What's new

Cubase tracks color (background), HZ template.

I use my Lemur for all patch changes, and because I don't have multiple MIDI tracks for each instrument, the colour coding, combined with folders works well for me. I also use the Lemur to trigger some very complex macros, but because Cubendo is very slow to react to multiple modifier keys, it is not as useful as I would like. This problem is something that I, and others, have been nagging Steinberg about for years, but either they can't do anything about it, or are not interested. It is a shame, because both Cubase and Nuendo are fantastic programs, but there are just a few niggles, and unfinished features that could become annoying, if you don't learn to let go and just find a workaround. :wink:

Touch screens are a mixed blessing, IMO. Whilst I like the ability to customise the layout, I don't like the lack of tactile feedback. There are some very exciting things on the technology horizon that may help with this, but until then, using faders, and other such devices that rely on touch, will remain a hardware solution in my studio.

D

I think some seperators with free to choose colors would be very usefull, also the colored folders are usefull too.

What I'm really missing is the chance to make some notes for tracks and files.

I think of another tool which you can use to create a note for a track or a file, or a timeline-position you have in your sequencer. If you add a note there is a tiny symbol and when you go over it with the mouse you see your note in a little window attached on teh track/file.

With that there should be an overview about all notes in the opened project and there should be a symbol in the timeline to see where notes where added and if you hover that, all notes at this position should be shown.

Would be very usefull for work in progress - projects or if you are working together with someone. You could save very quick ideas for mixing, or harmonies and with the symbol you everytime get rememberd.

There should be a chance to make links to other /tracks/files/timeline-positions but the editor should be very easy and tiny, a fast to use tool that eliminate all those yellow notes flying aroundon my table after two tracks.

Maybe with that, a track where you can place a simple text in would be very cool too. You have an easy track, where you can ever place a text in. So if you work with folders, you could close a folder and mark with the "text-track" what happens in this folder at this point and so on, without opening it again. You could give headlines to several parts of your project like "start brass crescendo" and "end brass crescendo" or something that's more usefull than this silly example ;) I think espacially in big projects, that go 10 or more minutes it might be a more usefull way than the old-fashioned markers.

I think I'll start writing a mail for Steinberg...

Well, this thread has quickly become gold with insight from HZ like that.

I'd encourage you guys to check out an ipad + TouchOSC. It's what I use my ipad for, mostly. You can easily program the layout/buttons/functions on the computer. Don't think you can do super complicated macro's like Mr. Zimmer's set up there, but I use it for all my CC controls, articulation switching (have one page for each section, etc). It's also wireless so great for using in a live room/recording away from the keyboard. Touch controlling EQ systems are nice as well.

I always wonder why Cubase does not provide more useful features that really support creativity.
Just take a look at Hans' touch screen and adopt it to an iPad App. Or recently I wondered about the Channel EQ - no visual analyzer, no simple ways to use high and low pass filters (without wasting the two bands out of four). Simple things...

I would also like to see different "tabs" for the arranger window where you could just make a different version of a cue (when scoring to picture) and easily AB different versions within one project...

For project compatibility I would like to be able to read out all loaded Plugins with their Patch Names offline so that I could easily re-open/re-create old projects.

Still "the best DAW is the one you know best" rings in my ear and is an essential truth ;)

As for the "Folder" problem, you could solve it with a function like "show only tracks within folder xy" (together with "hide unused").

I guess I'd buy a CubaseHZ ;)))

Anybody out there got any ideas?
Hz

Some years ago I sent a similar photo to the Steinberg gang, but never got a response.

The idea is to get this screen by only one mouse-click. I know some people are doing nearly the same by turning their monitors 90 degrees, but..... . :)

Attachments

• Cubase tracks color (background), HZ template.
    Cubas-screen.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 2,163
Another thing I would like in Cubase is to be able to record the tempo track via a midi controller.

BTW, I have exchanged my photoshopped picture. o=<

Alternate and curved tempos ala LP would be nice.

I can't really complain too much about Cubase though. I'd say that I have to get back into setting key commands. They were wiped and one point and I altered the way I work a bit. It was undoubtedly faster and more intuitive. I'm really thinking about the time wasted reaching for the mouse now after a few people have mentioned it interrupting the flow.

That's the problem. Technology makes information more dense in screens, more resolution, smaller letters. I have the same problem as Hans, the view too tired and those tiny letters only worsen ocular fatigue, i have no place to put some 100 inch monitors around here.

Ipad is fine, but the end is the same, too much information into something too small. I use it mainly for keyboard shortcuts, KS etc, i need to look at MAX with any (bigger) touchscreen to see how deep can go. Decisions between manufacturers are slow to come and I think that this problem does not have it in perspective or are not interested in implement.

Top Bottom