What's new

A talented composer could still produce a very good sounding film score with libraries that are at least 10 years old or older. Yes, no?

I see the benefit of new libraries, especially at this moment ..., but there are such great libraries that are older and have their own charm.
In the end, it is always the person who plays with them that gives life to the library, no matter how old it is.

And skills are sometimes overrated, there are many musicians who create something special through their creativity alone.

In this respect I say quite clearly, yes.

Old FX plugins were bad? well not all of them.
This is a reverb plugin from late 90s(!!!) that sounded better then some hardware units.
152519_1.png

I had a Yamaha DSP pci card with the fx of the O2R desk, and this thing sounded better!
On f****g windows 95 :rofl:

What a question is that even haha...?

Of course.. especially since you can process it all using recent plugins.

This is a sample based showreel with music by Matthias Günthert who is just insanely unknown but made some of the very best cinematic sample based in that time.

See the 2010 in the title... ;) So it's all from before, some of it from waaay before...
Some of the eletronic stuff sounds dated but otherwise... damn.

7:57!!!!

Oops, I guess I never got the memo, cause I’m still using ‘those’ old libs....

Will my hard drive explode because of the expiration date? oh shiite!!

Of course. Good samples are timeless. Look at how many talented composers use EWHO, Cinesamples orchestra, VSL and other libraries that are ages old.

It's usually the packaging and programming that goes out of fashion (which some developers at least try to update, but unfortunately, most of them don't).

But there is the question of efficiency with new libraries as compared to old releases. Is it better to work with good sounding libraries with sloppy workflow? Or is it better to work with relatively worse sounding ones that are much easier to work with?

Sounds like you already had your mind made up when you asked a question. Just saying based on your replies (1st page)

But there is the question of efficiency with new libraries as compared to old releases. Is it better to work with good sounding libraries with sloppy workflow? Or is it better to work with relatively worse sounding ones that are much easier to work with?
An interesting question! I always prefer good sound.

Here is a transcription of Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faune, recorded 16 years ago with the original Miroslav Philharmonic by music master Roberto Sogetti:

https://www.robertosoggetti.com/Prelude-Miroslav.mp3 (Prelude)

And here he is 11 years ago, demoing the original Miroslav woodwinds with SIPS. I still use these winds today - no microphone positions or true legato, and the oboe is hard to beat:

https://www.robertosoggetti.com/MiroslavSIPS.mp3 (Miro woodwinds with SIPs)

Scarlet Jerry

What gets you further - out of the box great sounding samples, or OK sounding samples with good mixing plugins and the chops to use them?

Top Bottom