic layers of the library. But for whatever reason the rendition doesn't sound quite as cohesive to me as your version of the Mahler 6 Andante moderato you did with a similar layout. I can't quite put my finger on why. I don't think it's the presence of the harp. Maybe it's just the length of some of the accompanying sustains in this piece, which sometimes sound a bit more static than I'd like.

Any differences in processing, mics, or reverb between the two?
I imagine some of it is that this is suuuuuper slow and consequently even harder to mock in samples. I did try to get some movement into the long notes of CSS - CC11, 11 and 2 - but it's hard!

There was a little eq and tail on it - so here is clean

View attachment mahler 5 slow new.mp3

I imagine some of it is that this is suuuuuper slow and consequently even harder to mock in samples. I did try to get some movement into the long notes of CSS - CC11, 11 and 2 - but it's hard!

There was a little eq and tail on it - so here is clean

View attachment mahler 5 slow new.mp3
Yes, I know it's super hard to get samples to sound right on something like this, and you'd likely need more soft layers to even come close. Ultimately, it's another case of music written for an orchestra with infinite nuance at its disposal, whereas with libraries we have a finite number of samples that can only be somewhat nuanced. Also, don't get me wrong, I find your version excellent, and I doubt I could do as well. I just didn't find it quite as convincing as your rendition of the Mahler 6 Andante moderato.

Yes, I know it's super hard to get samples to sound right on something like this, and you'd likely need more soft layers to even come close. Ultimately, it's another case of music written for an orchestra with infinite nuance at its disposal, whereas with libraries we have a finite number of samples that can only be somewhat nuanced. Also, don't get me wrong, I find your version excellent, and I doubt I could do as well. I just didn't find it quite as convincing as your rendition of the Mahler 6 Andante moderato.
With Berlin Symphonic rather than CSS on Viola and Cello

View attachment mahler 5 slow new BSS.mp3

Thanks. If you have more time, it would be interesting (as a reference) to hear the same thing with only BSS.
Ah I would but I’m afraid I only have the cellos and violas - indeed I bought the violas just now for the piece I’m writing (first bit is in the composition thread) as CSS wasn’t doing it for me :)

A second take on Holst, Abbey Road One and selections, and of course ARO Violins I. This time I added Appassionata violas and celli.
Still haven't added anything besides Ozone and a light EQ in the master channel. Just playing with the mic options. By the way, really ARO sounds BIG, even at low dynamics you can feel the huge room...

Last edited:
Extrait - Durée du Prélude : Environ 14 minutes

01 - Spitfire Audio - Abbey Road Orchestra 1st Violins Professional - Legato Portamento
02 - Spitfire Audio - Eric Whitacre Choir Evo Grid
03 - Spitfire Audio - Fractured Strings

Posting this here to ask if anyone else noticed this, or if there is a workaround I'm missing? While the overall tone and realism is amazing, I am a bit let down by the performance legato short overlay... I love the performance legato in spitfire libraries. I like to purge everything else or just load up that individual articulation, and have the ability to play really tight, short notes as well as all different kinds of legato (runs, portamento, regular, etc). Huge time saver (and usually a resource saver as well)

They all work the same except the short overlay for Abbey Road is worse than any of their other libraries when it comes to tightness and definition (the chamber and solo are of course gonna be more defined being smaller sections, but even BBC and Spitfire Symophonic Strings has more definition and tightness, almost like they trigger a spiccato and abbey road only has staccato or marcato). It's a bit mushy and sloppy in comparison.

Attachments

• 2023-10-30 13-33-52.mp4
    10.2 MB
Last edited:
01 - Spitfire Audio - Abbey Road Orchestra: 1st Violins Professional - Performance Legato (Extended)
02 - Spitfire Audio - Abbey Road Orchestra: 1st Violins Professional - Harmonics
03 - Spitfire Audio - Abbey Road Orchestra: 1st Violins Professional - Portamento
04 - Spitfire Audio - BBC Symphony Orchestra Professional - Celli (10) - Legato
05 - Spitfire Audio - Fractured Strings - Violins - Statements Up (MAJ 2ND)
06 - Spitfire Audio - Abbey Road One - Wondrous Flutes - Legato
07 - Spitfire Audio - Fragile String Evolutions
08 - Spitfire Audio - Originals Cinematic Frozen Strings
09 - Spitfire Audio - Appassionata Strings - Cellos - Sustain
10 - Audio Imperia - Nucleus - Solo Oboe - Legato
11 - Spitfire Audio - Appassionata Strings - Violas - Legato
12 - Spitfire Audio - BBC Symphony Orchestra Professional - Celeste - Sustained

Last edited:
That track is all Spits Abbey Road so brass is Abbey Road Foundations
Nice! Is the French Horns on Waltz of the Sprites with the ornamentations and shakes also ARO Foundations? How did you pull that off? Sounds great!

Last edited:
Top Bottom