What's new

8Dio Choirs in 2023 advice

Exactly. And with some you just play Chords and enjoy.
Yes. Though I’ve managed to get some use out of Insolidus and Silka beyond playing chords. But they are libraries that are going to do what they are going to do and I have to write to that if I’m going to make use of them. They are not going to allow themselves to be shaped much at all.

Exactly. And with some you just play Chords and enjoy.
Or really start to mess around with them ... drown 'em in some silly reverb, layer them with something else etc... get the creative juices going and see what comes out. Slightly OT but there's something else happening when working with any human voices that I don't get out of any other vibes ... they seem to open different doors of inspiration. YMMV.

IIRC the choirs used here are Lacrimosa and Liberis. I'll admit they arent playing a huge role (the drums are the stars by far!), but they are fitting in very nicely here. As always, Ashton does an incredible job!

Last edited:
I assume Strezov and Chorus are still considered the best?
I do really like / use Strezov a lot, but I have probably 10 choir libraries, almost as many as I have strings, and sometimes I will use vocal / choirs from three or four different developers in a piece.

They each have their own ‘shading’ and strengths, and of course they all sound a bit different.

I wouldn’t be without EW’s Hollywood Choirs because of the word builder, which I love. But then I also love Spitfire’s Eric Whitacre Choirs as well. Nothing else I have does what they do.

So — not sure that helps but I think you have to simply trust your own ears and instincts. Of course it helps to have a very good listening environment to audition all this.

Good luck and have fun with it; my favourite way of deciding.

Kind regards,

John

[note: I have received free products from Spitfire, East West, and Strezov]

You can use Eastwest's Hollywood or Symphonic choir to make epic diss tracks so that's a good enough reason to go for those.

I have most of 8Dios choirs and they're for sure only really good for adding emotional effects to a song if you can manage to get the acoustics to sit together properly with a more fully articulated library. 8DIO also does the annoying thing where they don't sample the typical AEIOU phonetic vowels so it really sucks trying to make them match in a lot of songs. Any choir library that does that as far as I'm concerned sucks.
Lacrimosa for example does fit well with Eastwest VOTA in Symphonic choirs and the two can be layered but you're of course limited with Lacrimosas dumb lack of all the phonetics, it only has Ah Eh Oh and "Uhhhhhhhh" legatos completely missing the proper "Eee" and "Oooh" phonetic so you're pretty limited with what it can be layered under.

Last edited:
I have Liberis. It's a very nice library. To my mind $198 for all of these choirs is a no-brainer if choir is your thing. I mostly use the built-in Kontakt choir, and only as a sweetener.

Top Bottom