What's new

A talented composer could still produce a very good sounding film score with libraries that are at least 10 years old or older. Yes, no?

A talented composer could still produce a very good sounding film score with libraries that are at least 10 years old or older. Yes, no?

What do You think?
Some of my favorite composers use the Spitfire Symphonic series, which is simply the rebranded British Modular series. That's ten years old, is it not?

To illustrate my point, listen to John Powell's YouTube channel where he posts mockups vs real, or listen to any of Trevor Morris' TV scores.

Musicianship will always trump equipment.

The question "would one want to with a professional deadline looming?" is a whole other ballgame.

In most cases, probably not.

Why not?

Newer libraries make particular improvements. That doesn't mean that older libraries sound bad. They sound great

Sometimes I again listen to pieces done over ten years ago with older libraries by Colin O’Malley and Thomas Bergerson and they sound great still. No reason to think that if they chose to try to do it again today with those same libraries that they could not.

Yes. Yes they could. Just go listen to some of Mike Piatti's, T Bergersen's, Leon Willett's, and Alex Temple's mockups from 15 (!) years ago, and yes.

Mike
I agree with this.

I still have a piece written by Thomas Bergersen using QLSO saved on my hard drive and it sounds great!

Sure. And a talented composer could still produce a crap sounding score with libraries less than 10 years old. We hear it all the freaking time.

With so much gear, I feel like it's far too easy to lose sight of the humanity behind it. And of course, anything you hear that's been used/released, well... someone probably thought it was very good sounding.

I'd suggest a truncation of the original question: A composer could still produce a film score with libraries. Yes, no?

At least that question can be answered with some certainty, without all the subjectivity and feelings and hypotheticals getting in the way of drawing a useful conclusion.

To Gunther’s question-yes.

to John Graham’s point, it would be a heck of a lot easier given the choices we have now. Who, ten years ago, wouldn’t have wanted access to some of the top end libraries we have now? It would have been a feeding frenzy.

Could you? - probably yes
Should you? - probably not

How many examples of (commercial) movie scores made with just libraries (synths don’t count) there is from 1926-2010 anyway?

My 2 cents : a talented composer can write something nice with only spoons and a sliding whistle.

Absolutely ! !

I put a mock up of a J Williams Cue and a Vivaldi cue up here that I made 16years ago using just the very fist EWQL orch library for Kontakt 1 It sounds amazing

Well constructed and composed music stands out regardless of how polished the samples are.

Inversely, poorly written and badly arranged music will always sound bad even if it’s made using the best and most recent libs !

It's impossible to write any kind of decent orchestral music without Power-Legato.

We all know this to be the truth.

It can be done for sure. But it's not limitless. There are some styles that will work for well with 10 year old+ samples, and some that won't.

Having said that, I still stand behind my VSL SE that I bought way more than 10 years ago, and still consider many of its sounds to be on par if not better than much of what is being put out today.

Very good answers to my question here! Thanks to everyone who replied here! I didn't ask this question to criticize new libraries! I am also enthusiastic about all the new possibilities.

Top Bottom