What's new

YouTube is removing the dislike count on all videos

Do you agree with YouTube removing the dislike count?

• Yes, remove the dislike count.

Votes: 39 39.0%
  • No, don't remove the dislike count.

Votes: 61 61.0%

• Total voters

Darrell

Useless Warrior
In short: The dislike count will be private across YouTube, but the dislike button will remain.

From YouTube official blog:

Earlier this year, we experimented with the dislike button to see whether or not changes could help better protect our creators from harassment, and reduce dislike attacks — where people work to drive up the number of dislikes on a creator’s videos.

We also heard directly from smaller creators and those just getting started that they are unfairly targeted by this behavior — and our experiment confirmed that this does occur at a higher proportion on smaller channels.

Based on what we learned, we're making the dislike counts private across YouTube, but the dislike button is not going away. This change will start gradually rolling out today.

We want to create an inclusive and respectful environment where creators have the opportunity to succeed and feel safe to express themselves.

Full post:

"We want to create an inclusive and respectful environment where creators have the opportunity to succeed and feel safe to express themselves."

:rofl:

Interesting quot from a company that helped to create and promote extremism, terrorism, hate, racism and dangerous conspiracy theories for the last 10 years....

I agree with the sentiment. It’s important to prevent bullying. But I will miss being able to quickly spot a bogus or factually incorrect how-to video (or similar type of video meant to provide some quick “explainer” info) if I can’t see the ratio of likes to dislikes.

I think this is a very good move by YT. And I think it could be useful with the private dislikes too if they were constructive.
It's so easy to dislike a video and to me it seems like a cultural thing too. In some countries it seems like people just dislike a video, probably believing they're telling YT that they don't want to get notified with this content.

They could simply force dislikes to be accompanied by a valid comment. Their super-powerful AI system (that they use to analyze us and sell us stuff) could make sure that this comment is not nonsensical like "I don't like that". The video owner could also intervene.

I find the dislike numbers helpful in making a decision on whether to watch a particular video. I'd say the vast majority of videos with large dislike percentages are completely justified and like that for a reason. You get some absolute tools on youtube who create videos just to spread false info or generally try to spoil your day.

I think this is a horrible move and I'm fully convinced that our society's collective spine is slowly disintegrating. In a couple of years we'll be unable to walk. It's disgusting.

If you're to be allowed reacting positively to something, you must be allowed to react negatively. There must be balance.

I've also never seen an excessive dislike-to-like ratio on anything that didn't completely deserve it.

We wanna be more inclusive, so your dislikes aren’t included.

On a serious note, if you intend to make a more neutral playing field, why not just omit both likes & dislikes then? Leave them for the content creator to see and let people express themselves in the comments.

Until negative comments themselves become private only. But that would never happen, right?
🤔

It's not that simple. I stumble from time to time on videos that are supposed to be informative but are just clickbaits for Amazon affiliate links and content = 0.

It's easy to spot these videos because the amount of dislikes surpasses the number of likes. So from now on each time I see that for videos that total more than 100 likes/dislikes, I don't even bother watching.

Time saver.

Last edited:
Like many others, it’s disheartening to see (or create!) so many good, informative videos only to have them trolled by people for sport. I wouldn’t be opposed to keeping dislikes visible if there were some accountability: people should have to comment on why they’re hitting thumbs down, and it should only be allowed after watching a certain percentage of the piece. As it stands, it’s not at all useful, and only serves to feed the need to be a jerk.

Top Bottom