What's new

Cubase tracks color (background), HZ template.

JBZeon

I was watching this video in Youtube about Hans Zimmer talking about the sound and music in DKR and im curious with the background color in the Cubase Main windows, the black color around the track name, this is very useful to maintenance the tracks order when you have more than 200 tracks. Seem to be Cubase 6.x.

I always had in mind to do something like this, thought it was not possible but cant find a way to do it, if any, there is only option to modify the color track, but this not affect the background color.

Anyone knows how to set this background color or separations around track names in Cubase 6?.

(broken link removed)

Have you tried using track folders? Put all of your brass tracks in a folder, wind tracks in another folder, etc. Then you can mute them all at once, collapse/hide sections not in use, etc.

Those are actually just disabled MIDI tracks, with names like "(empty)", used as spacers around the track folders, to help the track folders ("Strings", "Brass", etc.) stand out better. HTH!

Haha, that's a smart way to do it. I'll have to try that. Thanks Brian.

Edit: It's disabled audio tracks ... you can't disable MIDI tracks in C6.5. But it does work surprisingly well. I wonder who first came up with this idea?

As an aside ... Hans, that's gotta be annoying with the reading glasses. No Lasik option?

Thank you all for the help. seem to be "disable audio tracks", at least it works¡. :D

Steinberg could include this option, some kind of separator....

Thanks all you again.

Brian, are there no secrets left in my life? I was wondering how long it would take "Young Composer" to figure this out for himself, and now you ruined the game.
But seriously, I've been beating up on the Steinberg folks to make things easier to recognize. I try to have as much pattern recognition as possible in my setup. Colors do that, different sizes do that, etc... It has always been a problem and will only get worse as our computers get more powerful. Reading tiny labels on tracks just takes you right out of the workflow. And since I'm old, I need glasses. I'm just saving up for the pipe and walking stick...
But it would be nice if this community added its voice and ideas to the different DAW makers in how to make this problem go away... Anybody out there got any ideas?
Hz

Anybody out there got any ideas?

Storm SB HQ?

Seriously, if you've been beating up on the Steinberg folks to make things easier to recognize, and they have not yet done anything - do you think they are going to listen to anyone else? SB is notoriously stubborn - and I am not talking about them not wanting to give info on bug fixes and features in upcoming releases - that's all fine. I am talking about their my may or the highway approach.

Hopefully some improvements will be made to the GUI in v.7

Cheers.

But it would be nice if this community added its voice and ideas to the different DAW makers in how to make this problem go away... Anybody out there got any ideas?
Hz

I've always thought that mouse-over tool tips functionality should be customizable. That is to say that if I hover my mouse over top of a track (anywhere in line with it, not just on the track's name), it should show me the track name either in an "Info" window I can put anywhere (like "Always on Top" for the mixer) ... or in-place with font sizing of my preference. And it should happen instantaneously. Fewer clicks, faster "what the hell is going on" answers.

You probably have more clout with them than I do, so if you want to pass that one along that'd be great. =o

~Stu

Brian, are there no secrets left in my life? I was wondering how long it would take "Young Composer" to figure this out for himself, and now you ruined the game.
But seriously, I've been beating up on the Steinberg folks to make things easier to recognize. I try to have as much pattern recognition as possible in my setup. Colors do that, different sizes do that, etc... It has always been a problem and will only get worse as our computers get more powerful. Reading tiny labels on tracks just takes you right out of the workflow. And since I'm old, I need glasses. I'm just saving up for the pipe and walking stick...
Hz

Maybe a small "zooming" bubble that pops up only when your scroll over the track label
:) sounds like something for very old people with eyes problems but .. Anyway I'm
Only 24 and I already have glasses because of years watching computer screens :/

What specifically are you guys having trouble reading in Cubase? Track names? I had that problem but I had to just come up with my own short hand for labeling. I use folders religiously. Colors, not so much (yet). What else though? Maybe I don't even know that I'm having a problem.

And I wear glasses at the computer. When I moved to LA it was so dry that my contacts just fell out. I might try them again but never at the computer. Too much strain.

not sure if they are Lemurs i read a post somewhere that said they are custom built hp touch screen monitor system he has a pair of them, i'm sure Maestro Zimmer will enlighten us if we ask nicely lol......i fact i'll do it now.....Dear Mr.Zimmer would you be kind enough to tells us about your touch screen things?

i'm sure he'll post we he can,

if your interested in touch screen, i use a pair of iPad 3's with the artsUnmuted templates they are fantastic i'm that used to using them i can't remember half the key commands anymore

Leigh

Can't you get medicinal marijuana for glaucoma in California? May not help the vision... but I bet EVERYTHING would sound better afterwards!!

Brad

...O.K., the touch screens. Any touch screen will do, or an Ipad, but when the amazing Mark Wherry build this system for me, Ipads didn't exsist yet. We started off with a cashregister with 128 physical buttons. Cheap, practical - and hell to program.
But the concept behind the touchscreen is the same as any keyboard. Middle 'C' is always in the same phsical place, and in my world "raise the velocity of the 3rd beat by 10" is always in the same phisical place. I think having your muscle memory know where any comand or function is, is far less interuptive to creativity than picking up a mouse, looking at the screen to locate the little cursor, move it over to the object you want to select, etc - all the stuff you can do so well with a mouse. It might only take a split second, but it is an interuption of flow, you have to switch your left/right brain over. It's the difference between using a Theremin and a keyboard.
So my touchscreen does a few things: it takes care of all the articulation switches in the sampler; it has all those menues hidden behind pull downs available all the time, so that I don't have to remeber that 'note length' is in Midi/Functions/Notelength at the top of the screen. Its faders for things you need continuous controllers for - and not just in the sequencer, but in Protools and any external device, in affect bringing the whole studio into a centralized workspace - and it lets you 'nest' comands (like macros) and it - most importantly with the sequencer - lets me select and edit notes in a grid of musical subdivision. Most music is gridbased: a scale for pitch, subdivisions for rhythm. It's not free-form pixel based, which is what a graphic controller like a mouse is so good for. For example, if I have a repeating pattern where I want to accent every 3rd 16th in a 32 bar sequence, I'll be mousing around while holding shift for a long time, trying to select all those notes. My touchscreen grid lets me select every note - either in a single bar, or for a whole part - with one touch. It looks a bit like the layout of the 808 buttons...
Since Mark custom designs our samplers, the touchscreen is really it's user interface as well. And as we add functionallity, it's easy to reprogram and add to the interface.

Now, one of the nice things about the touchscreen is, I get to design it's lay-out. I know where everything is, how things are grouped and what color they are. I don't actually have to read the labels on the buttons. And that is exactly the problem with the tracknames in large daw setups. it's not that I can't read the names, it's that I don't want to. The folder tracks are a tremendous step forward, but unless you really look, they are just another track type, more gray on gray, but at a quick (and I want it quick) glance not really helpful when you just want to scroll up and down fast and find something. I can't even make their background a different color (strings are blue, brass is red, etc). That's what bugs me. So our bargain workaround is to 'frame' them with disabled audio tracks. And, picking up where the "Young Composer" started, I blame Cubase for writing such crap music.

thanks for the reply Hans always wondered exactly what the hp monitors were doing, nice little bit of info for everyone there!!

Leigh

Top Bottom