What's new

Why do people get so defensive about the DAW they end up choosing?

There is only one true

giphy.gif

Guitar players don’t generally diss others guitars….
I would only come to that conclusion is if I only hung out on knitting forums. Gibson owners even bash those who have Epiphones. Sometimes I think the higher the skill level is relative to what they criticize. Advanced users don't diss stuff so much.

The most absurd comment read to today was the Reaper was a simple program and Reason was more complex because it had a larger file size. That gets a trophy for "fanboyism".

Things I pick up from the Cubase thread was kids like FL and Live to make beats and they are easily cracked. I guess it depends on how you define kid. We are the least popular breed in audio production because most of us use desktops. Portability is still shoved down our throats. Give me a 5ghz CPU, 64gb ram and every sata slot used up to create "beats" any day. Most kids I know are into phones and Fortnite.

I haven't read this thread, but the serious answer is that it's part of the herd instinct - people want confirmation that they're part of the right group, they bought the right thing, etc.

And if you don't give it to them then to hell with you and everyone who looks like you, smells like you, etc.

Yes, we're all idiots deep down. :)

I don't care what daw people use...I just hate when people choose a daw and then spend most of their time moaning about it instead of finding the daw that works for them, or making their daw experience work for their needs.

Also, I hate when people make the pointless claim of "____ DAW is trash because it's always crashing on my computer. It must be the daw's fault because this alternative daw never crashes on my system."

I use studio one, but have a handful of other daws on my system and I get why people choose them over studio one. Whatever makes you happy and gets the job done.

To my opinion we have to work with multiple tools (DAWs, plugins etc) in XXIc. It depends on the projects. For example, I started with Cubase 1.0 & Logic v1.0 in the 90s, and still use both (latest Pro versions) for working on various projects. I use Cubase mostly for audio recording & mixing and Logic for music (MIDI) production. All is fine, so we do not have to compare A vs B.

Already a thing! FL Studio can run as a plugin as well as a DAW, it's awesome. I use it inside of Studio One so I can get its insane modular VST/midi routing capabilities within a more 'traditional' composing environment.
I had been wondering about how well FL Studio works as a plugin inside another DAW, and had a very rough time finding any reviews or experiences or videos about that way of using FL Studio.

So thanks for mentioning that you're using FL Studio as a plugin and it works well for you.

Last edited:
Might have to give FL studio a look again. There was a lot to like about it.

Not used it since version 5? (if memory serves correct) it was before you could record audio directly into it. This, in turn, lead me to Pro Tools, before moving to Cubase.

I haven't read this thread, but the serious answer is that it's part of the herd instinct - people want confirmation that they're part of the right group, they bought the right thing, etc.

And if you don't give it to them then to hell with you and everyone who looks like you, smells like you, etc.

Yes, we're all idiots deep down. :)
Herd instinct is people taking the first post for granted and making virtual signaling and sensibillity with this nonsense, that people are "defensive" with their DAWs. But it doesnt matter.

What s stupid thread.

People are dishing their daws regularly.

You made it even more stupid with that herd comment.
:2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

so pardon me, someone had to say this loud

On one hand, this seems to be a "clan thing", on the other the belief that you've made the right choice.

Personally, as a REAPER user, I'm no stranger to both. This particular DAW has a pretty passionate community, to say the least. However, I'm now personally convinced that switching from Pro Tools to REAPER full-time several years ago, was one of the best moves I ever made. Not only due to a much more fair price system, but in many traits that make this DAW unique in relation to others out there. This not only includes specific features, but also flexibility and a relatively fast development cycle that seem to follow the users' expectations to quite some degree. At least, this is my experience.

Of course, DAW is only a tool and the market is large. Most of the available options can "get the job done".

Guitarists do not dis other’s guitars, we covet them.

Also I’m an older guy - In my twenties, to make even a demo for your band, you had to go to somebody’s garage/studio, spend all day to get a 10 minute demo on a CASSETTE. And the price you paid would easily pay for one of the DAWs that we enjoy either defending or dissing.

I had been wondering about how well FL Studio works as a plugin inside another DAW, and had a very rough time finding any reviews or experiences or videos about that way of using FL Studio.

So thanks for mentioning that you're using FL Studio as a plugin and it works well for you.
It's true, there's virtually no info online. Luckily it's really simple - you have two plugins, one for a single stereo output, one for up to 16 (routing these back into mixer tracks will depend on the DAW you're using). Everything syncs automatically, works as I expected, no performance issues etc. When you click into the plugin you have the full FL interface to work with, just like using it standalone. You can have as many instances of the plugin as you want too!

The only issue I have is on Studio One's end - 'external' plugins don't automatically get included in mixdowns, so you have to record the FL output into track(s) in S1 before mixing down. Not a huge deal, but annoying and I do wish Presonus would fix it.

Might have to give FL studio a look again. There was a lot to like about it.

Not used it since version 5? (if memory serves correct) it was before you could record audio directly into it. This, in turn, lead me to Pro Tools, before moving to Cubase.
Yeah, FL is awesome and very capable these days! For me it's key feature is Patcher, which just makes it a breeze to set up velocity splits, complex multis, weird FX setups - anything you want really. My main reason for getting Studio One was FL kept crashing with Opus (though I haven't tried the latest version yet). Studio One has occasional crashes with Soundpaint - but because of the FL plugin I can use both together without issue. Remember FL has free liftetime updates, so you can download FL20 and give it a whirl - it's changed a lot since 12, my first version, I imagine it will be unrecognisable from 5 :)

Its the geek equivalent to the older timers bitching about how they will "only buy a Ford and never a Chrysler!". Sad but true.

Probably the same people who also bang on about why their operating system is better than yours (basically these people have been indocrinated into some evil OS/DAW cult)! End of the day - all of these things are just tools - some will work better than others for each and every individual - but hey - feel free to shout from the rooftops that yours is definitely the best because one size fits all + you need to be seen as an influencer on social media these days - right?! :)

Top Bottom