What's new

YouTube is removing the dislike count on all videos

Do you agree with YouTube removing the dislike count?

• Yes, remove the dislike count.

Votes: 39 39.0%
  • No, don't remove the dislike count.

Votes: 61 61.0%

• Total voters
Expected, but terrible move from YT.

'Inclusiveness' ends as soon as someone is not thinking like YT or any other company like that thinks people should think. All those 'everybode is a winner' or 'don't say that because you might offend somebody' are factors leading society to being weak, over-sensitive and depressed. There is no possibility of any kind of discussion without being able to criticize. There is no motivation for self development if the winner is not the one who gets the prize. Because why should I train, learn or work hard if I'm getting the same outcome that person who didn't bother to move his ass lying on the couch in front of TV?

By the way, history repeats itself. If anyone is actually interested in 'what's going on', I strongly recommend reading some literature from beggining and middle of XX century.

How is it connected with YT disabling dislike count, such a small and insignificant thing? It's just a sign of 'what's going on'.

A horrible decision, there were always trolls giving great videos dislikes but of course there are many crap content channels, who totally deserve dislikes to be higher than likes and this is just a blessing for them.

It's not that simple. I stumble from time to time on videos that are supposed to be informative but are just clickbaits for Amazon affiliate links and content = 0.

It's easy to spot these videos because the amount of dislikes surpass the number of likes. So from now on each time I see that for videos that total more than 100 likes/dislikes, I don't even bother watching.

Time saver.
I've seen way more cases where people just disagree with the content no matter how thoughtful it is. I've seen dislikes for outstanding performances of classical works, who knows why? Maybe because a Taylor Swift fan didn't like the Boulez performance of Varese's Arcana? I think removing both thumbs up and down is the easiest solution.

It means you now cannot dislike the thousands and thousands of Nazi and Isis Youtube videos...
For those kind of videos it would be better if one would NOT be able to dislike a video. In many instances a dislike actually can boost a video and its channel because it counts as engagement and that's a big factor for the almighty YouTube algorithm.

I've seen way more cases where people just disagree with the content no matter how thoughtful it is. I've seen dislikes for outstanding performances of classical works, who knows why?
True, but when people just disagree with the content or dislike it for some reason you will very rarely see the number of thumbs down > to the number of thumbs up. Or something is very wrong.

So when I stumble on videos that are supposed to be useful content/information but have a negative like/dislike ratio because this is just affiliate content, or very bad recording, or you can't even hear the speaker and can't get anything from what he/she's saying, or the guy is filming his ceiling when he's supposed to film his carpet or whatever, it's easy to move on.

There are a lot of videos trying to dupe people on youtube. And I'm not even talking about videos sharing political opinions.

68 people are morons. By all means take it out of view!

68 out of 8k - which is quite nice proof that the content is really good (views does not say anything)

When there is 6k dislikes and 8k likes then it is really controversial

For those kind of videos it would be better if one would NOT be able to dislike a video. In many instances a dislike actually can boost a video and its channel because it counts as engagement and that's a big factor for the almighty YouTube algorithm.
Erm.... What I was implying is that YT should not allow for this kind of content in the first place.
Let alone liking (or disliking it).

How are we able to determine if the ratio from likes to dislikes is based on people downvoting who have a legit issue on the video vs malevolent trolls who dislike bomb? Also, how are we able to determine this without our own subjective bias getting in the way?

It's great. Removing any form of negativity, including criticism, even when well deserved, is terrific.
Let's remove the dislikes and the comment section. We all know from history that hiding from reality is the best way of solving problems. Not to mention that censoring freedom of expression and letting only one narrative always worked well for humanity.
Stick your head in the sand like an ostrich = solution for all problems.

The status quo was not good. Drive-by dislikes are one of the many scourges of YouTube. Something had to change.

I see this as an improvement overall. However, my preference would have been to preserve dislike visibility but before any thumbs down is registered require that a sufficiently large percentage of the video be watched, and they have to provide some form of feedback as to why they didn't like it.

I'm not a prolific content creator, but I have a few videos, and I am always perplexed when a video gets a thumbs down. When I receive a thumbs down on a video, the message I read from that is "the Internet is better off without this video existing. Fuck you, and fuck your free content." When I have no idea why someone disliked it, I'm helpless to improve myself. But I'll gratefully take a critical comment any day of the week.

It means you now cannot dislike the thousands and thousands of Nazi and Isis Youtube videos...

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u3.jpg
The opposite is also true. Totalitarian regimes can't abuse this to oppress dissidents.

Here in my country, there are some journalists that I follow that will get ~1000 dislikes as soon as their video is posted. The supreme court is currently investigating the presence of a "hate cabinet" in the presidential palace itself.

The way around it, is to comment "Dislike" so everyone can upvote it. That way the most upvoted comment will be the one saying dislike and everyone can still see how many people dislike a video.

Until youtube does away with comments because of it.

Also, at least at the moment, I've noticed you can see dislike counts if you're not logged in. Though I'm not sure if that's by design, so may change.

There's a bunch of nonsense to be found here. Things like 'trolls being the scourge of Youtube' (they're the scourge of everything internet, but that's not the point). Your like-to-dislike ratio is still going to be positive if the content is good. The amount of normal people vastly outweigh the amount of trolls on the internet, even if trolls yell loudest.

But guess what? A troll can only dislike once. If you find you've received disproportionally many dislikes, the likelihood that your content is simply *not good* is vastly larger than that people are trying to bully you.

Honestly, they should've removed the comment section instead.

But guess what? A troll can only dislike once. If you find you've received disproportionally many dislikes, the likelihood that your content is simply *not good* is vastly larger than that people are trying to bully you.
I once uploaded a video that got 15 dislikes inside of 10 minutes (and mine is a very small channel, ~500 subs, so that level of engagement is highly atypical). Then, over the course of the next few days, the likes ticked up and organically took over. I don't know what actually happened there, but there's frequently something else at play than one-off trolling.

I once uploaded a video that got 15 dislikes inside of 10 minutes (and mine is a very small channel, ~500 subs, so that level of engagement is highly atypical). Then, over the course of the next few days, the likes ticked up and organically took over. I don't know what actually happened there, but there's frequently something else at play than one-off trolling.
The Algorithm being what it is, it's quite likely those dislikes actually came from your subs. Which is also odd, but still.

Thing is, you yourself indicate that it pulled itself straight within days. The issue corrects itself. Trolls are not the majority and there is no real issue we need this censorship for.

Top Bottom