What's new

Zoom H4n Pro - Any tips?

This unit has 32bit capability...

Tascam Portacapture X8 6-Input / 8-Track Handheld Adaptive Multitrack Recorder

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1644741-REG/tascam_portacapture_x8_handheld_adaptive.html

Good for you! I'm in the market for field recording gear so, please let us know what you experience with the H4N Pro. The price point is definitely appealing and I'm thinking it might work for me.

Good for you! I'm in the market for field recording gear so, please let us know what you experience with the H4N Pro. The price point is definitely appealing and I'm thinking it might work for me.
I shall do. Really, it will need external mics to get very good results - good enough for using, say, as background sound on radio plays, games and such - but I figure that I can get some results that I can use as a basis for processing and musical sounds from the start. This will enable me to learn the recorder itself, and also get to know sound restoration and manipulation software better than I have so far.

Having played mostly acoustic guitar for around twenty-seven years (mostly electric before that), I've been getting very excited by all of the sound manipulation possibilities opened up by sampling, and by synth programming for that matter. It's nice exploring new territory; just as it is nice getting away from rock songs as a composer. Although... All of my compositions so far sound suspiciously like noodling with a keyboard rather than full compositions.

I shall do. Really, it will need external mics to get very good results - good enough for using, say, as background sound on radio plays, games and such - but I figure that I can get some results that I can use as a basis for processing and musical sounds from the start. This will enable me to learn the recorder itself, and also get to know sound restoration and manipulation software better than I have so far.

Having played mostly acoustic guitar for around twenty-seven years (mostly electric before that), I've been getting very excited by all of the sound manipulation possibilities opened up by sampling, and by synth programming for that matter. It's nice exploring new territory; just as it is nice getting away from rock songs as a composer. Although... All of my compositions so far sound suspiciously like noodling with a keyboard rather than full compositions.

I'm pretty sure I heard one of your composition a few weeks ago and it sounded like more than noodling to me!

I want to get into field recording mainly for industrial sounds. I mostly make Postindustrial/Dark Ambient music mainly because it's the only genre where I get any traction with my ultra micro boutique audience of 115 followers! However, I've been working on improving my orchestral and post rock skills. So, we'll see what happens!

I

I'm pretty sure I heard one of your composition a few weeks ago and it sounded like more than noodling to me!

I want to get into field recording mainly for industrial sounds. I mostly make Postindustrial/Dark Ambient music mainly because it's the only genre where I get any traction with my ultra micro boutique audience of 115 followers! However, I've been working on improving my orchestral and post rock skills. So, we'll see what happens!

I
Follow your heart. And give 'em what they want to hear. If you can do both, you'll be rolling in puppies!

Also 115 followers is pretty amazing. That means people who don't know and already like you actually appreciate what you are doing. That it isn't more is simply because more haven't discovered you. There's an audience there, for sure.

I'm okay with how some of my stuff is turning out. I think I'm on the right track to something. It's just getting there... And doing it consistently enough to pull a complete, substantial work together. But it has been tremendous working on this.

Industrial sounds are tremendous. I've been looking at the sample pack Voklm by Sampletraxx for instance. So rich and interesting, alive yet inorganic. I think that's a great thing to work on.

Where I live, I have both the sea and the countryside not too far away. Getting to the locations, and getting enough isolation to make decent recordings, can be difficult, but I'm keen to try. But I'm also interested in going into my dad's garage and hitting large bits of metal with a hammer to see how that sounds.

If I post any music involving a cat-scream organ, though, you may want to alert the authorities... I could have gone too far...

"Sound Devices MixPre-3 II 3-Channel / 5-Track Multitrack 32-Bit Field Recorder"

If anyone thinking going that path, I have the MixPre-3 and the AA batteries last at most 2 hours. If you're thinking doing field recording, that's not awesome (but of course you can carry more battery sets with you).

I got a V-Mount battery with USB-C and which is a bit heavier to carry around, but one charge last ages.

If anyone thinking going that path, I have the MixPre-3 and the AA batteries last at most 2 hours. If you're thinking doing field recording, that's not awesome (but of course you can carry more battery sets with you).

I got a V-Mount battery with USB-C and which is a bit heavier to carry around, but one charge last ages.

I have the MixPre10 and use NP1 batteries... I've recorded for about 6 hours continuously, with multiple mics 32/192k... One clever aspect with these recent Sound Devices recorders is that you can use multiple power sources and it will switch between them! Eg I also have the sled to hold two Sony L batteries (which I use with SD722 and 744 recorders) and you can hot-swap batteries!

Congrats! You’re gonna love it. :). I have and still use V1. I’ve recorded a lot of acoustic gtr with that thing. I just take the line out right into the audio interface.

Top Bottom